braided line on spinning reels

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by katmax, Dec 20, 2009.

1. katmax

katmax New Member

State:
    griffin ga
    how well will braided line work on spinning reels...thanks for the info.:0a31::0a21::0a35:

2. hawgmaster

hawgmaster New Member

State:
    SE columbu
    i have used it on a few of mine and work just fine but caution if you use the fireline braid tie some mono to it fist to fill a few turns on the reel as it will just slip on the spool. lesson learned the hard way on this.

3. hawgmaster

hawgmaster New Member

State:
    SE columbu
    also on the cheaper reels the line will after time cut into the line guide. this has happened once to me so i upgraded to better reels and havent had that problem since.

4. wabah58

wabah58 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I put black tape on the spool before I install the braid. Keeps the braid from slipping.

5. greg

greg USCA - STAFF Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    GA/ Ia
    I have braided line on all my reels, I only use spinning reels. I use mono line the same diameter as backing on all my reels to avoid slipage. For exemple I use 20 pound berkley Big Game mono as a backing to my 100 pound Power Pro. electric tape will also work but it is a matter of choice. Hope this helps

6. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I am considering some braid on my spinning reels, just the small ones. I have braid on some conventional reels, and I put electrical tape on them to keep the braid from slipping.

7. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    I love it,, no line twist,, use a tape backer,,,:wink:
    Tried it for the firt time this year and love the secitivity..:wink:
    Puddle

8. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I got it on all my wifes spinning rods,never had a problem with it.After I tie the line to the spool,I give it 5 or 6 half-hitches,never had a problem with slippage after that.

9. whiteriver

whiteriver New Member

State:
    in
    Where are you you putting those half-hitches Pat? The spool or the wife? Never thought about tieing them to the wife before. :smile2:

10. keepitsimple

keepitsimple New Member

State:
    virginia
    I've been using Fireline for years on my baitrunners. I tried a few other brands and found they will slip on a spool. Generally what I do is spool enough 30lb mono for backing to allow 150 yards off braid. Haven't had any problems at all doing that.

11. LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN

LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN New Member

State:
    sc
    I have it On my Shimano Spheros reels and love it.Make sure it is packed tight and you will love it. I use 65lb and 100lb with great results.

12. steveturner024

steveturner024 Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Steve Turner
    I use braid on all my reels. I wouldn't use anything else.

13. katmax

katmax New Member

State:
    griffin ga
    thaks for all the help and info.....:0a31:

14. tricitycatter

tricitycatter Member

State:
    Washington
    I have only had a few months (9 mo) experience with braided line, all my reels are spinning reels, got 30lb braid on 2 of em right now for steelhead. I am totally impressed with it so far, only down side is knot selection that will work & not too complicated to tie in little or no light. I have about 5-10 yrds of mono put on the reel before the braid to keep it from slipping & to keep it from cutting the spool, I have it strung at sporting goods store so I know it was done right & save me the hassel. I have used Stren, Berkly, Calcuta, & power pro braid soo far this year & I find the Power Pro & Calcuta are more supple & uniform than the others, that is not to say they are better but that is important to bait presentation with Steelhead. Stren & Berkly have a bit of memory in my experience with them but that doesn't mean that it would on a level wind or bait caster, I have only used it on spinning reels. Hope that helps answer you question. I am gonna have about 300 yrds 40lb braid put each of my Okuma Avenger 55a's sometime in the next month, is gonna cost about .10-.12 per yrd so I'm looking at $60 to do it, but it will be worth it to me, tired of lossing the real big ones to snags.

15. tricitycatter

tricitycatter Member

State:
    Washington
    Since we fish all year long here I have had the distinct pleasure of fishing braid in weather below 32 degrees. One major downside to that is line freezing on the reel, but I have found that if you soak yer spool (with line on it of course) with Spray Silicone (not WD-40 or Penatrating oil) it prevents the braid from soakin up water & freezing, that is very important here when using bobber stops for steelhead cause bead & corkie (used to show that leader&bait sink below bobber) won't slide on frozen line.

16. Andy52

Andy52 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Winfield, Mo.
    I only use spinning reels and have Power Pro on all of them. When I first started using braided line I had the slippage problem that many have stated here and used electrical tape to solve it at first. The method I use now seems to work better for me, I use double back tape and cork gasket material. Cut a piece tape and apply it to the spool,cut the cork gasket to the same size, peel off the tape backing and stick the cork to it. This provides a little better cushion then straight electrical tape.

17. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Braid is all I use on my spinning reels, will not use anything else unless Bluegill fishing and I have braid on those rods/reels also

18. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    all i use is braid now

first i use mono that is the same breaking strength as the braid (20lb braid and 20lb mono) and a top shot of mono for abrasion resistance. most of the time i tie uni knots and here's the secret instead of a 6 turn uni make it a 9-12 turn and it won't slip.

for that reel the the braid is cutting into the line roller back the retaining screw off a little so the line roller can turn and/or add some penetrating oil to loosen it up some. hope that helps you out.

19. holliswood

holliswood Well-Known Member

State:
    King, NC
    I use braid on my spinning reels. It increased my casting distance.