Braided fishing line?

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by dcconrad, Jul 4, 2007.

1. dcconrad

dcconrad New Member

State:
    ohio fairfield county
    i am getting ready to make the jump to braided. Is there any brand that is better versus the price? Is there any to just plain avoid? and color choice is red a bad choice? I have messed with braided a little but, do need advice.(I always need advice lol) thank you guys!!! happy fourth!!

2. CATFISH1998

CATFISH1998 New Member

State:
    Westerville,Ohio
    I had good luck with the spider wire . I was useing 20 lbs test an had no proplem the only reason i am not useing it now is the price.

3. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    well power pro line is pretty good if ya aind fishin in alot of rocky or snaggy areas

4. Kinch's_cats

Kinch's_cats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I used to use spiderwire when it first came out a long time ago. It was very strong and I didn't have any trouble pulling in the fish. The only problem with it though is when you get snagged up you're done. There is really no way of breaking your line off and you are forced to cut it losing a lot of line in the process. Just something to think about.

5. dylan543

dylan543 New Member

State:
    ohio
    yea spider line is kinda a pain in the but to cut too.U mainly need 20pound and u can reall in a 40 pounder my choice is stren fireline or vanish

6. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    I use Power Pro:worship: never had any problems with it. Power Pro is expensive,but I always buy mines on EBAY for about half the price of its retail store price.:confident::confident::confident: Ihave used the rest .To me Power Pro is best!!!

7. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    I like the power-pro line but as with all braids when fishing around rocks you need to use mono leaders they are more abrasion resistant and as far as breaking the braid all you have to do is wrap it around a round piece of wood and give a quick jerk, you can also break mono the same way but only after you get the stretch out of it depending on how much line you have out, it may take walking the length or your boat to do it depending on how long your boat is.

8. 2sb

2sb New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I am a die hard spider wire guy. I have had a hard time finding the original braid in stores so I bought a spool of the stealth spider wire braid. It seems to be just as strong and much cheaper ($11.00 vs $20.00). The good thing about the original braid was that it never seemed to need replaced. I am not sure about the stealth. I use 50 lb test so if I get snagged I can usually just pull until my hook straightens out.

9. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Just curious, but just why are you switching from mono to braided?

10. catchinghogs

catchinghogs Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Have heard good and bad about braid.I like Fireline it is like a braid but they say it is not I use it on two of my catfish rods and I love this stuff the only downfall is it is pretty pricey.

11. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i just spooled 2 of my 6000's with 65lb. power pro. i have always been a berkley man.. still am, but for lake fishing i wanted some added distance with the small diameter, and low to no stretch. i like it soo far. when fishing it in the river, i use a mod. 3-way rig with two barrel swivels. i use 8in. or so of the 40lb. big game to the hook. 20lb. on the sinker. this still allows for alot of sensitivety, low stretch, but ablitiy to break off without having to cut yrds. of line or busting eyes out of the rod. the only thing i can say i have to adjust how i fish the braid compared to the mono. hooksets don't have to be as strong due to the no stretch. i actually have been letting the rod load up more like how you would fishing circle hooks. the only downfall i can think of is i like fishing rock, and no braid i know of is good in rock. ...rollo

12. dcconrad

dcconrad New Member

State:
    ohio fairfield county
    thanks everyone for the help. i have alot to learn and i will add this to my chapter.

13. BGRUMBLES

BGRUMBLES New Member

State:
    ohio

this is what i use...no complaints had very good luck with this line!

14. catfishing is fun

catfishing is fun New Member

State:
    Missouri/Michigan
    I use 50lb spiderwire stealth, it is the first braid i have used so no comparisons here, but it is quite good, it will cast a long ways, and is really strong, but when swiching to braid i think you should know (it sure helped me) you are suposed to leave enough mono on your spool to cover it lightly, this is because the braid wont grab the metel spool (or plastic in my case), and to keep it from carving nice little braid hyroglifics in your spool

15. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    I just stripped all the braid off my reels and went back to Ande Premium mono.....I tried it and I didn't like it....However, I'm keeping what's left of the spool for fishing conditions like swift water and riprap.....Dwight

16. baptistpreach

baptistpreach New Member

State:
    Oklahoma!
    I have actually gone and respooled all of my reels to braided, and I definitely prefer Power Pro. I have used several different kinds, and the power pro hasn't faded and still remains strong. I sometimes fish in very clear water and at those times I will tie on a leader of 20lb mono, this allows me the ease of casting with braid (no line memory so line doesn't jump off the spool!), the strength of braid, and when needed, the benefits of mono. I also do what was mentioned, in the case where I am stuck and cannot straighten the hook, I just wrap it around my pliers and pull!

It is very expensive, but I also never respool and haven't lost a fish! I watched on E-bay and grabbed a 500 yard spool for a great price and now I'm looking to do it one more time w/ 65 lb test for my new Abu 7000 and 6000! Best luck and great fishing!

17. dex

dex New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    For years I have only used Berkley Big Game this year I experimented with braid. Power Pro and Berkley Gorilla braid. Power Pro is alot better than the gorilla braid but when used around rocks and stumps mono I found is still the way to go.

18. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    i really dont like braided line. Whatever size i use it seems to become tangled on the spool and if a big fish is pulling hard the line forces its way under the line on the spool. it may just be something im doing, but i still stick to mono

19. crmule

crmule New Member

State:
    Orange City Florida
    I am using both spider wire and pro and that is the last I will buy. I am going back to andes white mono line my catch has droped about a third ,Iwill use florocarb leader like I did before braid.
    I learned my lession the hard way

20. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    Preacher,
    ]
    I just got back in from Oklahoma....Made a round to Durant, Shawnee, Okie City, and Lawton and went back to Okie City to load....

There's no doubt that a good quality braid is the "best" catfishin line going....I loved it except for one thing...When you reeled it in, it sounded like a grist mill at full speed....Made me drawup inside thinkin what it was doing to my guides...Just a personal thing, but enough to make me take it all off....I'm finicky about my equipment like that....Hope the best for you and yours....Dwight