Braided line for slabs

Discussion in 'Crappie Fishing' started by cumberlandcat, Mar 14, 2009.

1. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat Active Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I went out a few times last week and after losing 10 jigs and rigs. I changed a few of my rods over to 20lb stealth which has a dia. of 6lb test. Do you think this is going to cut down on my sucess. I am just trying to find a way where I can bend that hook straight and bend it back with out having to re-tie my rigs and floats all day.

Thanks

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Chris,I dont see why it wouldnt work.I never thought crappie were prone to be line shy anyway. I use 12 lb mono wnen I fish for them. Plenty strong to straighten out the gold hooks on jigs,The jigs with bronze hooks usually get broke off anyway.

3. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    I use 20# power pro and dont have a problem :wink:

4. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    It will not I slayed them day after day using braided line it works, I did drop down a little bit but just a little. I was catching over a hundred a day usng it.

5. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    have you fished that creek i told you about lately? i was up there yesterday and there were a lot of fish in the timber on my side imaging .. i would say its the crappie in there because there were big schools

6. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    Adam I havent tried it yet but very soon.

7. cumberlandcat

State:
    Tennessee
    Thanks for the good reports on it I am going to hit the water in the morning and I am hopin they will be biting, the water is about 55 so I think they should be starting to get better everyday

8. baptistpreach

baptistpreach New Member

State:
    Oklahoma!
    From what I've heard (and am planning on doing) you can go with 10lb test (2lb diameter) and still have good distance and straighten hooks when necessary.

9. gonefishing

gonefishing New Member

State:
    Near Monroe LA
    May i ask are you drifting of trolling?
    I ues one jig on a rod and two rods at
    a time and dont have much hang ups.

I would rather gave a jig than pull a top up.
    But thats just me.

10. cumberlandcat

State:
    Tennessee
    I am doing both but the braided line seems to be the thing to have on all my rods, haven't messed up many beds and even the ones I have jerked little I continue to catch fish outs them.

11. ronlyn239

ronlyn239 New Member

State:
    Bartlesvil
    20 lb Power Pro is my line of choice for crappie. Doesn't seem to affect them, as far as being line shy. Makes it a lot easier to pull the jig loose.

12. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Same here. I agree:wink:

13. SHOWME

SHOWME Well-Known Member

State:
    Nixa, Mo
    I use 8# line, lets you pull a jig loose 85% of the time and still you can use a 1/16 jig with that line and around here that's one of the best sizes for crappie

14. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    Not only does it make pulling jigs loose easy. I think it makes detecting bites easier too.