braid help!!

Discussion in 'LOCAL VIRGINIA TALK' started by kathunter_64, Aug 12, 2008.

1. kathunter_64

kathunter_64 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    hey guys i was just wondering if you had any info on the diameter of braided line compaired to like 10 lb mono. the new reels im switching to dont hold very much line so i was gona switch to a stronger braid to compensate for strenth.

pretty much i wanna know what braid has the same diameter as 10lb mono, just incase it wasnt clear what i was asking.

thanks alot

2. catfishangler

catfishangler New Member

State:
    virginia
    hey i don't really know the answer to that but i am trying to get some people to gether for a cat tourny would you be interested

3. blazerjet

blazerjet New Member

State:
    indiana
    17 lb braid is like 2 lb mono dia. so u should be able to spool more braid u know.

4. kathunter_64

kathunter_64 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    where are you wantin to have this tournament?

5. catfishangler

catfishangler New Member

State:
    virginia
    around dutch gap or deep water term

6. kathunter_64

kathunter_64 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    what part of VA are you in?

7. catfishangler

catfishangler New Member

State:
    virginia
    around chesterfield next to richmond

8. kathunter_64

kathunter_64 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    woah, thats a pretty good ways from me. im in southwest virginia. little place called clintwood

9. catfishangler

catfishangler New Member

State:
    virginia
    ohh i got you well i mean i don't really know to much about that place but i mean i would love to get a bunch of good ol cat fisher man together and have a good night of fishing i got a 37 and a 45 pound blue last week out the james

10. kathunter_64

kathunter_64 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    i havnt got anything here recently. i think im gona try drifting in some deep water tomorow though..

11. catfishangler

catfishangler New Member

State:
    virginia
    well i hope that maybe somtime you can come up and fish with us good luck

12. Wvawitrado

Wvawitrado New Member

State:
    California, Fresno
    not trying to get off topic I have a tekota 500 do you think 50lb braid is too much? I fish this rod mainly for the bigguns

13. cdf1961

cdf1961 New Member

State:
    va
    6 LB-1 LB MONO EQUIV. DIA.
    8 LB-1.5 LB MONO EQUIV. DIA
    10 LB-2 LB MONO EQUIV. DIA.
    15 LB-4 LB MONO EQUIV. DIA
    20 LB-6 LB MONO EQUIV. DIA.
    30 LB-8 LB MONO EQUIV. DIA.
    50 LB-12 LB MONO EQUIV. DIA.
    65 LB-15 LB MONO EQUIV. DIA.
    80 LB-17 LB MONO EQUIV. DIA

14. kathunter_64

kathunter_64 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    well i beleive i may go with the 20lb braid. what brand do you guys like? i always used the powerpro 80lb.

15. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I tried Spider wire on several reels years ago when it first came out. I took it all off after a one year trial. I didn't like it because.

1) It eats up your line guides
    2) Braid is not nearly as tough and abraision resistant as Monofilament
    3) It slips on the reel unless you put mono backing on first.
    4) It eats up the rollers on spinning reels
    5) Way more expensive than tough as nails Berkeley Big Game Mono.

The benefits of braid are:

1) Much smaller diameter so more line capacity.
    2) Super sensitivity, you flat out feel the smallest bites.
    3) No stretch so you can set the hook good when using J Hooks. I think the stretch in Mono is helps though when using circle hooks and a set drag to let the fish set the hook.
    4) You can Troll deeper using Braid as the smaller line diameter produces less drag in the water.

Both lines have their benefits, I am just a plain old timer Fred Flintstone living in the dark ages monofilament loving fisherman. Good luck

16. kathunter_64

kathunter_64 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    the only reason i want to use it is because of line capacity. i use the big game now for my reels. but im changing my style a little bit. the new reels im gettin only hold like 100 yards of 12 lb mono. ive just realized that the chances of gettin a big cat here are slim. so im going to lighter tackle so i can enjoy fighting smaller fish. its the whole reason i fish anyway, i love fighting catfish.. dont really have a reason, i just love it.

another reason for the braid is because i can get a stronger line than 12 incase i do get on a nice sized cat. because who knows, there may be a 30-40 pounder swimmin somewhere around here.

17. Dallison

Dallison Member

State:
    Virginia
    What part is the "roller" on a baitcast reel. I have my abus loaded with braid. I don't want to ruin a roller but so far its worked fine. It does suffer abrasions but I'm sure its because its reeling in over rocks and trash in the river.
    thanks....never mind....I just reread the post. I don't use a spinning reel.....and never will.

david

18. Dallison

Dallison Member

State:
    Virginia
    My grandparents live in clintwood....do you fish in the Cranes Nest?
    Where else would you fish there? I haven't been there in years for all I know we could be cousins there are only like a few family generations there...Davis, Stanley, Mullins ect.....

19. kathunter_64

kathunter_64 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    yeah i actualy fished craines nest last night. its my favorite place around here to fish. you outa make a trip here sometime and we can try to find some fish in this catfish barron wasteland of a lake. we only had one cat on last night and it threw the hook.. so i had to teach a guy how to properly hook cut bait with a circle hook...