BRAID OR MONO??

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by Jeremy Leach, Jan 5, 2010.

MONO or BRAID LINE

1. MONO LINE

2. BRAIDED LINE

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Jeremy Leach

Jeremy Leach New Member

State:
    Madison In
    What does everyone perfer on their catfishing rig and why??

2. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I only bank fish the river for big blues or big anything. I use 12' rods and Abu bait casters. I use this equipment because I need maximum casting distance. So in my situation I use #65 Power Pro because I need a strong line with a small diameter which will allow for longer casts. Good luck.

3. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I like braid better because of it's zero stretch, and it untangles better than mono. Braid RULES!

Bill in SC

4. hct236

hct236 Well-Known Member

State:
    virginia
    I like braid because it casts much easier, for me anyway, and with very low stretch it makes for rock solid hook sets esp. when using circle hooks. I also like the thinner diam. I don't think the thin light line spooks the cats as much as the thicker mono, esp the ones that have been caught and released before!!! LOL

5. restorerancientiron

restorerancientiron New Member

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    I use braid as well with a mono leader.I simply like having 65 pound test on a reel that was designed for 20 all the while having the same amount of line on the spool as mono.Another reason is with mono you have line memory ,some brands are better than others but not a problem with braid.Another plus is thinner line equals less resistance in the water , you can use less weight and have a better feel of what is below the surface.Also with mono you have to respool your line much more often sometimes after the first trip , with braid it will last a whole season and then some.Some reels I have braid on has lasted over three years.As you can tell I like braid alot.

6. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    mono braid sucks

catfish kenny likes this.
  7. Dave53

Dave53 New Member

State:
    Lonedell M
    I like braid the best but I voted for mono...reason is..when I have used braid and after several fishing trips I found it would fray and would break easliy. I then learned to pull that line off and after a while, even using a mono leader, I would loose a lot of line. I guess too may rocks in the Missouri river. New line is great but mono seems to me have have the stability that I didn't have with braid line. All this could be that I'm too cheap to put new line on every year.

8. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    I've used both, and like features of each style of line.. But, the reels I go fishing with are spooled with 50# mono.
    Because,, Braid, if it gets even the slightest nick ,, will part, Break, quit. Not good enough performance for me.
    Mono will do the same after awhile, but, I believe it gives me a bit more fight time.
    Also, I inspect all line I use quite often for damage, before casting..

9. Graham

Graham New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I just switched to braid last year and I love the manageability of it when tying knots, and the awesome bite indication. I still use a mono leader with it, but that's just a throw back from my sea fishing days.

10. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Well, I like Mono because it is what I am used to. I am experimenting with braid on two of my rods this year and will give it a fair shake. The jury is still out for me so I am primarily sticking to mono

ccat likes this.
  11. katmax

katmax New Member

State:
    griffin ga
    i use suffixs seige 20# test its mono but has very little stretch and it cast a country mile...with spinning reel:Happy:but im like brother hilljack...ill be trying some braid this year.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2010
  12. seth3221

seth3221 New Member

State:
    NC
    65lb braid with a 50lb mono leader. Thats the way to go!

13. shadguts

shadguts New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I use braid on everything I own. Number one reason is the greater line capacity, it would take a huge reel to hold 700ft of mono. Two, smaller dia. and less drag in the rivers that I usually fish. Three, no stretch, which is important to me. For me it's not uncommon to fish 70ft + depths and have 130-500ft of line out and use 6-24oz of weight. The braid allows me to use smaller reels and if anyone doesn't know how much 500ft of mono strecthes they should try it, however a little stretch is good with me and I use mono leaders for that purpose. Fourth I have yet to have a fish break the braid. I really haven't had any abrasion problem either. Just from my experiences. The only things I don't like about the braid is the price and only a few knots that I know of that work well with braid. I have four reels that need new line now and it'll cost me about $150 to spool them. OUCH!

14. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I too use braid on everything and I guess I like braid for the same mixture of reasons everyone else gave. I just dont like mono after using braid. I like the fact I can get more line capacity, less diameter but higher strength. It cost more but I dont have to swap out line a few times a year like I did with mono if I fished alot. Smoother operation, my reels all cast alot further and its easier to untangle. Zero stretch and I've never had a fish snap my braid. I use a mono leader and I've had fish break that. I would really love to use a braid leader but I know that I would never be able to break off if I got hung up. I just weigh the pros and cons and cant figure out a good enough reason to switch back to mono other than cost. I laugh when people complain about the price of braid because of the price we pay for all the rods and reels, especially those of us who own Abu Garcia reels and those who own Gloomis and St Croix rods. $32 for 300yds of line is nothing although I do feel sick after paying but once I spool that pretty hi vis yellow or dead red I feel better. Moss Green isnt appealing to my eyes anymore but I mix my reels up with different colors because they are easier to untangle once a fish wraps himself in them...... thanks Bill

15. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    I like mono, i have tried braid, and didnt really care much for it.

16. pounders1

pounders1 New Member

State:
    Columbus, MS
    I switched to braid a few years ago and have seen great results. The difference for me comes from when i throw in structure to get the flatheads, they rub whatevever they can to get off and the line holds it own.. I was using power pro but have recently switched to vicous line 50-100lb.. When fishing for big game i will never go back to mono..

tstarkey73 likes this.
  17. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    I like Braid...Team Catfish Tug-O-War!!!!!!!!!!I used to use power pro but i like the Tug-O-War better..I use the 65lb. for flathead and i want to get 80lb. For snagging

18. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I voted braid.I like the extra casting distance and line capacity.The #1 reason for me though,is it,s sesitivity.I like being able to pick up the line in my fingers and be able to tell what,s going on at the other end.If it wasn,t so sensitive,I really doubt that I,d be willing to pay the price for it.

tstarkey73 likes this.
  19. greg

greg USCA - STAFF Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    GA/ Ia
    braid all the way from the hook to the reel

20. ks catman

ks catman New Member

State:
    kansas
    I chose mono becuase briad has and will hit a rock nick and break mono is in my opinion much more forgiving.