Braid on a spinning Reel

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by catseeman, Jul 25, 2006.

1. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Does anyone use baided line on spinning reels? I have 30lb mono on a large spinning reel mounted on a 10 MH berkley glowstick. I think useing a braided line with smaller diameter would increase the casting distance. I worry about Line twist. Is it a big deal with braided line on spinning set ups.

2. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I've got 20# Remington Core Lockt on a reguar sized spinning reel, and I love it. It's the same diameter as 6# mono, and casts like 6# mono. I haven't had as much trouble with twisting as I do with mono.

3. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    I use spiderwire, and it's all I use for catting. I also use spinner gear, mostly Garcia. I've never had any type of trouble. Later Andy

4. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I use 30lb 8lb diameter, on small to normal spinning reels, shimano fx2000 and works great on others too. Spiderwire and stren superbraid.

5. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Me too. About all I use is power pro and spinning reels and I've not had any problems.

ST

6. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    I have to agree with SeedTick on this one. The PP is used on all reels with the exception of 2 by me. This is due to float fishing and the one drawback that exist with PP because of its floating characteristics. Spinning reels are my primary choice for most fishing in fresh water. When fishing in salt water, I will use spinning for light to medium most of the time and baitcasters for open water applications. I am very comfortable with braided lines in all types of fishing situations. JMHO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HOPPY4

7. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Much of my catfishing is done drifting in my kayak. I use Big Game in 10-15 lb test, depending on the rod and reel, and a 20 or 30 lb leader. How does braid work for drift fishing, thinking about putting in on my Shimano Sedona 2500, probably 20 lb test.

8. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    I did have braid on an ultralight spinning reel, long 7'6" rod. It never gave any trouble as far as twists and I wasn't using any swivels on it. But, it had a bad tendency to whip around the long rod's skinny tip, finally abraided the tip so badly it broke off. No longer use braid on that set up. Bass Pro replaced the rod no questions asked, same for same. But, with a somewhat shorter rod, 6'6" and a bigger reel, since I drift fish a lot, have wondered if it may reduce my line twist some. Not that the line twist has been bad since I began using P-line swivels instead of standard barrels.

9. greg

greg USCA - STAFF Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    GA/ Ia
    I have no problems with mine.

10. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I currently use Power Pro on 6 spinning reels in # tests of 10 (1 UL), 40 (2 M), 65 (2 MH), and 80 (1 H).

I would go with the 65# PP for your setup, mainly because the line is 16# test diameter. You would want to set your drag at about 10# for this to make sure you don't damage your rod or reel.
    I haven't had a problem with line twist, except for in my mono leaders when the swivels don't quite do the job right.

All but one of my 7 "current use" combos are spinning reels with PP, the other is a baitcaster. I don't quite have the practice with it to use PP yet.

11. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I use 16/65lb power pro on all my spinning reels.

12. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    One more dumb ?. For the backing do you use the same diameter of mono or the same size test?
    I am laning toward the diameter so it lays on the reel even, without binding into the backing.
    ? How much backing should i use?
    I guess i had two ?'s

13. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I use 20lb big game mono. You only need enough to cover the spool plus a few more cranks. You really dont have to worry about it laying even since you'll be adding much more main line and it evens its self out. I have never even been remotely close to my backing to worry about my main line ever binding or sinking into the backing. I also think the slightly larger dia(20lb dia mono-16lb dia PP)of the mono backing also helps with making a stronger knot when connecting the two.

14. vegasryder

vegasryder New Member

State:
    illinois
    I have 50lb(Tuf-line) test on mine with no problems...It kinda shortens my casting distance but not by much.I`m really not going for the world record casting,i`m usually fishing 15-75ft from shore.

15. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    For backing I use the same diameter as the main line. If I ever get a fish that takes all the Power Pro (not bloody likely), My backing will probably break, I'll loose all that expensive PP, but I won't break my rod or reel. You don't need much backing. Last one I did, I put 20 yds of backing, then finished with PP. Basically, you want at least a layer of backing. All it is there for is to keep the braid from slipping on the bare spool.

16. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Leonard, I have a Penn saltwater spinning reel spooled with 40 lb. Stren Superbraid and I really like the performance of the reel with the braid. The 40 lb. braid is equivalent to 10 lb. mono. Works for me!

17. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I use electrical tape with no problems.

18. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    I do like the others and try to match the diameter of the backing with the diameter of the braid.

Hey Brian, Am I understanding right, you use electrical tape for backing? If so how much? This would eliminate a knot and be a lot easier in my opinion. Thanks

ST

19. channelcat_tracker

channelcat_tracker New Member

State:
    Iowa
    yea i use 30 pound braided fireline and i think it works ALOT better than mono, though its hard to cut through!

20. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    My oldest son gave me areel last with 50 lb P/p for salt water Stripers now thats all I use:lol: