braid problem

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by katman#1, Mar 1, 2009.

1. katman#1

katman#1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I just respooled all my 6500s with 65lbs power pro braid i had been using 30lbs mono on them i drift most of the time but i seem to be mising alot of fish with the braid should i go back to mono or is there any thing i can do with the braid to stop missing so many fish:eek:oooh:

2. santeefishhunter

santeefishhunter New Member

State:
    north caro
    Make sure your drags are set and are you sure it's just not the way the fish are biting that are causing the misses. I guide on the upper lake of Santee and also drift. Those dang cats bite different everyday and there are days I can't get them hooked myself. I really like the braided lines and would never go back to mono. Give it a chance and I think you will find it's the way the fish were biting and not the braid. Good Luck ! P.S. I've had the tips of rods in the water and I'm thinking no way they are not hooked and they just turn loose!

3. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Jason, what style hooks are you using? I use primarily circle hooks, with 50, 65, or 80# power pro, and allow the fish to hook themselves, but I have seen when using 'J' hooks, for instance, that if I set the hook too hard, it can actually tear out of the fish's mouth, due to the fact that braided line hardly stretches at all, I suppose. When I set the hook on a fish, I just use a short jerk of the wrist, then after I start reeling, I may set the hook a second time, but probably don't really need to do that. I also use a mono leader most of the time; partly for the extra stretch factor, and partly for abrasion resistance. :smile2:

4. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I 2nd what they are saying it has nothing to do with the braided line just a short bite.

5. katman#1

katman#1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Saturday was the first time i have tried it maybe just need to give it a chance the fish were not biting well i use 6/0 to 8/0 circle hooks i let the fish set their self

6. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I agree with what some of the other guys have said,give the braided line a chance and I think you'll like it better than mono. I use 65# Power Pro and have now for about the last 3 yrs and would never consider going back to mono. The braided line does not have the stretch in it that the mono line has, so remember that too.

7. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Jason, you may be seeing "nibbles" you never saw before with mono.

You can't judge a new technique on just one fishing trip. The only fair trial is over a period of time in many different conditions and times of year.

For me, I am not willing to try braid out for drifting yet. For anchoring I am almost convinced and have experiemented on several rods, but for drifting the problem with tangles outweighs the gains for me. Braid has some real negatives when it comes to getting tangled. For anchoring I like the response you get even on a slack line.

Each person has their own preference, and you have to decide what works for you.

8. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I love the "miracle" braid. I use Power Pro 100#. I find the tangles MUCH easier to deal with than with mono.

Bill in SC

9. Think I may try some thanks

10. Indigo Flats

Indigo Flats Member

State:
    Lancaster,

An old cat fisherman told me years ago to check the moon. When the shape of the moon will hold water the fish will hit hard and not let go.

Believe it or not I've found this to be true.

I didn't make this up I'm just reporting what I was told.

11. krowbar

krowbar New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I've been working for almost two months straight now with all these storms. I'm going to try Power Pro braided line tomorrow God willing at Santee. I like the idea of almost zero stretch. Don't like the tangling part though. We'll see. I'll report on whether I like it or not.

12. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    Interesting. What do you consider the advantages of using braided line when fishing for catfish?

13. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Ya know, I've heard of wind knots in braided line quite a few times, but I've been using braided for a number of years, Power Pro for at least 5 years, and don't recall ever having a wind knot. I have had an occasional backlash, but even those come out pretty easily, as long as you don't pull hard enough to sink the line into the spool. Just lucky, I guess, but I personally love the braided for the sensitivity and strength along with smaller diameter. The lack of stretch also makes it easier to break off if I get hung up too bad.
    I've never actually had to replace any of my braid yet, but I do swap it around on the spool every couple of years, and I inspect and remove any frayed line. Also inspect my guides occasionally, but have never had any problem at all with wear.
    Just my .02. Thanks for the time. :smile2:

14. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    lol:smile2: you are welcome, thanks for your .02

Any other reasons to switch to braided line. Do the positives of braid outweigh any negatives of braid it it has any?

15. krowbar

krowbar New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I've heard these pros and cons of braid. I've always used mono with great sucess at times but thought i might see what the braid is all about. I'm still going to bring some rods with mono and some with the braid and see for myself. Thats the plan anyways. God willing.

16. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    100# Power Pro braid RULES!!!! :wink:

Bill in SC

17. Pacman

Pacman New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I was really skeptical of braided line especially when I saw the price. I've seen no tangles or backlashes that didn't pick out easily. I'm sold on braid. I have created some monster backlashes with mono that only a pocket knife could solve. I think a lot of the "misses" are likely "hits" that you would barely notice with mono. The durability and sensitivity definitely make up for the price. I was even more skeptical of the circle hooks, but I'm satisfied that they work well if I'm patient and let them do their job. I've lost a lot of fish by grabbing at the first jiggle. Keep reading...most of the guys who are regularly putting them in the boat are using braid and circles.Weather's warming up and I'm looking forward to getting back on the river soon!

18. krowbar

krowbar New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Fished Moultrie Friday with some Power Pro Braid. I liked the sensitivity of the line. Saw bites I think I would normally miss with mono. I drift with 6 rods. I used 3 with mono and 3 with braid. Caught 6 on the braid and 2 on the mono. I like the braid but when the wind got up my leaders kept twisting up bad with the braid. I guess thats what Tommy is talking about Wind knots. Was very aggrevating. Not sure why it was doing that so bad. Anyone having this problem with the braid.

19. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Jason, a wind knot, as I understand it, is when the main line gets tied into a knot due to the wind blowing it around while slack, or something like that; not a great description.
    It sounds like you mean the leader was twisted around your main line. I have that happen sometimes; assume you're fishing the typical Santee drift setup with the sinker above a swivel. I've found that when I cast the line away from the boat, the sinker will sometimes be a couple of feet above the swivel when it hits the water, and if I'm not moving very fast, the leader can wrap around the main line on the way to the bottom due to the float holding the leader higher than the sinker and close to the main line as it sinks, or if the sinker just lays on bottom as you move away and let out line, it will also tangle sometimes, for the same reason.
    I try to tighten up on the line when it contacts the water, in order to let the sinker slide down to the swivel, then maintain a slight tension as the sinker settles to bottom, then slowly let line out as the boat drifts, in order to keep an angle the avoids letting the leader come into contact with the main line.
    I have seen this happen also to mono line, so it's not necessarily a fault of the braid, just physics. lol
    I got a couple of backlashes yesterday, casting into the wind, but they came out very easily.
    I hope this helps a little.

20. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    Wind knots most commonly occur with tapered leaders particularly the smaller diameter mono for those that take up the long rod. Seems the more limp the material the more susceptible it is to rolling over/around itself. Heavier diameter mono generally will not do that because is has memory and stiffness.