Braid vs Mono

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by kat buster, Jan 5, 2007.

1. kat buster

kat buster New Member

State:
    Michigan
    ok I know the diffrences between the two. But what one would be better for catfishing on the river. I will be using a abu garcia c3 reel.:confused2:

2. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Either does the job. Mono has more stretch, braid is thinner per lb of weight test and has less drag. Mono is easier to cast if not used to casting a baitcasting reel. Braid can give you more line capacity. At some point, I may put braid on my Abu's and Penn's, but I'm pretty satisfied with Big Game mono.

3. bigredsbbq

bigredsbbq New Member

State:
    Illinois
    for me mono is much easier to tie

4. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    True, but the uni-knot and Palomor work well with braid. In fact, I use the uni with my heavier mono lines now.

5. big joe w

big joe w New Member

State:
    west virginia
    I have heard braded was better but im afraid if it begins to splint it will un ravel.

6. big joe w

big joe w New Member

State:
    west virginia
    I meant will it split and un ravel.

7. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    It doesn't do that, at least not in my experience. But, mono seems more abrasion resistant.

8. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    I Prefer Monofilament.

9. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    DJ, Braid and mono both have there place and most who use one or the other, it's a personal preference. To give you a good answer we would need to know how, what, where, and the conditions you fish the most. Will braid catch you more fish? Probably not, maybe in a special situation. Weigh the advantages and disadvantages of both and use the one that has the most advantages in your favor.

10. CJSCASTER

CJSCASTER Guest

I've used both and prefer mono. Big Game always seems to be good quality line.

Paul

11. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I would say the braid is better if you do not have to cast very far. I put power pro on both of my C3's and had a tough time casting 6 oz and bait on a 12' rod. The line tends to bury in the spool and caused problems.
    Mono is much easier for me to cast a long distance.

12. martinman

martinman New Member

State:
    Clinton, Iowa
    Just as Buck mentioned, braided and mono have their place.

As for catfishing, I am a major fan of braided line. However, some of the streams that I fish are extremely clear and the current is almost non-existant. Using braided line in these waters warrants little catches. Below is what I have done to semi-remedy that.

-Clear water with no current- I still use braided line but have about a four foot leader with 40lb Suffix Mono. This line has been really good in not getting kinks in it and messing things up. It was recommended to me by several other BOC members.

Clear water with current or muddy water- I use braided line (65lb test) on the main spool and then use 50lb test braided leader. I changed this setup earlier this year when I lost a really big flathead and the leader broke off at the hook (the weakest part if tied correctly). The braided line will not break as easy as mono in this situation. I use the two different test sizes because if you get snagged, the line will break off at the leader because that is where the lighter test is but 50lb test is still stong enough for the big kitties.

I also learned the hard way not to use braided line on my ulta light rod for catching baitfish. They will see it and not take the bait...in other words, stick with the mono for baitfish.

Hope this helps,

Ryan

13. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I've got a 6500, and with 30# mono on it, I can cast off about 3/4 of the line. Not only does that leave me with very little line if a big cat makes a run in the current, but spooling off that much line cuts way down on the casting distance. I realize that some folks don't need to make long casts, and don't have to worry about fighting fish in a strong current, but I was much happier when I removed the mono and put on PowerPro braided line. Incidentally, whenever I use expensive braided line, I use a mono leader of lighter test so it will break, keeping me from losing any braided line; and it doesn't hurt that it's less visible. I also found that the drag system on the 6500 is pretty wimpy; they do make an aftermarket drag upgrade that's supposed to solve that problem.

14. Catfish Killer

Catfish Killer New Member

State:
    Pa.
    I use to use only Big game for cats for a long time. I switched to Spider Wire and was very happy. I did have problems at times with it burying in the spool. I hate to ever question peoples answer's but Its a fact that you can cast braided lines much further than mono. I fish one of the same spots for years and when I used 40 lbs mono I could not cast withen 20' to a snag that was there. After I switched to 80Lb braid I can cast to it with the same reel and over it if I would want to. I now use 80lbs power pro I will never switch back to mono for cat fishing again. Mono has its place for other types of fishing but braid will work for every cat fishing presentation that I know of. Braided lines have came a long way over the last 5 years as far as strength abrasion and spool burying goes. Unless you fishing for a whiskerless fish mono can no longer compete if you tie the right knots. I also find good knot tying easier with braided but that's just me as far as that goes.

15. EricM

EricM Active Member

State:
    Harrison TN
    Name:
    Eric Maurer
    You've gotten a lot of good advice, but I know it's confusing. No line will be best for all situations, for example I usually fish open water for big blues with light line- as small as 4 lb - and with these tests you need a premiun monofilament so that it can stretch and take some of the shock without snapping. Spool up a couple of rods with different lines for the different situations and you'll do well. Good fishing!

16. redwiskers

redwiskers New Member

State:
    iowa
    I find that Powerpro 65# line casts pretty well and gives me plenty of power when fighting a biggun. This works well for me but I think your best bet is to experiment with both and decide what works for you.