Braid & increased spool corrosion?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by peewee williams, Jul 21, 2007.

1. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    The more I search the web,the more I come across long time saltwater fishermen and braid users claiming increased spool corrosion.They think braid retains more saltwater than mono.Now there are many old Penns & Daiwa reels of all types used with mono for years with spool corrosion.Washing the reel will not wash out that spooled line.A spool rigged with a drill,a reel with a large empty spool that you can reel the line off through a fresh water spray or trailing all of the line out in a fresh water river is the only way that I know of.Anyone have any personal knowledge or ideas on this problem or the best way to combat it? Will some modern waxes hold up better and be more help? Has anyone tried 3M Plastic Surgical Tape to wrap their spools with before installing braid? I have heard people praise it.Also,two large reels and two spare empty spools are great for using to put the "exact" amount of mono backing on for your braid or vice versa if you wish.Some of you fish saltwater.Do you have any thoughts or solutions on any of these things?I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

2. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    My thought is that I've been catching fish just as large and just as feisty in the same places for years. It dont take a braid to get them out.

3. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I agree wholeheartedly.I do see where braid comes in handy with being able to get much more line of a given test on a spool.This is great when you are subject to hook into some of the the Saltwater Pelagic species which I call the "Saltwater Hot Rods".Do any of you have reels with Stainless Steel Main and Pinion Gears? If so,what grease and/or oil do you lube them with?Thanks.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

4. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    I'm a braided fan personally for saltwater. Smaller and tougher. As for corrosion sure the braided will hold far more water but it will have to be wet enough to soak through the remaining line. The only wayI see a problem would be if you submurged the reel in saltwater then you may want to pull out the line. I don't know what kind of reel your talking about, but my conventional saltwater reels are sealed and coated. I guess if corrosion set in take the spool out sand it down and paint it. My saltwater spinners have been around For years have been submurged in saltwater, sand, and been completely neglected. I wash them off and they still work like new,,,well almost:wink:.

5. StormCaster

StormCaster New Member

State:
    New York
    Never had a problem with braid on a spool fishing saltwater. It would have to go all the way down to the mono backing and even at that these spools today are better protected.