Braid is birdnesting

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Hunt4lyf, Jan 8, 2010.

1. Hunt4lyf

Hunt4lyf New Member

State:
    Colorado
    I went out today to practice with my new cat setup, a 15 ft ugly stik and an Okuma Coronado CD65. I put used 40 lb PP braid on it that I had used on another reel all summer and never had one issue with it. When I went to cast, the braid was getting major tangles in it on the release inbetween the spool and the first eye. This is a new setup for me and the first time I had used it. I was practicing on a soccer field and my best cast was 365 ft with a 4 oz weight.

Does braid go bad? I was under the impression that braid didn't take a set like mono does and lasted for alot longer than mono does also. I thought maybe I had to much backing (20 lb stren) so I took off 30-40 yds of it and while it didn't tangle as bad it still did it, little ones though. Should I just respool with new stuff or is there something that I am missing? Thanks.

2. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    Might want to get some line conditioner before you buy new line unless you dont care..but if it was colg out.. the braid will freeze up.

3. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    I don't know, But,,,
    Welcome to the BOC, er , a USCA...:Happy:

4. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    get the line wet, or maybe tighten the line on the reel. or adjust the drag for casting. what i can think of. 364 cast is a hella of a cast to me.
    gary

5. Hunt4lyf

Hunt4lyf New Member

State:
    Colorado
  6. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Dennis,I,ve got reels(both spinning and casting) that have braid on em up to 5 years old.I,ve never experienced anything like what your describing.Maybe it got something to do with getting used to the new setup.Hope ya get it straightened out.

7. Hunt4lyf

Hunt4lyf New Member

State:
    Colorado
    I'm thinking I figured it out. I've been reading some older posts about using braid and it was recommended to spool it by running the line through a phonebook with some weight on it. I did that last year when I put it on originally and never had a problem but when I did it today on the new rig I just put it on like regular line. I'll be that it wasn't spooled on it tight enough (I hope). Thanks for the reply BCP.

8. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    sounds like you may have found the error of your way. i was thinking the line wasn't spooled under tension or you have the reel overfilled or a combination of both. go back out to that soccer field and tie your line to one post and walk to the other end of the field then reel it back on with a lot of tension and give it a few casts. i doubt you'll have any problems after that.

9. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I agree. Even with mono i occasionally like to tie off my line and back up down the drive till i get it unspooled. Give it a good stretching and wind it back up under tension. I lost the best fish i ever had a hold of last year with 65# PP. I didn't spool the line under much pressure and kept tightening the drag. Bad mistake on my part and ended up losing my fish. Thinking my new 6500C had let me down, i got home and did the walk backward thing, spooled it under tension and never had another problem. Live and learn

10. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i live by a main road so i look silly as hell walking down the edge witha 10 ft water eagle lol

11. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    I dont use spinning but use the phone book thing with a little weight on top to spool up. Then it is easier to do with one person-my kids apprciate that.

The only thing i have to add to your post is that i wet my line down. i usually spool mine up tie it off to something in the yard and head down the street with my water bottle . i wet the spool as it unwinds and then wind it back up tight.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2010
  12. Blind In Texas

Blind In Texas New Member

State:
    Houston, T-E-X-A-S
    I love that sig....

13. Blind In Texas

Blind In Texas New Member

State:
    Houston, T-E-X-A-S
    Good point. I watched a guy on utoob doing the same thing. He just kept looking at the camera with a goofy grin and all the while he kept tightening the drag on his spinning reel. The cut scene was him panting, with a broken rod above the handle, and a nice fish.

14. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    Welcome to the Club...

i think you found the error of your ways, and when i read your post that is exactly what i was thinking and was going to tell you...

after you are done, take and cast it out absolutely as far as you can and reel it in while holding tension with your pointer and thumb while reeling in. sometimes it is good to where a glove because it could burn ya, but keep as much tension on the line as you can as you reel it as fast as you can so you can get a good tight spool. i even try to do that when i check my lines.

i do it with mono as well as when i used to use braid a while back, which i am converting back to this year. as long as your not in abrasive spots, you can't beat it. i used it for musky fishing for a long time, i should have never switched over to mono.

15. Jeremy Sheffey

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    on more thing, that line conditioner is a waste of time in my opinion for braid especially. i couldnt tell much difference on my 50lb mono, but on my smaller it seemed to help A LITTLE, but didnt last but a few casts. IMO its a waste of money.

16. BubbaCat

BubbaCat New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Jeffro i got news for you you just look silly as hell !

17. hct236

hct236 Well-Known Member

State:
    virginia
    An easy and cheap way to make a line spooling tool is to screw a 2x4 to your work bench, drill a 7/16 hole, put a short piece of 3/8 all thread thru the hole and secure with a nut and washer on each side of the 2x4 then place your spool on the all thread between 2 more nuts and washers. Use the nuts and washers on either side of the spool to adjust tension and reel the line on the reel under tension. I included a drawing

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 22, 2010
  18. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Jeffro would that look be a change? Put Palin's Pic on your shirt and no one will notice you.

19. Jeremy Sheffey

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    Reps to ya buddy, i have been trying to figure something else out... i am really glad you posted that... Reps to ya!!!

20. hct236

hct236 Well-Known Member

State:
    virginia
    sometimes it helps to use felt washers like for battery terminals between the steel washers and the spool.