Braided line for bass?

Discussion in 'Bass Fishing' started by LEROYDOZOIS, Aug 25, 2008.

1. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    SEEING HOW LIKE 95% OF THE SPIDERWIRE YOU SEE IS FOR BASS FISHING....... WHAT COLOR BRAID DO YOU USE FOR BASS FISHING??????

HAS ANYONE THOUGHT ABOUT MABY THE LINE WOULD SCARE THE FISH??????

IM CURIOUS WHAT SOME WILL SAY??????

ALSO!!!! YOU COULD USE A LONG LEADER FOR BASSING WITH BRAID :wink:

I HAVE MIXED EMOTIONS WITH USING BRAID :crazy:

2. Wvawitrado

Wvawitrado New Member

State:
    California, Fresno
    Yes bass anglers do use braid and they do not use leaders all the time if any the size is still the same diameter as mono as for the color I would say any transparent or green looking would be ideal also knots like the rapala knot will compensate for the lack of stretch and pliability making your lure look just as lifelike as you would with mono.....

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Some bass fisherman choose not to use leaders. The last two or three feet of braid line can be marked with a colored marker to help camouflaged the line. I prefer a short leader when Carolina fishing. I feel braid is necessary when frog fishing heavy vegetation.

4. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Very interesting, I don't ever bass fish, but I had never really given any thought to different approaches to line/camoflauge

5. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    If you flip or pitch for Bass, you can't beat it. And also like Mickey said, when topwater fishing in a weeded areas - "Braid is the way to go". :0a23:
    :wink:

:0a26:

6. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    I use it for frog fishing and when I attempt to flip the grass mats in the coastal rivers and creeks here in NC. It simply can't be beat for the frog fishing though, no stretch and high lb test means less lost/missed fish.

7. urrdone

urrdone New Member

State:
    wisconsin
    I do alot of bass fishing and on my cast rod i use the green 30# power pro and on my spinning rig i use fireline crystal. the river i fish if full of rocks so snags are plenty and the fireline rules!! 8# with 3# dia. ive hooked into a few 20+ pound carp and havent snapped yet. i swear by braid. mono has its place but its not for bass thats for sure.:cool2:

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Braid is great where you need strength, low diameter, and sensitivity, but since graphite rods are too 'quick' for really good crankbait fishing, I'd think you'd run into the same trouble with braid. If I still bass fished, I'd go with mono for crankbaits.

9. Andrew Y'Barbo

Andrew Y'Barbo New Member

State:
    Texas
    Braid is good for think cover gass,timber ,ect. I do not recomend spiderwire I use and love 65lb powerpro. Spiderwire is good at the begining ,but when it losses it coating it gets mushyand week. I like Power pro ,P-Line braid,and Suffix braid. My two cents.

10. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Leroy,I use mono for ALL of my fishing,Its worked this long,I dont see any reason to change,I love Berkly XT or XL on my bass rigs.

11. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I use to bass fish ALOT and tryed braid. Not long, it cuts down into wood when you flip over it and wasn't for me. I prefer P-Line myself.

12. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Ive used braided line for everything for the last 4 years. My thing is that if I used 10 pound mono I use 10 pound braid for the same reel. I gain line capacty for 1. Second 10 pound braid is a lot stronger than 10# mono by almost 50% from my experience. If ya dont believe this wrap some around your hand and try to break it. After ya quit bleeding buy some. LOL

13. drifter000

drifter000 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i fish a lot of ponds and lakes with lots of snags. i have used braid for about 3 years and i swear by it. i use green spider wire. although, i do agrea with the post earlier, spiderwire goes limp after the coating wears off. i have heard it cuts into your rod guides too, but have not seen that happen to me yet. good luck!!

14. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    P-Line is some amazing stuff isn't it!! It seems to be about twice as strong as other mono of the same diameter, especially if you get the green stuff. It's just really, really good line. I used to use it when flipping docks and worm fishing back home and I use it where I'm at now for fishing topwater(other than the frog), spinnerbaits, and worms. I like a little bit more limp line/smaller diameter when cranking or using jerkbaits.

15. The Penn Slammer

The Penn Slammer New Member

State:
    Princeton, West

16. BACKWOODSBOY350

BACKWOODSBOY350 New Member

State:
    COLORADO
    FIRELINE SMOKE IS GREAT 30LB TEST

17. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    on all my bass rods i use 30# power pro braid, great for gettin into weeds and trees, also nice if ya get somethin with some teeth like a musky or walleye or pike, infact when pike fishin i don't use any steel leader and never had a problem gettin bitten off as long as ya check your line every so often for nicks

18. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    I bass fish a lot and use both mono and braid.

For braid I prefer Power Pro green. For mono P Line is hard to beat.

If you have not tried it, you need to. It's great stuff!

19. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    You got that right!!

20. John Jennings

John Jennings New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I swear by Berkley Fire Line, I have been using it for close to 8 years now and will not go back to mono. Spider Wire has less memory than mono but more than fire line, so when stretched it coils less. braided line sinks slower and gives certain baits a different look and feel. You will have to experiment a little but I think it's worth your while. Braid is stronger than mono even when frayed. You get more line at a stronger pound test with the same diameter as mon. 30lb test has same diameter or smaller 10lb test, you can put the same length of line on a reel but boost your ability to land large fish! Which ever you try, spider wire, fire line, tourney tough which ever I think you will be pleasantly surprised.