Braid

Discussion in 'OHIO LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Catmaster9786, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Catmaster9786

Catmaster9786 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Are there any disadvantages to using braided line for any type of catfishing???

2. doughboy

doughboy New Member

State:
    newcomerstown,ohio
    I use dacron green spot for my flathead fishing because it sinks and it doesnt stretch. Then I use mono for everything else

3. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    As long as you use a heavy abraision resistant mono or fluro leader there are no disadvantages to using braid for any type of catfishing. I use both braid and mono and see no real difference in the performance of either.

4. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Braid is fine in my opinion, however, I use it for the castability low stretch reasons when lake fishing fairly open water! I don't like it around rocks, or other areas where it is ragged! I have not seen a braid that holds up for even a second around rock ledges etc.! For this, I run Berkely Big Game 30 and 40 pound mono on the river systems! This is a tough line, that seems to deal with sharpness better than a braid. And let me also say, alittle stretch isn't always bad! I would rather have a stout mono like the 40 big game with probing heavy logjams than the braid also.... rollo

5. ohio hilljack

ohio hilljack New Member

State:
    ohio
    I MYSELF HAVE VERY LITTLE EXPERIENCE WITH BRAID HAVING ALWAYS USED MONO WHICH I AM VERY COMFORTABLE WITH. MY OLDEST BOY USES BRAIDED AND I THINK HIS BIGGEST COMPLAINT WITH IT IS THAT IT SEEMS TO TANGLE MUCH WORSE THAN MONO,I REALLY COULD SAY WETHER THIS IS BECAUSE OF THE LINE OR HANDLING ISSURES. I WILL SAY THAT HIS POLES NEVER CURL AND DRAW BACK TO YOU LIKE MONO THOUGH A LITTLE HEAVIER SINKER WILL FIX THAT PROBLEM.

6. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I agree with Rollo. The only problems I have ever had are around rocks. Also, if you are the type that like to rip the lips of a fish when you set the hook, I have seen braid snap on the hookset.