Braided fishing line

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by shingman6, Dec 16, 2007.

1. shingman6

shingman6 New Member

State:
    South Carolini
    I was just thinking if you are using braided line on your reel and when you get hung up don't you lose alot of line because it,s braided and strong enough not to break like mono?

2. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    dont know bout everone else but i use a lighter size mono so if i get hung up i break the mono and not the braid.

3. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Went through the braided phase a while back. Didn't do a thing for me. LOL! I'm sticken with my Cajun Red. Been ridein it for a bit now. The above posts are hittin the nail on the head with the leader bein mono.

4. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Actually braid is easier to break then mono! I can not tell you how many snags I have had while fishing where I have had to walk from the back end of the boat to the front. Then walk back to the back of the boat reeling in all of the stretched line only to repeat. Now with braid you just pull tell it breaks. Braid is also weaker in the line abrasion category so if there are rocks around its like hot butter to it. Think I would rather break 80 pound braid then 20 pound mono. The reason for the mono leader it gives you a higher hook up %.

5. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Experiment with different knots some of the knots you are used to with mono won't hold up well with braid. ( some will slip or break off) This is one thing I am learning about braid. Although I never actually used it I just bought a spool that was on sale.

6. BLKCLOUD

BLKCLOUD Member

State:
    Pulaski Tn
    Call me crazy but I disagree with about everything you have posted here..I'm guessing you were not using spiderwire 10-50 ?? I dont ever recall shattering a rod with mono, tying my boat off with mono, using the same mono for 4-5 years before replacing it.. or having a fish break my spiderwire..:wink:

7. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Is spiderwire some magical fishing line that can not be broke when snagged? I've used spiderwire before and think it's junk. It also breaks just as easy as any other 50# braid. Nope never shattered a rod either. Then again I dont use my fishing rod like so many do to break my line. I always use the reel. If you really are shattering rods like that you might want to hang up the graphite rods and get a Eglass rod. :big_smile: As for the line lasting 4-5 years I fish to much to go that long without respooling. Plus if it needs it or not I'm respooling no matter what.

8. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I think braid has a place, but not on my drifting or anchoring rods for catfish. I like mono for it forgiveness, a.k.a. stretch, and also for it abrasion tolerance.

I use braid on casting rods for stripers, and I use it on bait rods for perch and bream. The sensitivity comes in handy for picking up strikes. You can cast it a LONG way! I really do like braid for those purposes.

When I get my new Abu Garcia 9000 in I plan to load it up with some 80 pound Power Pro for shark fishing, but that is mainly because of the amount of line you can get in the reel.

9. BLKCLOUD

BLKCLOUD Member

State:
    Pulaski Tn
    Here is what Whistler thinks of braided line..

I'm on year 5 with one reel and it's not even close to weakening. When it does, I'll just turn it around and it's new again. To each his own, but don't discount the braids til you try them yourself. Good stuff in my opinion.

10. SKYNYRD

SKYNYRD New Member

State:
    KANSAS
    Well i'm with crazy on spiderwire I bought 1000 yards once of 100 pound test spiderwire and wrap it around a stick and broke it like 20 pound mono didn't even put it on reel to junky for me gave it away hope the guy isn't mad at me now I use 130 pound tuf line braid for my main line and 50 pound mono on leader and 30 pound on sinker it not your main line that get hangs up it your sinker or hook and most of the time its your sinker I don't brake my main line i brake the leader or the sinker line

11. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    :0a27:
    I would do the same thing if I use Braid when catfishing, just for that reason.:wink:
    :0a23:

12. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    I'm gettting a new Abu... 7001 left hand, and a new "moyer" eglass... and going to spool it for "flats" with "powerPro" 65lb (should be here today.... well maybe tomorrow).. got the line and the itch to put it on...

Bayrunner Ray

13. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I love braid. It seems easier to break because it doesn't stretch, so you're not pulling all the stretch out to get to the breaking point. But that's one if it's drawbacks, it doesn't take sudden shocks well like mono. I adjust my drag different for braid. It's probably not as abrasion resistant as mono, but I've used braid so long now the stretch in mono drives me absolutely nuts. There's also no memory, I can fit more on my reels, and tying heavy-test braid is easy. And it lasts a looooooooooong time. I'd put my PowerPro with good knots up against mono any day. It has it's cons like anything else, but I'm willing to live with them because for me the advantages outweigh the disadvantages tremendously. Good Luck!

Branden

14. rwilley3

rwilley3 New Member

State:
    Brighton, Tenne
    Crazy I totally disagree as well about the braid. I use 65# Powerpro for catfishing and 50# Spiderwire on my bass rigs. If you tie a good knot(I didn't at first and pulled a bunch loose) you just can't hardly break the stuff. You probably already know this but when braid pulls through it does leave a little curl like mono so you usually can't tell if it broke or not. For catfishing I use 50# Big Game mono for my hook leaders and 30# El Cheapo mono on my weights. I almost always come back with swivel at least. I have had mine on some catfish reels for 4 years and bass reels have line older than that(I have turned it around and fished with unused end after a couple of years. It still will lay out flat as the day it was out on and if it has lost any strength you can't tell it. As for rocks I fish mostly along riprap banks here on the MS and it doesn't get cut very often either.

