Braid or mono around rocks

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by fishinpolak, Jun 18, 2007.

1. fishinpolak

fishinpolak New Member

State:
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Hey guys i was wondering whats better for fishing around rocks because i am using 100p braided line and i had a flathead break off and i was fishing around rocks. I mosly fish rocky areas so this info woud be very helpful. Thanks.

Matt

2. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    mono without a dought.i use braid a lot but any time im around rock or new timber i use mono for the abbrazion factor.it withstands rough treatment better.

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Matt mono is correct. However you do not have to strip your reel. Try useing a longer and heavier mono leader first.This way you have the feel of the braid and the mono for resistance. :lol::big_smile:

4. BigCatDreaming

BigCatDreaming New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have to agree with mono, but if you already spooled your reel with some expensive braid than maybe you could just try a much larger mono leader instead of spending the money

5. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    As stated, MONO is your best option for know Rocky areas. Yet you want to have the strength/diameter of Braid to fish with. A 12 ft. length of 30lb. mono will provide the edge that is needed to or as you are using 100lb. braid a 200lb. length may provide you with the needed resistance to the rocks. While I fished in europe, I found that the Zebra Muschels played Ed Sizzorhands with my 50lb. Power Pro. I added a length of 100lb. Power Pro and the problems were practically eliminated. Try the mono leader and let us know if this improves your catch rate.

HOPPY4