Braided Line and Spincast reels?

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by SeedTick, Apr 11, 2006.

1. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Hey Ya'll,
    Has anybody ever put braided line on spincast reels? I need to put new line on my wifes reel and I would like to fill it with Power Pro if it would work. I'm trying to convince her to move up to a spinning reel but she says she likes the one she has now. Maybe someday. Anyway, Let me know if it will work or not.
    Thanks

ST

2. tdpasser

tdpasser New Member

State:
    Gilbert AZ
    It works better on levelwinds but it not to to bad. Your casting ablility goes down and you need to remember to try not to reel in loose line because it will make it wavey and can cause a problem on your next cast. When snagged don't allow the line to stress on the reel because it will dig in on the spool. Use a stick to wrap around then pull on the snag.

3. edwin5050

edwin5050 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    I use spider wire braided on everything. They make a teflon coated braid.

4. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I put 17 lb.Remington braid on two Zebco 33,s for my son and grandson,last spring.They seem to like it.I found that I could not fill the reels as full of braid as I could mono.It just would not cast worth a hoot with the spool filled to normal capacity.I had to back off to between 1/4 and 3/8 inch of filling the spool.As you can get a lot more braid on due to the diameter,it works out OK.Keep a eye out for increased wear where ever your line rubs your rod and reel.CAUTION!! Braid will have cut your fingers to the bone,before you even know that you are cut.Also.A trigger spin reel is a good bridge between spin cast and spinning reels.It makes it a lot easier to convert.You can even trip it with the trigger and then hold your line with your finger while casting,just like a spinning reel.Luck,peewee

5. APD1146

APD1146 New Member

State:
    New York
    I USE IT A LOT IN BOTH FRESH AND SALT WATER WITH GOOD RESULTS. IT HAS THE STRENGTH OF 30 LB LINE WHILE ONLY HAVING THE DIAM. OF LET'S SAY 15 LB LINE. IT WILL TELL YOU RIGHT ON THE SPOOL. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO PULL THIS LINE WITH YOUR BARE HANDS, WHETHER HUNG UP OR TIGHTENING KNOTS. IT WILL CUT YOU REEL, REEL, BAD.
    PUN INTENDED!
    Tight lines to you all.

6. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    My neighbor put Spiderwire on his spincast Crappie reel and it cut grooves in it...not sure what spectra lines like Power Pro would be like.

7. APD1146

APD1146 New Member

State:
    New York
    Power Pro is the line I was referring to eariler.

8. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I've had terrible luck, personally, using Powerpro and Spiderwire in spincasters. The line kinks up after a little bit of use, doesn't cast, and the line gets chewed up.

But TDpasser and Peewee may be on to something. Don't reel it in loose - I found this to be true with mono - use your hand to carefully apply a little resistance. This helps the line wind on correctly, and you will have much better luck with your next cast. And don't fill the spool up quite as much.

I'm thinking that most of my problems came from reeling in the Powerpro loosely onto the spool too many times.

9. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    These reels are mainly used for spinner bait (Roster tail,Mepps,etc.) fishing in black water creeks for pan fish and Pickerel.Most cast are short,with very few moderate distance casts.peewee-williams