15. shkt

shkt New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I will need to get some.

16. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    I have tried alot of lines from stren, berkley big game (whick I realy like), bass pro line ( good stuff), cajun line ( seemed a little week), eagle line( ok line) and my favorite atleast at the moment spider line. I'm a little different as what I use for a leader some use smaller mono line. As for me my main line is 50lb spider line followed by 195 lb test trotline, the reason for the trotline leader is abrasion resistance. Braid doesn't stand up well and neither does mono, but trot line does. As for braid being easy to break I must disagree, I have had to wrap my line around a stick or a small piece of pvc(which I do carry with me this sole reason) to pull out of a snag, yes I said pull out of a snag not break, I have partialy straightened hooks because of this and pulled in some impressive tree limbs, may not work for others but works for me, I mean smaller diameter for more lb test than mono and no where near the stretch, come on now. But yes I still do use mono line on my smaller poles, but for catting I try and stick with braid. Also in four years of using braid and trotline leader I have only boken off 1 time, and all I lost then was a 3 0z weight.:wink:

17. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    Well, I have to put in my 2 cents here. I actually spent all this past year experimenting with both braid and mono under different conditions. Here is what I have found that works for me. My method does not involve a leader(too many knots)
    1. Rocky bottom conditions dictate Mono. I found that when fishing rocky bottoms on the Ohio River, Vicious 30# stood up and had fewer break-offs than either 50# Spider Wire, 65# Power Pro or 20# Big Game. I am assuming the break-offs were due to the rocks and abrassion. I have to cut and re-tie the braids a lot more often that monos.
    2. Clean bottoms and cover (trees) didn't seems to matter either way.
    3. Fishing circle hooks seems to be more effective with mono, especially if you still have a tendancy to set the hook. I believe that a lot of times you can actually pull the hook out of the fishes mouth using braid if you set the hook too hard. No stretch means all the force of the hook set goes instantly to the point where the hook is touching the fish.
    4. I have on occasion changed my line after just one trip (both braid and mono). It all dpends on the conditions and how much action I had.
    5. I fish a lot of tournaments, which bring in a new aspect. I always start a tournament with new line. No need to take chances.
    6. There is no magical line that is the best. Each one is more suitable for different suituations. If you need a lot of line, use the braid because it's smaller, if you need durability, use a braid.

And I'll finish with a little story. I was bank fishing the Ohio River one night and this huge log comes floating down the river. I was hoping it would miss my line, but I had no such luck. I was using 50# Spiderwire Stealth with a circle hook. Well, I got a serious hook-up and proceeded to bring in the log(about 12' long and about 18" across). After I landed it, I decided to see if the 30# Vicious mono on my other rod could handle the same thing. So I tied on and shoved the log back out into the current. It also performed the task at hand.
    Was also a good work out for my rods. LOL

18. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    i have used 50# sw stealth and IMO it is junk i had it break off 3 time on tha cast,note i checked my rod guids and rod and my reel,there was nothing that could have cut the line,i was using 2oz of lead and giving it a relativly easy cast.i will stick to my bbg 17#,i have broke big high qaulity snap swivles with this line and have easly brought in fish over 30 pounds on it and i know it will handle much more.just my 2cents

19. Equinox

Equinox New Member

State:
    Sweden
    I use Berkley Whiplash crystal, it´s thin and very strong.

20. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I use the #50 power pro. Anything smaller will break...or has for me. I won't ever tie the braid to a hook again either. I lost my Pb 2 times before I figured out that the hook's eye was cutting my line. If you use a swivel and a braid leader while your hook is snagged, the line usually will break at the swivel ( knot = weak point ).

Atm I'm using #50 main with #50 mono leader, circle hooks, on spinning reels off the shore. If I snag it breaks at the mono or the braid, at the swivel. Mono has it ups but I think that's only if your in a boat/baitcaster, especially drifting, that stretch works great for the situation and circles hooks match great. The other situation is if your throwing some heavy lead. If that's the case, even off shore, you can cast pretty far and the line is unlikely to ever birds nest off ( spinning reel that is )..the weight always has plenty of tension, reducing the chances greatly.

I lack experience using braid on boats so my opinion's don't reflect on that situation.

So I say, off shore, in the rocks, on spinning gear, 7' MH rod, longest mono leader you can use, snelled knots, and dam good rod holder.... My #50 braid holds up great, lasts forever, does not tangle up, and casts far enough to get where I'm going.

I really comes down to your situation.

-Jim-