BRAID QUESTION

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by catman-j, Dec 12, 2009.

1. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    If you use and love braided line what do you do if you get snagged? How do you break it off if it is so strong?

2. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I use a leather glove, the same glove I use to mouth big blues/flats with. Just wrap it around your hand once/twice and yank it....really easy.

I wouldn't use the reel to do it.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2009

3. bigredcatfish

bigredcatfish New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Using braided line is a must!! Breaking it, once you get the hang of it, isn't that tough. I keep a leather glove in the boat for the tough breaks.

4. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    A a strong stick if you want...i just wrap the line around my hoodie sleve a couple times and it works great!!!

5. keepitsimple

keepitsimple New Member

State:
    virginia
    There is NO stretch to braid, Wrap it around a stick or twist it around your rod base. It will pop, DO NOT wrap it around your hand and try, It will cut thru your hand.

6. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    braid breaks easier than mono because of the low amount of stretch. you have to be careful with the drag settings when using braid for this reason too. it's easier for a BIG fish to break off or rip the hook out because there is no shock absorbency with the braid. i have a wooden fillet knife handle that i wrap a couple of times and break the braid.

7. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Yes, use a leather glove, or a one inch or so wooden dowel to wrap the line around. I WAS wrapping the line several times around my reel and breaking off, but I damaged one of my Abu Garcia 6500 that way.

Bill in SC

8. Slatebar

Slatebar New Member

State:
    ohio
    Oops, looks like I had better change tatics. Thanks for the heads up on the reel damage.

9. CatHunter24

CatHunter24 New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio
    Using a dow or a stick is probably the best bet. Interestingly if you are stationary and not drifting you can work your line with braid and often free it. Because braid is so much more sensitive and is low stretch you can slacken your line and then rear back on your fishing rod which you snap the braid like a banjo. When i bank fished a buddy taught me this method and it worked much of the time in free snags and regaining my terminal tackle. Basically the vibrations going down the line with the timed jerk can cause the hook or sinker to free itself from the snag. Give it a shot before you have to go through breaking and losing tackle. :wink:

10. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    You need a dowel dipped or wrapped in rubber. It you just have a naked dowel, the line will just spin instead of catching and breaking off, like it spins if you don't use backing on your reel spool.

Bill in SC

11. Dutch

Dutch New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I use an 8" piece of broom stick wrapped in black cloth electrical tape

12. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Hammer handles from the flea market wrapped with a little tape in the middle.I used to use whatever sticks were handy,but found that if the stick wasn,t really smooth,it would break at the stick instead of down by the hook.

13. catfishtonyd

catfishtonyd New Member

State:
    georgia
    I just wrap the line a couple times around the butt end of my rod handle and give it a quick jerk. Works every time.

14. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    careful what you wrap braid around to break it. it will dig into anything soft. i had a pair of needle nose pliers with rubber insulation on the handles. i used the handles to wrap the braid around and cut the insulation in two.

15. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I find a stick on the bank to wrap the line around and walk back till it breaks or pulls free. I would recommend using a stick, glove or whatever, as soon as you feel the snag because if you try to get the snag free by leaning back on the rod, you will start to bury the braid into the spool and when this happens, casting problems will not be far behind. You want to keep as much pressure off the spool as possible in my opinion. Good luck.

16. beespringer

beespringer New Member

State:
    sunfish, k
    I used too wrap the braid around my reel several times and break it that way...not anymore I messed a good reel up that way.:sad2:

17. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I'm up to THREE reels that have sustained damage like that! :embarassed: Hey, I appreciate the cloth electrical tape idea. I may try that. Right now I am making a device out of a hard plastic broom handle. I am going to use contact cement to glue a piece of inner tube to the hard, plastic, about one inch diameter stick. Might be a niche if someone could come up with a small, inexpensive to make device specifically designed for breaking off braided line. Probably be a market for it.

BB in SC

18. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Real Men use their teeth!!:roll_eyes: Just kidding!! When using braid and getting snagged, wrapping the line around a stick works best for me. Either that or just cutting it with a knife. Don't use the hands or you'll get some nasty cuts or burns from it!! Braid works great for it's applications, but when I'm snagged, I definently prefer having mono on the reel at the time!!

19. larry again

larry again Active Member

State:
    missouri
    I use a 20oz bank sinker wrap it 4 or 5 times then put your a$$ off .:big_smile: