braid vs. mono

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by catkiller1234, Aug 13, 2008.

1. catkiller1234

catkiller1234 New Member

State:
    North carolina
    what do yall think is the best all around catfishing line

2. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i tried braid. caused me troubles. and those birdnests cost alot to cut off lol. i went back to mono. 20-30# berkly big game. i have to use a stick to wrap it around to break it. good stuff. think ill go fishing tonight.:wink:

3. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    For me it's 50/50. Braid when boat fishing, mono when bank fishing. :wink:

4. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    There is no best all around line some will answer with their "personal prefrence"
    but I would say each line is better than the other in different applications:wink:

5. raybait1

raybait1 New Member

State:
    SE Texas
    I'm using both but leaning more toward braid (30#sw) on my abus. I like that it casts smoother and has virtually no stretch.

On the other hand its hard to break when you get snagged, and it cost $12 every time you birdnest it.

6. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 Well-Known Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    If you are getting birdsnests, you are tring to cast it to far. I use braid (#100) with a #80 mono shock leader about 15ft. long. I have the same braid on that I had lastyear and I am going to use it again next year. When I used to live in
    Fl. I had the same Power Pro on my Grouper and Snapper rods for about 3 years. When I get hung up I break my mono 80% of the time and when I break off my braid I only lose a little bit, cause I usually cast close to shore. I spend more money in hooks than I do in fishing line:eek:oooh:.

7. kat king

kat king New Member

State:
    hutchinson,ks
    imo i gotta say mono is better for me that is ..

8. switchback

switchback New Member

State:
    Illinois
    i can go either way i use both and have decent results with braid but it does cost to much if you have to break off

9. switchback

switchback New Member

State:
    Illinois
    plus if your baitcaster dont have wholes in the spool or grooves in the spool it slides and digs down into itself and that is a really big problem

10. river_runner_85

river_runner_85 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Missouri
    i lean more toward the braid and nathan is right it will dig into its self on the spool if you are not careful and create a huge problem.

11. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I like mono myself,you get the right kind and it holds very well.im not spending a small fortune on fishing line im just going to get snagged up and broke off with.When i can do that with mono and not lose the house because of it.

12. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    In the last 20 or 30 years....I have tried just about every type of line on the market. I've tried braids, didn't like it. I've tried mono up to 80 lbs. Didn't like it either. So I fish with 20 and 30 lb mono for cats up to the 100lb range. You need good equipment and a super good drag system. But it can be done!!!!!:eek:oooh:

13. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    thats another problem i had.:wink:

14. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    same here john the 1 in my avatar was caught on 20 lb mono but is was shallow water around 8 foot deep with no brush.

i run 30 to 40 mono anymore

15. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    AWESOME...............I fish the same kind of stuff. So I dont go with the heavier lines.

16. kat king

kat king New Member

State:
    hutchinson,ks
    thats a hog in your avatar how much did he way? i also fish with mono 40lb catline its never lost me a fish yet the water i fish is prob 2-6 feet deep and the last two trips my bro and i pulled a 15lb and a 18lb flathead out of it we hit it every saturday and never go home without a catch..:smile2:..

17. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    I only use MAXIMA Ultra Green, I don't think you could ever find a better line:wink:, 40lb for flats 15lb for channels

18. lilgriz

lilgriz New Member

State:
    Aurora, KY
    Every one of my rods is spooled with 20lb mono. I tried braid once, didn't like it, but I do see where some situations may call for braid, I just don't fish those situations. 20lb mono has never let me down!

19. BMills13

BMills13 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    This time of year I'm fishing mostly for flats and alot at night. Fish strictly with mono (40 lb berk big game, hi-vis) and black lights. Put a great deal of stock in line visibility and bite detection. Not havin to make long distance casts or cut much current so mono performs great.

20. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville