Braided Line Question

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by brian88b, Oct 14, 2009.

1. brian88b

brian88b Member

State:
    Fairdale, KY
    Hey Bro's and Sis's I've never used braided line either but it seems like the way to go. I have read through most of the threads on "fishing line review" and can't seem to find what I'm looking for, a little help please. Now my understanding is that the braided line has been referred to as a "hacksaw" as far as wear and tear on the eyes. Is this myth or fact ????? Will I be safe dragging in hogs on my rods with my FUJI eyes that have the inserts or will I just eventually chew my eyes up. Do you have to use the eyes without inserts such as the ATC TITATIUM NITRIDE SCUE Casting Guides ??????????:confused2:

2. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have been using braid for about 3 years and have no problems with the eyes on my rods. Your best chance for this problem will occur if you use a good rod when spooling on the braid. I would recommend using an older rod to mount your reel on when spooling on new line. I would imagine running 300 yards with tension across the rod tip eye may cause damage.
    Good luck.

3. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    When P-Pro came out there was problems with it cutting guides. Since then P-Pro changed their coating and claim this problem has been solved.

I use 65# and I have no problems at all.

4. santeefishhunter

santeefishhunter New Member

State:
    north caro
    You will not have any problems with braided line cutting your eyes at all. I have 15 rod/reel combo's for catfish and they are all ok. I do start off with a little bit of mono on the spool and then finish with braid so it won't slip,but that is all I do. I think you will love the braid if you give it a chance.:cool2:

5. brian88b

brian88b Member

State:
    Fairdale, KY
    Thank You all SO much for the answers. Santeefishhunter when you talked about spooling a little mono on the reel first and then finishing with braided, what kind of knot do you use to join the two ????

6. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    ive had spider wire cut my eyes a little but i ahd waaay too much tension on it..shoulda loosened the drag..no problem with power pro though

7. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Here is the link to help ya out.
    http://www.powerpro.com/publish/con...t/using_powerpro/knots/uni_to_uni_splice.html

Another way is to run tape around the spool first..then no mono is needed,,this is what I do. Both ways work equally well.

8. santeefishhunter

santeefishhunter New Member

State:
    north caro
    The UNI to UNI is the knot I do use !:big_smile:

9. brian88b

brian88b Member

State:
    Fairdale, KY
    Great Questions all answered Thank You all again for the help :wink:

10. Salthart

Salthart New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I haven't used braid since I was a kid and that was the old stuff, So in a way I don't really know. But as a hobby I used to cut gemstones so I do have a good understanding of abrasives. And thats the trouble IMO. THe abrasives and not the line.

The pockets in the braid hold tiny bits of grit picked up from the water and or the bottom. Where I could drift fish my home lake with braided line on steel eyes and never have a problem because the water is so clean, Another person can bottom fish and wear out Aluminium oxide guides. ( Would take a while )

Move farther down the Catawba lakes chain and the water gets more and more clouded with suspended grits and you get more wear. But then there is the type of abrasives found in your area. Red clay is not going to do as much damage as say quartz sand.

There are areas in the US that have a good bit of Corundom (Arkasas stone, Sapphire and ruby) and in those areas, That is Aluminium oxide. Your gonna ruin guides the best you can do but never reeling in a dirty line will make a huge difference in how long your guides last.

Sorry if this was beyond what your asking but I thought I'd add it just in case.

11. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I have heard that the pure spectra line won't cut the guides like the dyneema will. I dont' know if it will or not. It may be a marketing thing, saying the other line ain't no good. but dyneema maker say the 199% spectra has its drawbacks too.

12. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona

EXCELENT POST !!!

13. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    GOOD TIP!!!!!

MY FAVRITE COMBO OF ALL TIME USTA BE THE SHAKESPEARE TIGER SPINNER COMBO BECASUE IF THE $$$ AND HOW THE REEL WAS ALL METAL AND I WASNT INTO HARDCORE CPR TACKLE(AT THE TIME)....SINCE GETTING INTO THE BIGGER BAITCASTER REELS I LOOKED AT THE ROD TIP OF THE TIGER COMBO AND IT WAS 100% DESTROYED!!!!!!!:crazy: SAD PART IS I ONLY USED IT A FEW TIMES WITH BRAID BUT I GUESS THAT THE MOST GENTAL BRAID IN THE UNIVERSE DONT MATTER WHEN UR ROD IS CRAP!!!!!!!(IM SURE MONO HAD A PART AS WELL)............ THE BOTTEM HALF OF THE ROD IS NOW A SACRIFICIAL "SPOOLING COMBO"......BASICALLY ALL I TRUST IT FOR NOW..... SHAKESPEARE USTA BE MY FAVORITE COMPANY BUT NOW I THINK OKUMA JUS KICKED ITS WAY INTO MY FAVORITE REEL CO. :wink: EGALE CLAW SNAGGIN RODS ARE MY #1 CHOICE FOR RIVER FISHING OR CPR!!!!

LeRoy

14. countryboy79

countryboy79 New Member

State:
    nc
    The old original braid didn't have a coating on it,,it would cut lines in to the last eye on my rod like a saw..The new braid has a teflon coating on it. I have no problems with that..