Braid vs. mono. Let's talk line!

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by saros2500, Aug 13, 2009.

1. saros2500

saros2500 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Hey guys. Lookin for everybody's input here so please let us know what you prefer and why. The reason I'm bringing this up is because last night i broke off on a good flatty, probably over 25 and it made me second guess my line choice. He hit a 9 inch rock bass and took my down into some rocks. I could feel my 40 lb braid rubbing against some rocks and all of a sudden, dink!, line goes slack. I love braid for its castability, (I use power pro) and strength to diameter ratio, but i can't stand its poor abrasion resistance. I'm thinking of going back to mono, maybe Big Game, for all my rigs. I think the stretch of mono might be better for letting a circle hook set itself when a cat is making a run as well. What do you guys think???

2. offshore_angler

offshore_angler New Member

State:
    SW TENNESSEE
    power pro is a good line to use...try upgrading your line to 65 to 80 lbs..i fish 80 to 100lbs and always land big ones.what kinda of rig or you using?

3. LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN

LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN New Member

State:
    sc
    If youre fishing from a boat you could put a long mono topshot on your
    reel and maybe avoid the problem you had.I use mono only Ande tournament 20lb on my big rod with a 50lb leader,(Cajun Red lightning)
    and havent had a breakoff or problem yet.This set-up held up to a 79lb blue this week.

4. brownie525

brownie525 New Member

State:
    Nj
    the hell with braid:crazy: go with the berkely big game much more abrasion resitant :wink: thats my opinion :big_smile:

5. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Hi Louis,
    Sounds like you've already figured out the problem...
    Depending of the reels you use,, 30-50# mono will get a lot of Catfishing done!!

If you need more casting distance than mono may provide, a lot of folks use braid, then use a mono leader on the terminal end.
    Greg

6. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Just use a mono leader of your flavor. Still retain the near zero stretch factor of braid and sensitivity, and get the abrasion resistance of mono. I fish some snaggy water in South Georgia, and this combo works out great.

Makes it a "little" easier to break off also when you get hung up, which I do,"alot".. :smile2:

7. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    mono for me all the way. i get too many drops from the braid while bottom fishing. seams like they feel the clicker more and spook.

8. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Tim, I dont get that problem down here. They smack the bait and just slowly walk away line.

Daytime flathead catfishing is different,"and on par for me with what you said above", but I will use a heavy action rod with a fast action tip to give them some flexibility to suck in the bait.

I was on Big Game for a long time, and still like it when using Mono.

9. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    i mostly fish in the daytime,so maybe thats why. good insight, i guess i never though about it like that!

10. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    I use 30lb mono on all my rigs. It's got good abrasion resistance and it is really, really cost effective compared to braid. I can't imagine trying to save the money to put braid on 10+reels:crazy:

11. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Wes, I can't imagine NOT having braid on my ten reels. Initial cost is more but it out lives mono 20 to 1. Coupla hundred bucks and you'd be hooked up with braid on ten reels. It all boils down on each individuals fishin' conditions and needs. No line will hold up in sharp rocks like the original poster had issues with, but if he had had braid, he might have been able to lean on him more to keep him from the rocks.

Bill in SC

12. saros2500

saros2500 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I mostly fish bottom from a boat in a large river with a carolina rig (3 ounce disc on a sinker slide, then a long mono leader snelled to an 8/0 gamma circle). I do use a long mono leader, but this particular fish took a screaming run and took a lot of my main line (braid) down with him. Thanks for all the responses so far fellas

13. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    That's it right there. I know a couple hundred bucks will probably get me spooled up but that is simply out of the question for me to spend on fishing line at one time....just couldn't do it. I can go fishing 20+ times for that money (that's gas and everything). But like you said it just boils down to what you like and what works best for you. Now you will never, ever, ever see me without braid on my frog fishing rod....did I mention ever:smile2:

14. bone3160

bone3160 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I use power pro main line with a mono leader.

15. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I fish rocky areas also with lots of snags, trees, etc, I only use Power Pro with Mono leaders: 50lb PP on my lightest M action rods, 65lb PP on my MH setups, and 80lb PP on my Heavy set ups all with 60lb mono leaders, maybe you need to toughen up your line :wink:

16. saros2500

saros2500 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I plan on it. Deciding between heavy mono or maybe 65 lb. power pro

17. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Well i recommend braid better for catfish.. mono for bass for better line clipping ability.:wink:

18. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    well I love braid and refuse to switch to mono but if you're fishing rocks it's not the best line because like you said it's poor abrasion resistance. One thing that I've done to help with with that problem is buy stiffer rods so I can get em up, out and away from the rocks and just fight em in the current and up your line to 65lb so it has a few more strands to cut or you could try it just running a mono leader, that has helped a few people I know of but either way there's no gaurantee you're going to get the fish in, hints the name fishing not catching:smile2: you'll get em though just keep gettin bait out there

19. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Braid sucks.

20. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I fish around lots of rocks from the bank and I use mono on all my reels. Some reels have 20 lb mono and some have 40 lb mono. Seems to be working well now!:wink: