Braided knots

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by crawford1, Jul 12, 2008.

1. crawford1

crawford1 Member

State:
    west virginia
    I just started useing braied line useing a palomar knot. i get a run & go to set the hook & it's just like some one cut the line, no tennsion are anything that would feel like it breaks just loose line, I'm uesing spider wire & power pro both. when I tie the knot & pull on it it seems tight.can anyone give some much needed advice thanks.:angry:

2. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    Use a double polamar knot and leave a tag of about 1/2 inch, make sure you wet the line before cinching it down. You can also drop a dot of superglue on the knot after tightening. There have been some threads in the last couple of days that addressed the problem look for these and check the members library. There is quite a bit of information on the braids and the best knots to use with them. Hope this helps.

3. saguy

saguy New Member

State:
    south carolina
    I use braided line all the time, I love it, I always use a clinch knot...there has been many times i have been snagged and have ended up bending the hook before my line snaps...

Attached Files:

4. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I use this too, but add a simple knot to the tag end in case of slippage.

5. crawford1

crawford1 Member

State:
    west virginia
    Thanks for the help

6. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    Learned in the military, the knot is not finished until you put a half hitch on the end, regardless of the type of knot.:wink: Good call.

7. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Hm....are you using the braid for a leader also ? mono is a must. Is the line breaking at the swivel or hook ? Also what size braid are you using ?

Light Lb test braid is junk, IMO, for cats. With such bad abrasion resistance that little thin braid will break constantly. Anything over #50 is best.

Let us know and we will get it straightened out for ya.

-Jim-

8. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    When I use the palomar knot with braid , I always leave about 3/4 of an inch of tag end, in case it wants to slip. Never had a problem. :big_smile:

9. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have had good luck with braid line by doubling the clinch not .

10. crawford1

crawford1 Member

State:
    west virginia
    I'm useing 60# it's breaking at the swivel also useing about 18inch mono leader

11. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    The only knot that retains 100% of it s origianl line strength with Braid is the Double unit knot. I also have used a double palomar knot and never had any problem with either. If you read on most braid boxes it says not to use a cinch knot cause the knot will cut itself. If you go to animated knots .com it should elp you.