Braided line for flathead catfish

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Catmaster, Feb 28, 2006.

1. Catmaster

Catmaster New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    Has anyone tried braided line (dotted dracon 30lbs.) for flats on their baitcaster and what do you think of it?

2. FlatGetter

FlatGetter New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I like braided line I used spiderwire, now im switching to powerpro. 30 is to light mabe if you can let the fish run, 50 is about the least you can get away with, if your fishing around cover.

3. SangamonCatKiller

SangamonCatKiller New Member

State:
    central illinois
    He's right, nothing but 60+ braid for me !

4. shorebound1

shorebound1 New Member

State:
    Cynthiana, Kentucky
    Do you all use mono backing to keep from slipping on the spool?

5. SangamonCatKiller

SangamonCatKiller New Member

State:
    central illinois
    I definitely do. Don't want to have my spool spinning around while I am trying to fight a biggun'

6. beaneye46

beaneye46 New Member

State:
    indiana
    what do you mean about mono backing

7. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    On a hook-set with a tighter drag, braided line, rather than coming off the reel and pulling the drag tends to bury itself in the spool. That buried line will not show itself until the next cast or two. Once a fish is caught, the buried line is hidden down in the spool.
    When a cast is made and the line leaving the spool reaches that buried spot, the mother of all backlashes usually occurs which allows the angler to sit down, pick line and mumble about braided line for a while.
    Many really bad backlashes with thin braided line almost require re-spooling with new line.

8. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    i think it depends whether or not your fishing a lake or river. My 50lb Fireline did great in the ocean with no snags. But when i got back and fished the river the constant movements against the rocks made it weak and i lost a ton of fish. :cry-big: So this year i changed to 40 pound Power Pro

9. alh942

alh942 New Member

State:
    Sour Lake, Texas
    I like 80# Spiderwire, seems like the larger the diameter of this line the easier it is to untangle the back lashed, also I dont want to loose anything I set the hook on.

10. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Perhaps this is a good spot to clear up something that has been appearing is several of these braided line posts recently.DACRON braided line is NOT the same as the modern braids made of Spectra,Dyneema,or the extrudes like Fireline.Dacron has been around forever and was commonly used before monofilament and is still in use today.Cabelas still has it in its catalog.Dacron does not have the characteristics of the modern braided line,such as no stretch,thin diameter etc.It was the line of choice for baitcasters before mono.Just wanted to make sure folks weren't getting confused and buying dacron thinking they were getting the same thing as Power Pro.:)

11. flatheadfisher

flatheadfisher New Member

State:
    NC
    I use 130lb test spiderwire big water braid. It works great. I haven't lost a float or a sinker since I started using it. No problems with casting or backlash. Line capacity is a problem but I don't cast very far anyway. It is great for float rigs that are 20 or more yards out due to the better hooksets.