Braided Line Help

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by Kyle Hawkins, Apr 24, 2009.

1. Kyle Hawkins

Kyle Hawkins New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Well I’m going to buy some braided line for my new setup I am making. But still being noobish I need some help with a few questions.

• I am going to be buying the Sufix Performance braid, I hear only great things about it, anyone hear anything bad?
    • My new rig will be a very dedicated slip sinker rig. Will the slip sinker cause any wear on a braided line?
    • Also I have seen items like these http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_4582_151005009_151000000_151005000_151-5-9 , I was think about using these to attach sinkers easily depending on what size I needed. Would this reduce wear from a slip sinker?
    • And lastly, my rod has “hardened chrome guides” is what BPS says, they are very heavy duty eyes that have no inserts, can these easily handle braid? (they look like they can but I am curious about if they will be “dug into” over the long run)
    I would like answers to all these questions please, but again any help at all is well… help.

Thank You,
    Kyle Hawkins

2. Kyle Hawkins

Kyle Hawkins New Member

State:
    Ohio

3. centexcop

centexcop Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    I haven't used the suffix braid, and only have braid on two of my rods. I've only used the power pro braid. As far as wear on the line, anything that puts resistance on the line and runs back and forth is going to cause some wear. I don't think the guides would be a problem.

Now in reference to the sinker slide setup that your looking at at bass pro shops. While that product looks good, I think there's another product that will be easier for you to use. I bought some from bass pro shops that look very similar to this, but they have a clip on it to change out weights. Team Catfish also sells the Sinker Slides. Ive been looking at the ones from Team Catfish and will probably include them with my next order. Whatever type of sinker slide you use will reduce line wear because instead of having the small wire clip running on the line you'll have that tube which is a broader area and it's going to disperse the rub on the line.

4. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    kyle you'll be fine i have been using suffix for 4 years now. just remember to use some mono line for backing to eliminate slippage.

as far as the sinker slides i use 75lb test or heavier swivels with a duolock snap and i suggest using a mono shock leader if youre'going to use those plastic sinker slides. depending on what size sinker you use repeated casting can eventually "saw" through the slide thats why i use swivels.

and yes your guides will be fine. harden chrome is tougher than the metal the swivels i use are made of.

5. Kyle Hawkins

Kyle Hawkins New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Mark,

you said you have been using sufix braid, is it as abrasion resistant as mono? thats all im really worried about. the braid is going to be expensive (but i have the $10 mail in rebate) and really i dont want to waste my money when i can have some very tough mono, so is this sufix braid that good? I dont want to worry if the sinker is causing wear on the line, i want it to be able to stay strong.

I want the strength of the braid, but the abrasion resistance of mono, is the sufix the answer?

6. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    kyle my answer is yes and no yes its the most abrasion resistant braid i know of but its no where near as abrasion restant as say trilene xt. if you want the best of both worlds do like i do use a 30ft shock leader of mono thats most likely the line thats going to get rubbed against something so that should give you what you need. hope this helps you out.

7. Kyle Hawkins

Kyle Hawkins New Member

State:
    Ohio
    ok i think im going to go with the sufix. and a leader, thank you