Braided line leaders affecting catfish bite

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by cumberlandcat, Jan 30, 2007.

1. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat Active Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Does anyone have anything against using braided line for leaders. I fish braided on all my rods and thats what I use for my leaders also. I was wondering if it will effect my bite much.

2. kylekutta

kylekutta New Member

State:
    NC
    Braided line does not stretch not doing so can be bad.It is like hooking a chain between two trucks and hitting the gas with slack in it.It does not give at all.It can pull the hook from the cats mouth while setting the hook or fighting it when the cat surges.I have even pulled hooks striaght using braided.If you like braid for main line I would use mono for a leader and for a shock absorber.

3. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I don't like using braid for leaders because I feel if you are fishing around rocks and stumps the abrasive quality does not equal a good mono line.

4. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Chris,
    The short answer to your question is no, it won't affect your bite much but there is a bit more to it.
    Braid gets it's abrasion resistance from it's diameter not it's breaking strength so to get a leader with good abrasion resistance, say equal to 40lb mono, it would have to be at least as thick as 40lb mono. That would make your braid leader incredibly strong, much stronger than your main line.
    If you get snagged and have to pull for a break the leader will definitely not be the thing that breaks. That means your main line could break anywhere from the leader to the reel and you could possible lose a lot of line. Worse still, if you have a fish on and it snags you it is possible that the fish would be left trailing the leader and yards of line around with it...W

5. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Besides, braided costs more.

6. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Braided leaders are fine and are all I use.The comment about diameter and abrasion equality is dead on.I use the same pound test leader as line and whenever I have to break off which isn't often because I can straighten out hooks, the break always occurs at one of the 3 knots.Usually 1 of the two on the leader itself.If you need abrasion resistance and thats all go with mono which is thicker pound for pound.I use Kahle hooks and circles so I dont set the hook and have never pulled a hook out of a catfishes mouth simply because I was using braided line.In truth you can hold a hook in your hand and let some one try and set it with stretchy mono and as long as you hold the hook tight it can't be done from normal hook setting distances and angles.Kind of like a gators mouth ,you can hold it shut easily but you cant pry it open.I drift fish a lot and I like the braided leader becasue they dont absorb water which lowers the pound test of mono, which means they float up off the bottom behind the crappie floats much better.Give it a try and see what happens.:big_smile: :smile2: :roll_eyes:

7. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat Active Member

State:
    Tennessee
    thanks, Do you have the same opinion if I only use a 8 to 10inch leader I've found that if I have a long leader it tends to spin and twist more in the current.

8. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Well, I am a mono man I cant afford to use braided line.

9. Catfishhunter

Catfishhunter New Member

State:
    Lanesville, In.
    Chris, I use Power Pro and use a mono leader. Mono is better abrasion resistance than braid and as far as stretch? A 12" to 18" mono leader is not going to give you very much shock resistance. Also if you use a big of enough hook and get a good hook set, the hook is not going to pull out.I use 8/0 and 10/0 Gamakatsu octopus hooks and they will not straighten out.

10. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i am going to agree whole heartedly to this. one thing i might add though about using braids is that they helped me in deep water and on long casts. them not stretching was a huge help. on the other hand in shallower water or short casts i found myself pulling alot of hooks outta mouths.

in the last couple months i have been testing certian hooks and using them as suggested oin this site. THe Gama octipus hooks have the best hook up rates for me and fewest swallowed hooks. Even fewer than circles. I use 5/0 for most of my rr fishing. I still like tru turns on jugs though!

11. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    to be quite honest iv never even had a bite on braided line , 2 years ago my brother and i fished a tourny every other saturday three rods each on one of mine was strictly braided i never caught one fish on that rod it now has mono

12. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I won't use it for leader material.

There is virtually no stretch, and thats the last thing I want when I have a fish that weighs 10 more pounds than the line weight.

13. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    A good swivel will help with the spinning.Not much you can do about it though because we tend to use larger baits or chunks of bait which increases the spin.I find the theory of using mono because it stretches as a leader interesting.Does anyone know the stretch rate for the mono you are using?If you use a 2 ft leader lets say and the stretch factor is 20% you will get 4.8 inches of stretch IF the mono is fully wet but also you have reduced its lb test at the same time as it absorbs water.4.8 inches of "ShocK Absorbtion" sure isn't much considering the fish probably has that much in its mouth.Since I drift fish a lot I like the solid instant hook set braid gives.That stretch you so admire also acts like a rubber band when the fish takes the bait which actually diminishes the hook setting power of your rig.Please do as you wish and what you feel comfortable with but the "Shock Absorber" effect of Mono is one of those "facts" that has been passed around so much it has become a virtual truth.In reality the Shock absorber effect of you rod tip is a much bigger factor.:smile2:

14. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    I fish identical to Mr. Noles. 80 Power Pro, and Ande Monofilament as a leader. I'll use anywhere between 30 pound mono on up to 80 depending on conditions. I base my leader length on conditions, and how far off the bottom the fish are suspended, if they are. If your fishing fast water, a shorter leader would be beneficial to prevent line twist. Either way, if your fishing a carolina rig, a high quality barrell swivel is absolutely essential for a large number of reasons. I order mine from a company that specializes in Salt Water products.

15. spanishcatman

spanishcatman New Member

State:
    United Kingdom
    It's braided line all the way for me. I use a good quality swivel to attach the leader to the main line. Only time I switch to mono is when I'm facing a lot of rocks. It's fairly common for me to fish at ranges well over 150 yards and I find hooksets get unreliable at that range. Even when I use mono mainline, I use a braided leader - incidently it's a braided kevlar leader rather than spectra or dyneema.

16. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    "...In reality the Shock absorber effect of you rod tip is a much bigger factor..."

Very true. That is where most of the shock absorbtion comes from. I really don't have a fear of breaking off a catfish from line break during the fight. The biggest concern is landing it at the boat when it is on a short leash.

I don't know how much my line stretches. I do know it is a lot less than many lines I have used. There is a medium that works for me, and that means Ande line.

The flip side of stretch is fatigued line. Cheaper lines that stretch will pull flats spots in the line under extreme pressure. This creates a weak point in the line. While I would not normally have this occur when landing a fish, it can happen when you successfully pull and break off a snagged line.

You are right Jim, you have to use what works best for you and your angling style.

17. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    I use the same as Jimmy and Cuz, typically a 80lb flourocarbon leader such as Sufix with 9/0 Rosco swivel and 80-100lb Powerpro. I have had the leader to break once on a monster fish because the leader line was junk(berkley Vanish)

18. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    Aaaaaah...Breakly....uh I mean Berkly!!!! :lol:

19. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    A few hundred years ago when man was worried about the thickness of the sinew effecting the bite, or the possible effect flax string would have on fishing, they never anticipated the question about fishing with braided line as a leader or monofilament line. In 50 or a hundred years, I wonder what the great topic will be about. Seems like the catfish are still gonna bite.

20. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    Back in the olden days they didn't have mono.
    Really.
    When mono started becoming popular I wouldn't try it. I used the neighbors fish pole once and that damned mono streached. How do you fish with something like that?
    Well sooner or later they stopped making braided line. I was told by my neighbor who sold fishing tackle that the machines that braided the line were old and worn out so I'd better start liking mono.
    Now it seems that braided line may be coming back.Dunno if I'm gonna like it or not.
    What you do is start using your rod more and play the fish more.
    good luck
    just