Braided Line / Power Pro

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by WylieCat, Jun 9, 2008.

1. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I finally put Power Pro line on two of my catfish rigs. I had tried it on my bream and white perch rods a wile back and it worked well, so I spun up two lightweight rigs to try out drifting.

The first thing I like is the lack of stretch for hook-ups while drifting. The rods I rigged were the ones that stayed closest to the boat, but I can see it really working well far behind the boat.

The other thing I like is that it casts really well. The smaller diameter really flys off the reel. I can see this coming in handy when anchored.

The one downside I see is that it tangles really easy in the smaller diameters. 15-20 pound line is like sewing thread!! The knots are a lot harder than mono to untangle, and you are almost always cutting and retying.

The cost of braid is a lot higher, but that is offset by the fact that is appears to last longer than mono, thus you do not have to respool as often.

My conclusion is this; the line is fine for anchoring and casting, but it is not a good choice for drifting.

2. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Dieter,not sure about your drifting conclusion.When I drift, I bait up, cast out then let the line freespool out to the required distance.Of course occasionally I have to reverse the process when one of those whopper Santee cats latches on but drifting would be the least troublesome use in my mind.One piece of advice I always give to potential braiders is ;Go heavier than you think.The one true weakness of braid is abasion resistance.Not that its intrinsic to braid but simply because its so much thinner.Abrasion resistance is about mass really.Also if you choose a braid with a core it is a little larger than the non core braids which helps with the knot thing.I believe Stren braid is a good example of a core.I use 80lb on all my PENN 7500s and FINNORs and just dont have any trouble at all.No wind knots nothing,and I anchor and cast frequently also.I use 10lb braid on my bait catching rigs and trust me I can hear those perch thinking about nibbling.My bait catching ratio skyrocketed when I switched to braid over mono.Good luck:big_smile::smile2:

3. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    May I suggest to use the 80 to 100# PP as it is the diameter of roughly 18/20 pound mono. It still casts like a champion! I know the knowledgable Pee Dee Catmaster James Matherly swears by it, and he does a lot of drifting the Santee. I will concur it's benefits while anchored too. I see NO disadvantages of PP. Buy the 80 to 100# and if you don't like it, I'll buy the remaining line from you. That's how confident in this line I am! BTW: I find that the braided PP in the 80 to 100# diameter actually untangles BETTER than mono if you don't pull any of the tangles TIGHT into a knot. But then, if you do get it knotted, the line WILL unknot much better than mono. I can see where the smaller diameter braid might be a booger with knots, but not the big stuff. Just MHO, but I have been using it for about two months and it is a dream come true for me. This line has redefined my hookup up ratio and tackle loss.
    BB in SC

4. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Ive tried a few different braids and power pro seems to be the best. Although I do believe when it tangles up for good ill stick with mono. It seems it just isnt worth the hassle when one oops of casting can ruin that spool of line. With just dropping bait off the side of the boat I think its as good as you can get though.

5. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I been a castin' for 50 years, and I can put six, eight, or ten rods in the water quicker than a cat can wink it's eye. (pun intended) Rarely backlash unless my mind jumps time, or starts wandering. Might happen NEXT cast, who knows?? :wink: I don't see the tangling issue to ever be in the equation of my decision to fish this line. To me, it's easier to untangle than mono.
    BTW: We had some gars tangle up three of four rods at the time last weekend with some major tangles. It was no issue for me and Peg to work it loose. it would have been a nightmare with mono.
    BB in SC

6. Kyle

Kyle New Member

State:
    Kansas City - Olathe
    Might happen NEXT cast, who knows?? :wink: I don't see the tangling issue to ever be in the equation of my decision to fish this line. To me, it's easier to untangle than mono.
    BTW: We had some gars tangle up three of four rods at the time last weekend with some major tangles. It was no issue for me and Peg to work it loose. it would have been a nightmare with mono.
    BB in SC[/quote]

Went out saturday night and I had Power Pro 65lbTest on one rod and 40 lb Test Big Game mono on all my others (I'm experimenting w/ braid)..Had no problems with either all night..HOWEVER, my buddy in the back of the boat had Spiderwire I think, or some braid on all of his rods, and I swear he must have spent a total of about 2 hours un-tangeling lines. I kept telling him to cut and re-tie, but he kept saying 'i've almost got it...' after just about every fish he couldn't get his line back in the water for at least 30 minutes! Pretty rediculous I thought

7. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    You got it, Kyle!
    BB in SC

8. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    i like spiderwire better than powerpro just my opinion though

9. Texas Trapper

Texas Trapper New Member

State:
    Texas
    Went out saturday night and I had Power Pro 65lbTest on one rod and 40 lb Test Big Game mono on all my others (I'm experimenting w/ braid)..Had no problems with either all night..HOWEVER, my buddy in the back of the boat had Spiderwire I think, or some braid on all of his rods, and I swear he must have spent a total of about 2 hours un-tangeling lines. I kept telling him to cut and re-tie, but he kept saying 'i've almost got it...' after just about every fish he couldn't get his line back in the water for at least 30 minutes! Pretty rediculous I thought[/quote]

I have gone to Power Pro for all my reels. I use 20# red on all my light tackle, 30#red on my white bass poles, and 65#green on all my catfish tackle. I have found that this stuff works on every kind of reel that I own , and believe me I own every type of reel there is.:big_smile:

10. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Bill, interesting observation on the tangle issues with the line.

IF I was ever to use Power Pro on baitcasters for trolling or drifting I would have to go with a heavier weight line like you said. That should probably help minimize any problems. 80-100 pounds just seems SO DANG BIG in my mind for catfish! :smile2:

One day, I am sure, I will give it a shot. :wink:

11. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Trust me!!!!!!:smile2:Just got through battling a 50lb flathead and that 80lb braid looked like sewing thread!!!!!!:big_smile::eek:oooh:particularly when I had both hands on the rod,bent to maximium displacement in an attempt to keep him out of the anchor rope!!!! Bills point is well made and I should have made it also.Knots are easier to untangle with higher lb test braid.The secret to braid is to give it a afair test.If you have a proclivity to backlash your baitcasters then it might not be for you although the only thing it does is tends to dig in more than mono because it is thinner.There is already one opaque braid on the market and if they ever find a way to make clear then I think mono will definitely fall to second place,:big_smile:

12. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    <If you have a proclivity to backlash your baitcasters then it might not be for you>

If you have a proclivity to backlash your baitcasters regularly then BAITCASTERS might not be for you. :)
    BB in SC

13. rockfordflathunter

rockfordflathunter New Member

State:
    rockford,illino
    Well im fishing only my second year with power pro 65lb test.The only issue i have had is if you get a flat dragging that line on rocks its all over .I fish the rock river in illinois and am going to go with 100lb test next year for more abbrasion.