Braid on a spincast??

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by Jnagel, Jan 1, 2010.

1. Jnagel

Jnagel New Member

State:
    Illinois.
    I have a Zebco prostaff 888 that i am planning on re spooling soon. This is my only spincast i still use cause it is one heck of a workhorse and very reliable i always keep it handy on fishing trips. I was thinking about trying some braided line on it but i'm worried it will cut into the spindle or malfunction someother way. Do you guys think braid would work or should i stick with berkley big game 20-30LB?

2. fishinfreak19D

fishinfreak19D New Member

State:
    Pittston, PA
    im not sure how well braid would work on a spincast, i wont even use it on a spinning reel, not sure y, just a superstition i have

3. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Works great, no line twist problems like you have with mono.

Will the guides hold up????? Don't know that, it depends on the guides you have on your rod, just the same as any baitcast rod.

I put it on 4 spincast rods for skipjack fishing and it works good for me.

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Jake you will have no immediate problems. The reel pick up pins might show faster wear than normal. Depends on amount of use. You will probably prefer the braid after trying it.

5. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I,ve tried it a couple of times with poor results. It will work pretty well for the first trip or two, but then it will kink up on the spool and never cast well again. I think it has to fo with the sharp angle the line travels around the pickup pin and onto the spool.

6. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Had 40LB PP braid on my Boss Hawg for the past 4 years, works fine for me, casts alot further now, its alot smoother and handles fish alot better too :wink:

7. Jnagel

Jnagel New Member

State:
    Illinois.
    Thanks for sharing your experience with me guys. I'm just getting into braid and plan on getting a large spool and putting it on all of my poles. I never thought about the eyes not holding up but the pole that my 888 is on came off a boss hawg combo so thats good knowing that it can work. I'm leaning twards Team Catfish tow braid whatcha all think?

8. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Hard to beat Power Pro!

9. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    yep, put ya on power pro and get some e tape and ya be fine, skip eyes right on