Braided line.... to good to be true?

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by carpfisherman11, Apr 12, 2006.

1. carpfisherman11

carpfisherman11 New Member

State:
    ohio
    i have spider whire and i like it so far but it does seem to good to be true
    the line is 20lb test but it is as thin as 6lb test line i know alot of people dont like it, i havent had it for long is there something i dont know?

2. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Click on the library above and go to braided lines .There will be more than you want to know in there.There are some things you might want to know like how to put the line on a reel so it doesn't slip etc.You must also be careful using braids because it will cut you badly , all of which should be in the library.:)

3. chubbahead

chubbahead Member

State:
    Ohio
    I used to always use braided lines when I was fishing for flathead. I loved it, never really had any problems. I haven't targeted flathead in probably six years or so, so now I usually just use mono since I'm just fishing for channels.

4. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    The best I have used is the power pro. It lasts for years and when you get worried about the line getting old tie it to a tree and walk it off the reel. Go back to the used end and tie it on the reel and reel it back on. You get new line for no money!

I have had power pro on my bass rods for 4 years now and still catch cats and bait;) with no worries.

One thing be careful setting the hook. you will literally rip their lips off because it does not streatch at all. period. A short snap will usually do it where you have to bull whip it with mono.

5. Lil Hooker

Lil Hooker New Member

State:
    Your BackYard BOO
    I also like power pro line the only thing you have to worry about it cutting groves on metel guides on the tip of your pole. Also if you have a spinning reel and it has the plastic piece near the part you flip over to cast out that will get cut up and the line will sometimes get stuck in there. I can't remember the name for this part but I will later and will post it. Also when snagged wrap a stick or something around the line and pull on that instead of pulling on your rod the line will dig into the reel sometimes and not cast as good the next time.

6. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    So far I really like the braided lines ive tried. A store had stren superbraid and spiderwire on clearance so I stocked up. Ive now got 30lb braid on all my bait/bass poles and love it. Also put 65lb powerpro on my main catfish pole, havent been able to test it out yet but Im sure Im gonna love it.

7. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I dont think the braid is too good to be true at all. I run 100lb PowerPro on all my rods and would highly suggest it to anyone. It is so strong and thin. I think some people just prefer mono to braid. Mono does have the strecth and is easier to cut off excess (breaks easier too). I have never had a problem with my rod guides, but I do use Surge rods with stainless steel eyelits too so it makes a difference. i think the mono/braid debate is just what fits your personal preference and type of fishing the best. Good luck with it! But I dont think its too good to be true!

8. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    "I have never had a problem with my rod guides"

I used to say that, but about a year back Whistler posted a picture of the slot in his stainless steel rod tip guide, and I kind of quit commenting. This year I've noticed a definite notch starting to form on the stainless tip of my oldest Tiger Rod. I've used both Powerpro and Spiderwire Stealth on that one. so it could be either, or both, that caused the wear.

But rod tip guides are not that hard to replace, I wouldn't worry about it too much. That rod saw a lot of use before the notch started. I prefer braid and will stick with it, and just replace tips if needed.

9. Lil Hooker

Lil Hooker New Member

State:
    Your BackYard BOO
    I'm trying to find the pics of the steel guide that was badly damaged by the braid. The ceramic guides have no problems I use 65# PP for most of my fishing I never have to cut I'm either going to pull what ever I got out or will just lose my leader.

10. wishiwasfishin

wishiwasfishin New Member

State:
    kentucky
    man the only and last time i used braided line not only did it mess up my tip top but it also screwed up my line guide on my real.another problem i had with it is i floater fish alot and the line just want sink when ya got a floater on the other end but i will have to say,i never did break it i even striated a few hooks trying to get them unsnaged.what ever you hook is going to give[well maybe not ever thing]:)

11. Lil Hooker

Lil Hooker New Member

State:
    Your BackYard BOO
    Thanks for reminding me thats what it is called line guide on the reel spider wire damaged mine not all my reels have the metal ones and I haven't had any problems.

12. wishiwasfishin

wishiwasfishin New Member

State:
    kentucky
    mine was a abu 6000 and it almost cut it all the way threw.

13. sgt_rob

sgt_rob Member

State:
    Bossier City, LA
    I've been using 50# Power Pro for 3 years now and love it. After readin yalls post about guide wear, I inspected my most used rods. I found no visual wear marks on the rods with ceramic guides and no wear on the reel's line guides. The line guides are made of what appears to be brass.

On the otherhand, I have some of those big surf rod/reel combos with steel guides that have considerable wear on the last guide. In my opinion, if you have ceramic guides, you will be good to go. Keep in mind, this is from only 3 years of use. The real eyeopener is that the rod with the most wear rarely gets used so I'd never use braided line on metal guides.

14. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    50# Spiderwire"Stealth" for 3 years now and no problems. I have some of the 30# but I'm scared of being cut by it compared to the thicker Spider.

Just think a 40# Flathead with the line wrapped around your finger. It could happen @ 3:30 AM.

15. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    Can't happen to me. I wouldn't wrap any fishing line around my finger. Been cut before never again, if I can help it. Good rod holders and circle hooks, bells, clickers, don't need to wrap finger.

16. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Cat Hunter

Only one time did I mess up at 3:30 AM and had my lines get crossed. Only had it around my finger for a few seconds with both lines still in the water. Yes some here may make a mistake. That was the first mistake I've made in 15 years. LOL!!!!

17. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    Good Morning, I'm Not A Fan Of Spider Wire By Any Means, I Use Suffix Titanium On Both My Fresh & Saltwater Reels With Great Success. It Is Really U.V. Resistant, A Big Problem Here In Florida & It Has Zero Memory.

The Braided Line Is Very Strong But I Have More Difficulty Tying Knots With It, Nor Do I Think It Casts As Well As Mono, J.M.O. :rolleyes:

HTH, Elliot

18. Ryan

Ryan New Member

State:
    Crystal, Minnesota
    Yes, you have to be very careful with your knots. I've done some tests, and by far, the best not for Power Pro is the Palomar. A lot of knots that work for mono will simply pull out with Power Pro. The next best that I've found is the Uni knot, but still, the Palomar was much better.

Another problem with the braids is abrasion resistance. If a braid rubs against anything somewhat sharp, it's going to break. Mono is much more abrasion resistant.

19. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    I've still got that pic at home somewhere. I'll post it again if needed. New tip costs about 2 bucks and takes 10 minutes to replace if you're slow. I think braided line is the best thing since sliced bread. Especially for a spinning reel. No more twist or memory in the line. You do gotta be careful if you're hung up though. You may break your darn anchor rope if you pull too hard! LOL Seriously, there is no stretch. If you pull with your fishing rod to unhang it, you may end up with a two piece rod, or three if it's already a two piece. Always point the rod at the snag and pull. And never, never wrap the line around your hand like you might with mono. It will cut you, everytime. But I believe there isn't a more dependable and cost effective line out there than powerpro. I've been using it on several reels for almost 4 years, I never would try that with mono. And it's fantastic for casting. Light line with big line capability. If you fish in areas with a ton of rocks, make sure you use a good quality mono leader because braided line doesn't stand abrasion very well. I fish sunken timber all the time and have no problems with it. But I'd be careful in rocks.