Brackish Mixed Bag

Discussion in 'Salt Water Fishing' started by C_wernett, Dec 2, 2007.

1. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Well, took my oldest daughter (6) out today at a little spot on the White Oak river that that a buddy had told me some fish were being caught. We didn't catch nearly the amounts of fish that he was saying that people had been catching, but we had a good time adn brought home 14 decent black drum and one chain pickeral! Oddly enough, with the salinity in that area, we also saw catfish, shellcracker and flounder...that's an area you just don't know what you'll get on your next cast!

2. O2Bfishing

O2Bfishing New Member

State:
    West Virginia

3. redfishman

redfishman New Member

State:
    South Louisiana
    That's awesome!! Not familiar where the White Oak river empties...into the Pamlico Sound through Jacksonville? Relating to the Mississippi river delta and it's passes into the gulf, times of "low water" a saltwater wedge forms with denser/heavier water. As the flow of freshwater decreases the wedge becomes more pronounced and moves upriver. Within the water column you may have dirty fresh water at the top and clear higher salanity at the bottom. Fishing inland you can throw on one side of the boat and catch pesky schooled "greenies" bass(salt intolerant) .Your partner could be throwing into deeper water on the other side of the boat and start smacking speckled trout-Reds-sheepshead. Like you said "you never know what you'll get"- It's really dynamic all based on tides-rainfall and waterflow- and prolonged winds. Great report. Do you all have a slot size for the drum? In La. we have a 16"in min and 1- over 27" with a total limit of 5. They are great eating.

4. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    :big_smile:Slot 18"-27", one fish in the slot only. We've got a mess of them suckers here too! In fact, so many big reds that it's almost run the crabbers out of business. A buddy of mine and I went out in the salt off a local island here, and found a school of reds between 20" and 36", with a few scattered 40"+fish (though we didn't catch any), that probably numbered close to 1500 strong, and that's just ONE school, off ONE part of the island. There were reports of smaller schools ranging up to 50 down an island a bit south of where we were fishing.

I love reds though! Especially on the grill! :big_smile:

5. redfishman

redfishman New Member

State:
    South Louisiana
    Reds really stackup in the Winter and you can wear your arm out and bruise-but they are alot of fun. We cook them 'on the half shell' scale side down on the grill and will load them up with lump crab meat -veggies and then smother them with crawfish before serving.Throw on a salad with garlic french bread and look out mama!!

6. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    Yep, reds school big time in the winter. Easy to catch 6 or 8 from 6 pounds up without moving the kayak. Cept when a 15 or 20 pounder grabs hold, then it moves the yak for ya...:crazy:

7. redfishman

redfishman New Member

State:
    South Louisiana
    We call that a " Cajun Sleigh Ride":big_smile:

8. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    be carefull with those things. i was in my uncle's lilk open yak and got into a big bull red. turns out that you can sink those things. lucky for me i was only about 4 ft. deep. still a long walk back to the bank when you are dragging a sunken banana peel through the mud.

9. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I'm hoping to get my first 'yak this winter to exlpore the backwaters and grassbeds around here you can't even get into with a skiff. But my BIG target is getting a shark over 150lbs. from it, and to catch my first king mackeral(since I can't find anyone with a boat that's reliable). But as far as "sinking" one, I guess I'm used to the ocean type SOT(sit on top) yaks that are litterally impossible to sink, unless you shoot a few holes into them. Now SIS(sit inside) yaks will sink, because you can turn them over and fill them up.

Buddy of mine went out the other day in his boat, and caught 13 speckled trout, all spikes with only two being "just keepers" that we released anyway. The surf has been too rough to hit from boat, and don't have anyone to get me out to the surf, the doggies have shown up at Ft. Macon though, so I can catch something when its slow anyway!:big_smile:

10. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    Reds are hot, hot right now here in NE Florida. very common to catch 20 or 30 a day plus sea trout and flounder. 99 % are released, but the flounder usually take a boat ride home with me. 3 or 4 inch Gulp shrimp or minnows on a 1/16th or 1/8th red jig head. Can use live shrimp or mudminnows but the Gulp works as good or better...

11. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    This is my rule for catching reds, put something in front of them, and they'll eat it! lol The ONLY color of bait I've seen them not hit, is a color they use a lot for trout up here, and that's electric chicken. You can be on a school of them suckers, catching them on cut hotdogs, and they won't hit that for some reason. (theoretically speaking with the hotdogs)

And maybe I'm odd, but I actually prefer to eat redfish over flounder, because reds have a good natural taste to them. Flounder has to be seasoned, which is good for people that don't like the taste of fish. But I also like bluefish also. Some people say that bluefish is to "fishy" tasting, but apparently they've never had a strong tasting fish! lol:big_smile:

12. redfishman

redfishman New Member

State:
    South Louisiana
    I agree about reds tasting better until they get to 25" or above. My wife on the other hand will fight for a flounder.( Stuffed with crab or shrmp bisque is hard to beat!).

No disrespect intended, the bluefish you all refer to, is that the "Atlantic or greater Bluefish" or Blues? We run like the dickens when those things move in along the coast. If that is the same fish, we "bleed" the smaller ones (2-3 lbs ) and fillet them immediately if we are not catching anyrthing else. Otherwise they are great strip or cut bait for amberjack or mangrove snapper. No limits on those pests!!

13. Eithne

Eithne New Member

State:
    OK
    bump bump.......