Braided Line & Rod Tip ?'s

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by anakin, Aug 1, 2006.

1. anakin

anakin Member

State:
    Florence, Az.
    How many of you have had rod tips ruined by braid? Ive heard one good fish can put a groove in your rod tip. I been using 80# gorilla braid on my new tiger sticks & would hate lose a pole because of it.

2. cschottfish

cschottfish New Member

State:
    Ofallon, Mo.
    Thats the bad part of braids when the coating whers off there are abraseve. I like fire line seams the coating last a little longer.

3. catchaser19

catchaser19 New Member

State:
    UTAH
    If you want to use braids. The safest braid is spiderwire stealth, because it is coated with teflon, and it takes alot longer for it to wear off, while the other braids use just regular wax, which can be gone by the time you finish your first trip with it. Hope this helps and good luck:cool2:

4. shuorc

shuorc New Member

State:
    fl
    I've used 50# spiderwire for grouper fishing since it came out, same rod, caught a 22# in 220 ' and no groves. like the better feel of the bite.--shu

5. M.Magis

M.Magis Member

State:
    SE Ohio
    All braids will eventually wear a groove in the tip, unless it's ceramic. A new tip is only a dollar or two.

6. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    Thats what is keeping me from trying this stuff because I use St.Croix and Fenwick gear and don't wanna ruin the tips! I'm not a rich man and they were gifts for finishing my ChemoTherepy. I dont wanna ruin them. any tips on a good brand that doesent cause the grooves?

7. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Frankly, I have several rods I have retired this year due to this kind of problem, but it was caused by mono over one to three fishing seasons (I fish over 300 hours a year).

The key seems to be to keep from using metal eyelets. Ceramic doesn't have the same problem.

Over 150 hours so far this year with braid and no problems yet.

8. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    Well I have well over 300 hrs this year and probably three times that in a season. Thats why it's not been used yet. I should do equipment reviews!

9. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Yes you should!

I was just saying that I have worse luck with mono and metal eyelets than I do with braid and ceramic. btw: I use Power Pro. On the box it says it won't cause this problem. So far it seems to be true, but my time doesn't equal yours.

10. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I've been using braid almost exclusively for several years now, and I have had zero problems with wearing the guides. I only use ceramic guides, though, so maybe that has a bearing on things. Early on, there were problems with braids and guides, but I think that has been pretty much resolved. I use powerpro with no problems.

11. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    The problem with "TALKING" about braids is sorting the urban legend from the granules of truth.We did a complete ,detailed and long discussion about this several months ago and it should be available in the line threads.The first braids had problems of picking up dirt because of their waxy coatings and did wear guides due to the abrasive effects of the imbedded dirt.Particulary like some one mentioned the metal guides and tiptops.Subsequent manufacturing proceeses have been much improved and there hasn't been any wear problems with ceramic guides.BEWARE what looks like ceramic and is just plastic.If you have a 20$ rod I doubt the manufacturer is going to put FUJI top of the line guides on it at 5-7 bucks a pop.Having said that the new braided lines are much smoother ,cast better and have impregnated coatings if necessary.These coating don't wear off per se and they dont pick up dirt.Don't worry about St.Croix or Fenwick rods.Should anything happen they would fixit without question but both of those companies use the best components,Should anyone need to replace a tip top or guide use FUJI ceramics available from Cabelas and many othe places.Lets be careful what we say in giving advice and make sure we are passing along current info.:smile2:

12. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    I agree totally with you Jim. There is a lot of people out there that just stay with what they're used to or repeat what they hear instead of keeping up to date with new tectnolgy of the times. I've used braids all my life and the old style did damage rod tips but this new stuff will not. I've seen more damage from mono now on my wifes rods then from the braids on mine. She also likes the mono.

13. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I have never had a problem with using 65lb power pro. I easily put in 300hrs a year and use pretty much one rod exclusivly due to only allowed one line in MN. I havent had any sort of groove problem with the same rod for 3years and even if I did its simply fixed by replacing the worn tip.

14. kickin_wing

kickin_wing New Member

State:
    Illinois
    It doesnt make sense to me that any line would groove your line guide, if you had stainles steel giudes.

15. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Personal experience:

My oldest Tiger Rod is about 3 years old now. I've used exclusively PowerPro and SpiderWire Stealth manufactured within that same time period. This rod has seen a lot of heavy use. The result? Early this year I noticed a slight grooving of the stainless steel tip, which has progressed to being a slight notch now.

Recomendation: Don't worry about it. Tips are cheap and easy to replace. I plan to use one with a ceramic or aluminum oxide insert, which will probably outlast me. And I plan to keep using braid.