Braided line for blacklights?

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by Moonlightn, Jan 6, 2008.

1. Moonlightn

Moonlightn New Member

State:
    California
    I have always preferred using braided line. But I also like to use a blacklight for night fishing. So I have been using mono due to the fact that I have not found a good braid that glows with a blacklight. (then again I have not been keeping up with what is available for some time now.) Does anyone know of a good braid that is visible with a blacklight? I would like to try the suffix braid in neon. But I would like to know if it would glow (or not) before buying it.
    Thanks,
    Ron
    Here is a link to the neon suffix braid.....
    http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/s...r=80755&hvarTarget=search&cmCat=SearchResults

2. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I don't think your going to find one. Light rays react different when it hits thread then it does plastic.

3. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Stren makes one and I saw another brand just this weekend on TV. It may have been the Suffix. The Stren is called Stren Microfuse. I have tried to order some a couple of times but the dealer I was dealing with was having trouble getting me the large bulk rolls. I am going to order the Stren direct from Stren. They only offer it up to 30lb test and a 1100 yard spool is $129.99.:crazy::smile2:
    I think we will start seeing other companies just on board with florescent super lines. At least I hope so.:big_smile:

I hope this helps.
    David

4. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    So I got to thinking why don't they make a white line. White shirts show up good in bars under black light. Anyways Sufix makes a red line that they say shows up under black light. Just can't remember how well red shirts show up in the bars. Maybe I need to go investigate.

5. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Josh,
    the stren Microfuse is white. You can find it on Stren's website under new products / super line/ freshwater/ Mircofuse.

6. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Looks like Cabelas also offer a Fluorescent yellow line called rip cord Si. I was just on Cabelas looking for some seat bases and did a quick search for Fluorescent super line. They offer it in larger test and it is currently on sale. I think i also read somewhere the Power Pro makes one. I need to do a Google search.:smile2:
    Berkly also makes one. Flame Green FireLine

7. Moonlightn

Moonlightn New Member

State:
    California
    Thanks for the input fellas!!
    I am liking the reviews of the sufix braid. I guess the easiest way to go about it would be to take my light down to the bait shop. I have been getting broke off a lot w/this big game. So I must change something soon.

8. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Be sure to post back and let us know what you go with and how you like it with the blacklight. I am going to give the Stren Microfuse a try before long. I just spooled my reels last fall, the line is still good for a few more trips and I don't want to just waste it.:big_smile: I will need some before spring and I am going to try the fluorescent super lines next time.

Thanks
    David

9. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    I am wandering what ya think about a fluorescent marker and adding some marking to the super lines? any one tried this? Think I may try this this year to an outfit spooled with some spider wire braid just to see how well it last or if it does. I know it works well on the rod tip down a foot or so, makes it glow very well under black light, the marker I have been using was in the craft section at the store, couple bucks, but has worked and lasted very well on different items in the boat at night. (like the pliers, just marked a line down them and under the light you can't miss where they were laid down)
    Randy

10. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Randy,
    You might be onto something with that idea. I wonder how well it would hold up in the water. :0a24::0a31:
    I would be curious to know how it works out if you give it a try.
    I wonder if anyone makes any type of spray on line conditioner (like reel magic) that would have fluorescent properties?:big_smile:

Thanks
    David

11. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    That might be to easy David, but that sure would work. I don't know about the lasting time, but later on I plan on finding out, I don't think it will bother anything with the line as I also use it on soft plastics, (twister type tails) for walleye fishing.
    Randy

12. Moonlightn

Moonlightn New Member

State:
    California
    Update!!!!
    I ordered some and it has just arrived. I immediately tested it with the light and it glows very well. I can't wait to test it out on the water.

13. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Thanks for the info. Was it the Suffix braid you ordered?

Thanks
    David

14. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    David, don't overlook the obvious solution here. :tounge_out:

You will need to purchase a new reel to try that line on so you don't waste the other line. And of course you still can't test it without a new rod to put the reel on.

Now get back to Cabelas.:smile2: We're expecting a report on your findings.:wink:

15. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Awhile back, Power Pro introduced "white" as a new color in their braided line. I don't remember if it supposed to show up good under a light though.

16. jdwizard

jdwizard New Member

State:
    Independence, Missouri
    I have been using dacron white 130# snaggin line, it works fine and can handle alot of abuse.Cats don't care what color the line is as long as you have a bait that they can't resist...........cabelas sells the snaggin line that I use.

17. Midwest Drifter

Midwest Drifter New Member

State:
    Kansas
    New style rod holder & black light fixture to go with the rod reel & line?

18. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    LOL:smile2: Those are all on the short list after I get this boat done.:smile2: Boat toys seem to be eating all the extra cash flow up right now. I just don't understand why, with the cheap prices we pay for new boat toys.:eek:oooh::roll_eyes::crazy::smile2:
    Besides, I need some rigs for the rivers. I would hate to use my "tiny" lake outfits on the big rivers.:smile2::eek:oooh:

Thanks
    David

19. Moonlightn

Moonlightn New Member

State:
    California
    It's the Sufix in the neon fire color. After looking on the package it states that it's good for blacklight fishing. I ordered the 50/12 but it might be a little stiff for the setup I spooled it on.

20. Marshall

Marshall New Member

State:
    Junction City,
    Gonna bring this one back to life.... Is there a good braid for use with a black light out there?