braide line size

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by catoon, Dec 18, 2008.

1. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    what size of line do yall use .and why

2. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i use 80# power pro, mainly cause i'm fishin the river with alot of logs and snags and low hanging trees so i need to horse the fish in a little faster to keep them from gettin hung up, i also use a 40# mono leader cause the mono holds up better in the rocks

3. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I use #65 Power Pro and a #40 mono leader. I only bank fish the Mississippi and need something strong enough to get the fish away from snags and out of the current. I also need the small diameter for casting distance.

4. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    100# Power Pro braid with a 50# fluorocarbon leader. Needed for fishin' heavy structure in the river.
    Bill in SC

5. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Same as above, sometimes you just have to be able to horse a 30+ lb. fish from cover. I started with 65lb. power pro and now use 100lb.. I use either 50lb. or 80lb. clear premium salt water ande for leaders for abrasion resistance. If your not fishing the trash and stumps then you can get away with the 20 lb. mono a lot of people use on this site. They wouldn't get many fish in if they fished where I fish most days.

6. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    I used 80# Calcutta (braid) for years when I fished Flatheads in snag infested waters (IN, SC)). I mostly fish open (deep) water now and have switched back to 40# mono.

I see no reason to fish any less than that.

7. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    100 # power-pro/ 80# cajun red leader, cause I want to see what I catch !!!