Braid or Mono?

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by roh1961, Nov 6, 2005.

1. roh1961

roh1961 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Is it written in stone about using mono for everyday catfishing or are there other reasons to avoid braid other than cost? I've heard that braid is pretty tough on rod guides. Are there any braid users out there that have tried the braid lines from Fins, namely Spectra Superline PRT Braid?

2. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    ROH I use Fins exclusively and have gone to their DEEP DROP for leaders>I use the IGFA rated line and have never had any problems.You must make sure with any braid that you have genuine ceramic guides by a good company but most of the wear problem has been eliminated in the new braids.I think FINS casts a little better than most of the braids and seems to be more uniform throughout.I have never had a wind knot problem and you can find a good discussion of braids overall in a previous thread from about 2-3 weeks ago.

3. roh1961

roh1961 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Jim, sorry about the extra post. I just thought I had looked but thanks for the info. The previous post was helpful too.

4. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    ive tried spider wire and power pro. i still use the spider wire on my 33's. its strong and thin and works well. on my abus i preffer mono. the braid is hard to get untangled in the event of a b-nest and i think the mono is smoother. power pro is one ive heard that can saw through cheep guides fast. alot of fella use it though. bearcat and whistler are two i can name.

5. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    For all you STREN guys they have a new mono out called DURA TUFF.It has a self lubrication built in that STREN says increases abrasion resistance 177%.That right 177%.I read about it in a Saltwater fishing magazine but it seems to me it would certainly have a catfishing application.Probably cast better also.You can go to their website and check it out.

6. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    sweet. that is what i use. stren high impact. ill check into this.