Braid dia and pole specs Q's

Discussion in 'LOCAL INDIANA TALK' started by evilfud, Jun 29, 2009.

1. evilfud

evilfud New Member

State:
    IN
    Ok when dealing with braid and pole specs how is this handled for tuning? For example if a reel is specced for 15-30lb line and you want to use braid do you have to get braid that is rated for like 100lb but with a dia of 15-30lb for the reel to tune correctly?

Or is it ok to be using 20lb braid with a dia of 6lb test mono?

Is braid ok to use in a closed face reel?

Any reason i should use mono over braid? I so far have been lucky enough to get unsnagged or hook breaks.

Thanks,
    Fud

2. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    In answer to the first question, yes, if you read power pro's specs, that is how they tell you to size the line.

3. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    you just use the pound test braid you think you need. the only problem with thin braid is nasty back lashes on bait casters. weather you want to use braid or mono depends on how you fish. i dont like braid for bank or anchored still fishing. i got more drops on braid from the feel transferred to the fish(i think). now if your a drifter ,with circle hooks, the braid is a better choice. the no stretch sets better and its too late for the fish to drop anyhow.

thats my take on it for you brother

4. old newbie

old newbie New Member

State:
    indiana
    The thread stated pole specs but only reels are adressed. At a local bait shop the old timer said if a rod was rated at 12# tops and you put 20# on it no matter the dia. you are putting yourself in a position of breaking your rod before you break the line. Seems like the same would be true for reels.:confused2:

5. ErrorS

ErrorS New Member

State:
    indiana
    I always go bigger than the rod, so i set my drag for rod breaking strength and not line. The extra strength of the line helps with it getting frayed, worn, etc.

undersizing causes less problems for me than oversizing on reels.. powerpro is the only line that comes close to acting like the diameter of the same size mono.

6. old newbie

old newbie New Member

State:
    indiana
    Welcome to the boc.

7. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    There's really no "tuning" involved. The line rating on the rod indicates what strength line the rod was meant to handle. It's usually given as a range (like 10-15 pound line) rather than a single number like 12 pound test. What this means is that under normal fishing conditions, if you use the indicated line strength, the rod will work well and have enough strength to pull on a fish/snag/whatever and not break. I view it as rod companies covering their arse in the event of some crazy circumstance.

It is misleading because we all here commonly rig our rods with heavy class lines exceeding the rating on our rods. I, for example, have 50lb Power Pro on a Ugly Stik Catfish rated for 15-30 lb line. The likelyhood that you break a rod under normal fishing conditions is slim unless your gear is completely undermatched ( like spooling ultralight crappie gear with 100lb test braid and trying to land a 50lb flathead)

Pick up a good stout catfish rod with a fast tip, match it with a reel that you're comfortable with. Pick a line based on the qualities you like about it (mono vs braid arguement) and just make sure the breaking strength of the line is high enough you aren't gonna break off your target fish. In other words if you are chasing eater channels only, theres no need for 50lb line.

In my experience I've never seen anyone have any luck putting braid on a closed face reel. The slick-ness of the braid keeps the drag from working properly.

8. old newbie

old newbie New Member

State:
    indiana
    One more comment on the braid vs mono. This year was my first time with a baitcaster reel. I spooled it with braid and had very little trouble getting use to the baitcaster. Yesterday I was told if I had put mono on I would have had much more trouble with bird nests. Not enough experience here to argue that point, does anyone else share that opinion?

9. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    When I started on baitcasters I spooled up with mono because I was told mono casts easier. I've since spooled up with braid and prefer it over mono. The memory on heavy mono makes loose coils on the spool that cause more backlashes in my opinion. With no memory the braid stays tight to the spool and causes less problems.

I will say though, that when I have caused a backlash with braid that they are generally much worse to get out.

10. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    thats because the thicker line is easier to pick out the nests. i always tell new bait casters to use cheap thick line to learn with because of that reason.

11. catfishcatcher

catfishcatcher New Member

State:
    indiana
    Either way the backlash can be some what controlled by adjusting the tension on the spool. Most people adjust this so the line moves off the spool very very slow when just starting out. Once you get good at it then you can open it up some more. I have used a baitcaster since I was a kid so I usually keep mine wide open. It just takes some practice with them. I have always used mono for catfishing but I have been thinking about trying out some braid. Real heavy mono doesnt cast well or hold well to the spool. I could use a heavy pound braid and have a much smaller diameter if I was to use the braid. I normally use 25 lb big game and it cast well. This line isnt quite heavy enough for ohio river fishing for big blues and flatheads. I need some thing more abrasion resistance and stronger than the 25lb mono. We lost some nice fish on our last trip due to this problem.

12. evilfud

evilfud New Member

State:
    IN
    Well thanks for all of the replies. I got a new rig and man is this thing purty. I got some nice sinker slidez and bumpers and some other stuff from Team Catfish and have currently lined it with spiderwire 20lb braid. I am going to most likely respool it with some 30-50 ProPower? braid i think. I have used a bass type baitcaster for a long time so it wasnt much of a change to the barrel type.

Thanks,
    Fud

13. old newbie

old newbie New Member

State:
    indiana
    That was my next concern, i only have the low profile and was wondering about the difficulty in going to the barrel type.

14. catfishcatcher

catfishcatcher New Member

State:
    indiana
    Do your new reels have the bait clicker feature on them. We mainly use the abu's brand.

15. old newbie

old newbie New Member

State:
    indiana
    Ebay has a 300yd spool of 65# power pro for $18 plus $3 for shipping. Bidding stops at 11:30 am 7/2/09

16. evilfud

evilfud New Member

State:
    IN
    I think so it is a Abu Garcia TGC6000C with a 8 foot Berkley Cherrywood Glass.

Fud