Braid on spinning reel...what do you like??

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by kyelkhunter3006, Jun 24, 2009.

1. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    For the people who use braid on spinning gear.....

What do you use? How do you like it? What else (braid types) would you try? I'm thinking of going to braid or the other superlines on my spinning gear this year, for more line capacity.

2. JHalden

JHalden New Member

State:
    NorthCalifornia
    Suffix braid seems cool but still doesn't work as easy as mono, and it is a hassle to spool up in my opinion. I tried to get some on my baitrunner but to do it right you gotta reel it up under a ton of pressure like thru a phonebook one guy said. Its just way too much work for me to put up with. just my opinion. :wink:

3. buddyodie

buddyodie New Member

State:
    illinois
    Hey Chris, I use power pro on my bait casters and my spinning reels with no problems. In fact I think it works better than mono on a spinning outfit. I use spinning gear for walleye & stripers. It works great when you're trolling. I probably will never go back to mono.

4. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    After lots of trial and error I've now been using Power pro for a few years with excellent results. For me, I wouldn't consider using anything else. Also anything under 50# test is junk. I still use mono on my baitcasters but all my spinning gear is braid.

5. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    80# high vis. yellow power pro works great for me :wink:

6. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Chris, Power Pro now comes with a double sided adhesive tab that sticks to the spool, and is very sticky, the line sticks to it as well. I bought my 65 lb. PP Yellow, at Cabelas, and they spooled it for me for free. Very tight, with the spooling machine. They still tie a knot, but that adhesive is great. No more backing, no slippage. Awesome. :big_smile:

7. mintaka

mintaka Well-Known Member

State:
    Charlotte , N.C
    When I first began using braid , my primary quip was the fact that it would spin on the spool under tension , even with the drag set to max. To remedy this , I looked in Game and Fish and a guy said to use yarn or mono as a backing on the spool to eliminate the spin. Sure enough it worked and I havent looked back since. The Spiderwire has helped land my biggest fish yet and innumerable small ones. A new 70 size spinning outfit I bought at BPS was also promptly spooled with 80 pound , but I've yet to put it to the test.:cool2:!!

8. 320hotrod

320hotrod New Member

State:
    KCMO
    I've tried a few different braids in the past, and haven't changed since I found Power Pro. All of my rods are spinners except my snaggin' rods. Only my ultralite still has mono. Smaller cat rods and bass rods have 30#, larger cat rods have 50#, and snaggin baitcasters have 100#, and none have any issues. Like mentioned earlier, if you use properly spool it on to prevent the slipping, you'll enjoy using it. I am 100% confident in my line, which makes a huge difference in the way that I fish.

9. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    braid was made for spinning reels. fine diameter/strength ratio, lack of stretch, and no memory those three factors alone make it perfect. if you're new to using braid a few tips have already been mentioned but here's one under fill your reel at first and get to know your reel again some reels perform better under filled and by that i mean fewer wind knots or birds nests. other reels will perform fine when filled with braid. and regardless of you reel here are two things to always do when using braid on a spinning reel first close the bail manually that way you eliminate ant loops that can turn up at the end of a cast and second pinch the line between your fingers to take up the slack until you feel the tension.

10. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    Thanks for the replies, guys. I played with Fireline Crystal for a little bit last fall, 20# test. I really liked the sensitivity and lack of stretch. You can feel everything. It really isn't a braided line though, and it's a bit stiff.

How's the visibilty of the green colored lines? I'm not worried about the fish seeing it, I'm worried about me seeing it. I'm a line watcher by habit, and the green seems like it would be hard to see?? I know that PP and some other lines come in bright colors.

Mr. Mark, I'm glad that you replied, I was hoping to get your input. Nice article in the Catfish Insider, by the way.

11. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    thanks Chris and I'm glad i could be of help on both parts.