Braided Dacron

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by CountryHart, Jan 27, 2009.

1. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I found this line on Ebay and wondering if anybody has experience with it?
    Anglers Connection, IGFA Green Spot. It's a braided dacron line by Woodstock. Made in the USA, 800 yards for$41.75, that includes shipping. Think it said it was .022 thickness. Any input about this product is appreciated.jf

2. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Good points:
    Softer than other lines, some people think the fish don't feel it when they bite.
    Cheap
    Good abrasion resistance

Bad points:
    Thicker than mono or superbraids for a given test.
    Absorbs some water and gets heavy
    Casts poorly.

I've experimented with at as a leader and it worked pretty well for that. I never tried it for a main line.

3. jms43

jms43 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hmmm...I saw that stuff too and didn't buy it. I found some Berkley big game braid on the cheap. 8.95 for 300 yds. Let us know what you think if you buy it.

4. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    If it absorbs water and ya can't cast it, thats all i need to know. I'll buy power pro or stick with mono. Thanks fellows

5. Relocated-Yankee

Relocated-Yankee New Member

State:
    Goldsboro
    It's used by folks deep-sea fishing ina couple hunderd feet of water!

6. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    I use it to bowfish that is what my bow reel recomends tuff stuff for sure .

7. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Thats saltwater rope. Good for about 3 pounds of weight rock codding. :crazy:

8. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    Gary's points are good ones, but I don't agree about it not being castable. It was casted for decades before mono was develeoped. And it used to be very popular with muskie fisherman who wanted less stretch than mono, before super lines were introduced. Honestly, with the heavier weights and stuff that we use, almost any line is castable, within reason.

As for diameters, they are usually a bit thick than mono, lb test to lb test, but I have seen a small diameter dacron, I can't remember who makes it. It interested me because it was 50lb line with 25lb mono diameter.

9. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    I still use dacron for the leader going down to the hook, either 50 or 65 lb, my memory aint good this morning. I use 30 lb mono for the leader going to the sinker and 80 Power Pro braid for the main line.
    I like using dacron near the hook because as was stated, it is much softer and is less likely to spook the fish, I believe.

10. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I agree, what I meant with my comment is that it costs you a little bit of casting distance. My buddy who could normally out cast me had it on a reel for a few months, and it dropped him down to casting about the same distance as I could. He was still getting it out there, but he lost maybe 10% of his distance when casting an 8oz weight.

11. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    This past week I was the sports show here in Council Bluffs Iowa and went to a talk on catfishing given ba a man named Jerry walker i believe his name was and he said that Dacron was all he used for his leaders and braid for his main line.He must know something on the subject cause i think it was 3 years ago he was down there fishing a tourniment on Santee and him and his partner from Omaha Nebraska took First Place winning $25.000.00 thousand Dollars and a New Boat,and said He has placed in the top 5 the past 2 years.So anyway this old boy will be trying Dacron for my leaders this year.One Question for you Kutter,What kind of knot do you tie when using that Dacron,Polimer,Snell,or a plane old Sheepshank Granny Knot ??? Just Kidding on the Sheepshank Grannie Knot :wink: J.D.

12. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Actually, John, that stuff can be spliced, if you care to learn how. I never did, but it sure makes some sexy loops.

13. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    I BOUGHT A ROLL OF IT MY SELF THE OHTER DAY FROM A SHOP DOWN BY MY HOUSE.IT IS ALOT THICKER THEN MONO OR SUPER BRAID, BUT I THOUGHT I WOULD TRY IT FOR DRIFTING.I BOUGHT A 100FT 65# ROLL FOR $2.00 SO IF IT DOES NOT WORK THEN I'M NOT OUT ALOT OF MONEY.IF IT DOES WORK THEN I WILL LET YA KNOW.

14. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Actually, John, I use a Surgeon's Loop on both ends of a piece about 15 inches to start with. Then I stick one loop through the eye of my swivel, then pull the line through that loop, on the other side of the eye. I then do something similar on the hooks eye, except I have to use the hook to pull it back through the loop after poking through the eye. Make sure the loop that is to go through the hook's eye, is big enough to pull hook through.
    This way, it is easy to remove the hook for transport. I do the same for the sinker set up and remove them for transport also.

15. Cattn-Jeep

Cattn-Jeep New Member

State:
    NC
    I just switched 2 of my baitcasters over to dacron. I was getting tired of the mono lines memory and the messes it made. The best surprise so far was the feel. I've never felt a fishing line give so much feedback about what was going on underwater. The dacron is really limp and has almost no memory, seriously. The dacron also doesn't strech (much) which should be nice for sticking hooks. For what I do with my baitcasters, dacron is #1. Should fish "seeing" the line ever be a problem, I will simply put a mono leader on it.