Braid or Mono for catfish

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by xnmcclurex, Feb 22, 2009.

1. xnmcclurex

xnmcclurex Active Member

State:
    Pittsburgh Pa
    i was wondering what Pa guys use? braid or mono and what brand?

2. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    I use spiderwire 65 with 40#mono shock leader about 4-5 feet long,but I'm a rookie never caught a flat so my opinion counts for squat,:smile2: You could use 80 or 100 braid or just 40 mono its just a preference thing again whatever suits you best

3. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Whether in Pa, L.A., or Fla, I recommend braid for catfishing, preferably, Power Pro!! Braid RULES!!

Bill in SC

4. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 Well-Known Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    I use a Braid (power pro) main line with a mono shock leader and mono leader to the hook

5. ste6168

ste6168 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Mono. 15lb Berkely Big Game (BBG) on a 7ft MH, 25lb BBG on a 7ft MH, 40lb BBG on an 8ft H and 9ft MH... I exclusively use spinning reels, but plan to add another rod to the arsenal. I want to get a baitcaster as a muskie rod that will double as a catfish stick. That rod I will more than likely use Suffix Performance Braid.

6. xnmcclurex

xnmcclurex Active Member

State:
    Pittsburgh Pa
    thanks for all the help guys

7. gdlocal10

gdlocal10 New Member

State:
    kansas
    I dont know about PA, but we ve tried many different types and found that for us its power pro, we use 50 or 80 lbs test in the red, I think its a ll personal preference we just kept trying them because everyone likes their brand

8. xnmcclurex

xnmcclurex Active Member

State:
    Pittsburgh Pa
    i was looking at power pro but didnt know how good it was. i dont if ill need 80lb but 40 or 50 sounds good.

9. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    couple things bout braid you should know.1 braid cuts real easy on rocks and like sewing thread near zebra mussels.2 if you use a lighter mono shock leader back off on the drag braid has no stretch and will pop mono just as easy as a sharp object.by the way i use braid and my perferance is power pro in 80 lb.test.

10. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Hi-Vis Green Ande mono 30 and 40lbs

Once that braid rubs against a rock, it's another fish story:embarassed:.

11. thunderchicken

thunderchicken New Member

State:
    Yuma Az
    Berkly big game 50# test, never a problem with it and is good in structure and rocks. Tight lines.

:cool2:

12. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    I use Berkley Big Game Solar Green in 30# and 40# on all my Flathead outfits. My question to braid users is if it cuts so easily when it rubs rocks then why use it??? The stuff is really expensive and there are rocks in most places Flatheads inhabit so I don't see why guys use it??? I'm not knocking the guys who use braid just trying to understand the benefit cause it seems to have a major drawback!

13. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    I use braid and just use a 5' length of 40#mono as a shock leader for abrasion resistance ,braid is strong and thin as 17 #mono ,I use spinning gear so it won't hold a great deal of 40-50#test mono thats why I use braid so I can squeeze more on my reel:wink:

14. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    I've only ever used Mono. Never fished with braid, might very well be the way to go. I just haven't got to that point to try it yet. I've always fished a lot of rocky bottoms and have guys tell me the rocky bottoms is hard on braid.

15. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 Well-Known Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    If you use a 10' shock leader of mono you won't get cut off by the rocks. After I beefed my takcle up to #100 PP and #80 leader, I haven't been broke off yet.

16. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    I was the same as you pip.....until last year:wink: i always used ande mono 30 or 40lb test ...my partner switched to braided...well after recieving a "few" lessons and pointers:eek:oooh: i switched.....no need messing around i went 80lb straight up..i think it is 17lb diameter maybe 20....anyway no stretch tough as nails & will stop a 40lber on a dime with a good reel....I started off with power-pro but was talked into trying rajun cajun 80lb red......just won a tournament using it and there was a 30lber stopped in his tracks:wink:

17. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
  18. andrew76

andrew76 New Member

State:
    southwest ohio
    Well iv always used mono but I think im going to try braided this yr.

19. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    Good article Marc I also use Power Pro and I very rarely ever loose fish with it, for anybody starting out using braid line remember to use the Palomar knot or your knot will slip on a 20# plus fish.

20. Power Pro fan here. Only use 30 lb. test with heavy flouro leader. Some times i switch to mono just to use something different. Sometimes i miss that strectchy line. Plus the old fingers can only take so much braid sometimes! lol