Braid help.

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by caneycat, Apr 17, 2008.

1. caneycat

caneycat New Member

State:
    Texas
    I have been thinking of putting PowerPro on my Two Abu 7000ic3's and my two Penn 209's and I have a few Questions.
    1. I was told not to get bigger than 65 lb line, why?
    2. What pound line should I get?
    3. How much backing should I put on the reels?
    4. What pound backing should I get?
    5. How much different will the reels cast with braid then the 25 lb mono I have now?
    6. I was told to get the 150 yard spool, Should I get it or the 300 yard spool?
    Thank you for your help.

2. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    Dylan:

Personally, I use 80# Calcutta Ultra Braid. Sure it might be overkill, I don't really care though, peace of mind. I have lost some big Flatheads in the past in some crazy logjams using 50# test. That's why I bumped the line up a bit. Anyway, I guess it all depends on the waters you fish. I have not had any problems since. One thing to consider is whether you have stainless steel quides or not. Braids will often cut into, or pop out the eyelets. Also make sure you do not set your drag too tight, as the braid has a tendancy to dig into itself, really bad. The braids cast just fine. Might take a little getting use to I guess. Always do a "precast" before you bait up to make sure the line has not dug into itself at all. I do miss mono, however, I love having a bunch of line on my spool. I usually get a 1000 yard spool. Good Luck!

3. caneycat

caneycat New Member

State:
    Texas
    I have 8' Uglystick catfish rods Will braid cut the eyes on them them?

4. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    caneycat, I use Power-Pro and Love it!!!!!!!! What Stumpjumper has said has merit and should be taken to heart. I also add that Braid will give you a Better Hook-Set as it will not stretch. This being said, you will not need to Cross the Eyes of the fish. A single raised tip will normally sink the J-hook and having the drag very stiff will allow the rodtip to set a Circle-hook. On the question of Backing, I don't use it! I tie a sinch knot with 2 additional hitches followed by Electrical tape. This has worked for me for many years and the line does not slip on Spinning or Baitcaster reels. The line is sealed to the spool and remains intact without question. Break Strength? I am using 50/80/100/200lb. PP on the reels that I own. The 50lb. is for lure fishing up to Carp fishing with a 80lb. leader for casting the weight. The 100/200lb. is for Salt water. From trolling to vertical jigging and this places a great deal of strain on the reel and line whenit is attached to the spool. To this point I have not had any occurance of Line Slippeage with any of my reels. Eyes on Guides? Again, you will need to pay attention to them if using Braid. The Older and also the lower quality guides will be a problem. A rod with Fugi or any Hardloy guides will be Best when using Braid. It is still a Good thing to check before fishing to see if any abbraision has occured. This can be accomplished with a cotton ball. If the cotton catches, it will also cut the braid and possibly make you loose a Good fish. Braid can be purchased from many different firms so don't get the brand I use because I said so. Try some for yourself on 1 combination and see if it is what you want! All things said here are my opinion and other may differ. You are the one who will need to be satisfied.

HOPPY4

5. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    James said what I was going to. Electrical tape is a braided lines best friend, it wont slip on the spool at all this way. I switched all my gear to braid and love. Mono is for leaders from now on.

6. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    they may have told you not to go over 65 because if you get hung up your gonna have to brake off and you might play heck tring to break 100# line:eek:oooh: id put atleast 150yrds on each reel and whatever ammount of 50# backing you need. you can get 150yard spools so you know how mutch you got on each or get bigger spools and guess. to find out how mutch backing you need, put your pp on an empty reel tye your mono on and fill it up then tye the mono on to your other empty reel and reel the line off the full one to the empty one and youll be toped off and have a good idea on how mutch your gonna need for the other reel.

7. ninrugger

ninrugger New Member

State:
    WI
    1) not sure why they told you to not go above 65, i run 80 and don't have any problem, breaking off can be a pain though. just make sure you use a stick or something you can wrap the line around to pull. if you pull with the rod, it might break. if you pull with the reel, the line will dig in on itself. if you pull with your hand, you'll slice your hand open good.
    2) use what poundage you're comfortable with and what the conditions dictate. my biggest cat (approx 30lb) came in on a bass rod rigged with 30lb spiderwire stealth. this was before i got serious about chasing the kitties.
    3-4) you can do what the guys suggested with the electrical tape....but i like to use backing to help fill up the reel to the proper level. i try to get on the 150 yards of braid, the rest is whatever mono i have left over sittin' around, 6lb-50lb...just make sure there is a good knot connecting them, i use a double uni knot. unless you're sleepin', a fish shouldn't get you down to your backing....this isn't fly fishing. besides, 150 yard spools aren't cheep either. with the reel filled properly, it makes casting a lot easier and you can reel in at the ratio that the reel is meant for.
    5) as far as casting goes, make sure you have the break tightened down a little more than usual when you start off casting with the braid. it'll fly off the spool. i'm having a little issue going from braid back to flouro on one of my bass fishing rods and it's quite the experience because i'm used to the braid casting quite a bit easier. especially with the 20lb line, i don't care what kind of mono you have, it has a 389327 times more memory than braid.
    6) i'd stick with the 150 yard spool unless you're going to spool multiple rods with the same line. get the 300 and split it between two rods. i ended up doing that and getting a cheapo line counter so i could split it up. it's cheaper going the 300 between two rods usually.

i think you had another question about your catfish uglystick, i have one of those i haven't had any problems with the guides getting tore up from the braid....as a matter of fact, i haven't had any problem with any guides on any of my rods....cheapo or expensive....you shouldn't have an issue.

hope this helps

8. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Well, the 7000c3i has a nut on the spool tie your braid to that. Thats what it's there for. With your line tied to that the braid can not spin on the spool. If you use 80 pound test braid it's about the same as 20 pound mono. You get your abrasion resistance from the diameter of the fishing line. Mono backing is probably best though. The mono will act like a cushion as the braid digs down on the spool. Another tip put that braid on as tight as you can get it. The tighter the better this keeps the braid from digging into it's self.

