Braided Line On Which Spool?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Lil Hooker, Jan 17, 2006.

1. Lil Hooker

Lil Hooker New Member

State:
    Your BackYard BOO
    I got a quick question for you guys who use braided lines. I got some power pro and a new reel. The reel has 2 spools the aluminum one and a plastic one. I was wondering if you guys had a prefernce of spools to use with braid or know of a reason why you might use over the other. Thanks in advance.

2. muskyman

muskyman Active Member

State:
    Loudon TN
    Name:
    David
    Only the aluminum ; defintely do not put it on the plastic one. Under alot of pressure, it will crack, warp or break. Been there done that.

3. vini

vini New Member

State:
    Fresno
    Is it similiar to something like spiderwire hooker?

4. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    I would go with the alum. and I put 25 yards of mono on then the power pro.

5. stickthrower

stickthrower New Member

State:
    Possum Kingdom Lk, TX
    Definately the aluminum one. I have found out the hard way that you can even break plastic ones using mono and getting to much pressure when reeling in your line. If using a reel with a plastic spool and I catch a big fish I now let out enough line to insure that I have all the used line out & then reel it back in to make sure I don't have to much pressure. Found out the hard way.:eek:

6. Lil Hooker

Lil Hooker New Member

State:
    Your BackYard BOO
    Thanks for the input everyone I was thinking the same thing. Ya Vini it's like spider wire casts like a charm:)

7. Justin

Justin New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    When spooling the Power Pro we just run some black electrical tape around the spool a few times and then tie the Power Pro on to the spool.:)

8. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    I would use the aluminum less flex. But I have not had any problems with braid and plastic spool, or maybe the spool I have is composite.

9. misterwhiskers

misterwhiskers New Member

State:
    Trenton
    good advice on wrapping the spool with mono or tape,also you wanna be sure of the rod tip your useing also!
    i believe ceramic is best.