9. caneycat

caneycat New Member

State:
    Texas
    I got one 150 yard spool of 65 lb PowerPro today and I am going to try to get one a week. Thanks for the replies, Keep the tip coming I would like to know as much as I can about braid.

10. caneycat

caneycat New Member

State:
    Texas
    One more thing. How will a bobber stop knot work with braid? I use floss as the stop.

11. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    As I wrote earlier, PP Floats and it is for that reason that I use mono when I am FLOAT fishing. I have (1) one reel that I use for Float fishing and it has MONO on it. Special usage: When fishing in current and using a FLOAT to keep the bait from going too deep, you are provided an Advantage/Disadvantage situation. The Floating properties will assist you in following and keeping the bait at the correct depth. We used this same method to catch Wels in France and Italy. ( Fishing from the boat with the baits trolled at different angels and distances)! This can also be a problem when there is a large amount of TRASH on the water. Anything and everything is going to catch on this line as it passes by. Additionally as wind moves the watrer, so it also does your LINE. Tieing a Stop Knot that is the Figure-Eight type will work BEST. Due to braids properties and slick feel, the knot must have double holding area to maintain the bead in the correct position. (I do not like to have a Loop in my line as with some Float Stop Holders)! Final Answer, Yes you can!!

HOPPY4

12. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Dear Young Brother Dylan;
    If you want to learn more about Braided Lines I would suggest two things to you.
    1. If you have not done so, look in the BOC Library and Archives under "Lines" or "Line Reports" and such.
    2. Since you bought Power Pro, which happens to be my personal favorite too, why not visit the Power Pro site listed on the information sheet you should have gotten with your line. :wink:
    Doing these two things will most likely give you the same information that many of us have with regards to Braided Lines.
    You can also use your computer search engines to look up information too.
    Finally, when you have used your Power Pro for a bit and have gotten some experience with it, please take the time to share your experiences, findings, and opinions, with the rest of us Brother's and Sister's of the BOC. After all, information exchange is one of our "Biggies". :wink::smile2:
    I hope all of this helps you in some small way.
    Fraternally,
    Coyote1
    [[[[[End of Post]]]]]

13. caneycat

caneycat New Member

State:
    Texas
    Thanks I will look in the Library and I did try to get on powerpro.com but it will not pull up the site.

14. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    TO SEE IF YOUR ROD EYES CAN TAKE THE BRAD CALL THE MFG. AND ASK THEME . WHEN I SWITSH TO POWER PRO I CALLED SHAKESPEARE AND THEY SAID IT WAS OK ON THE CATSTICKS, THEY ALSO SAID NOT TO USE SPIDER WIRE BECAUSE IT WILL CUT INTO THE CERAMIC EYE, DID NOT SAY WHY IT CUTS THEY JUST SAID THAT IT WOULD, SS EYE ALL O K LIKE THE TIGRE ROD:smile2: I ONLY USE 65 lb TEST I THINK IF YOUR SET UP RIGHT THAT IS ALL YOU NEED

15. catfishbills

catfishbills New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I just spooled up 6 Penn 209's and 4 abu 7000's started with Berkley Big game 30#. Here is a simple way, put 100yds of the mono as backing, tie the uni-knot it shows in the Power pro phamplet to your 80# Power pro then reel up (tight) untill reel is full. I bought all 300yd spools of the power pro and fill 2 reels with each. If you put aprox 100yds of 30# mono these reels will hold about 130-150 yds of 80# braid (18diam.) When your Power-pro starts to show sonme wear, then all you do is get a reel ready with mono backing and tie the used end of the power-pro to the reel with the mono backing and you will be able to fill that reel up with "fresh" line, because the line hasnt been used that "deep" in the spool (unless you DEEP troll alot) I hope this helps and I didnt confuse ya. Its pretty simple really, but does take some time, depending on how many reels you have to get ready:wink:

16. caneycat

caneycat New Member

State:
    Texas
    I just got done spooling up my 209's and 7000's and wanted to post a few things that might help others that are spooling up those reels with 65 lb powerpro. With a 150 yard spool of 65 lb braid and 25 lb big game as backing it took 200 cranks of the reel handle on my Abu 7000's to get the right amount of backing and 250 cranks on the Penn 209's. Can't wait to hook up with a big cat! Thanks for the help!

17. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i use 20# backing on mine, and 60# power pro. even with that setup, you'll be pulling your boat around if you get hung up. i would suggest using 20# big game for a leader so it's easier to snap off a snag, but still fight fish.

18. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    Hey folks. I've got a braid problem. I've got 600 yards of 80# magnabraid on my saltwater reel and the stuff breaks off at 36#. Thought the line was bad so I did a test with new ine and thats where the number came in. help please. Caneycat, sorry but had to ask on you thread, hope you don't mind

19. caneycat

caneycat New Member

State:
    Texas
    I don't mind, that is what this is here for.