BPS Mega Cast round reel and rod?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by sherlockian, Jan 30, 2008.

1. sherlockian

sherlockian New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Just wondering if anyone has any experience with/ or has seen the BPS MegaCast round reel combo. My brother was given one by a friend(he could not get the hang of a baitcaster). I checked the reel out for him and it is a great copy of an AG C3. I did not take it apart to look at the internals, but I tied on a 1/2 oz sinker and made a few casts. The reel cast great, and was really smooth for a $30 reel. I am going to Nashville and stopping by the BPS there. I am thinking about picking up a couple of the combos(around $45 each) for friends that like to go with me sometimes.

2. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    You might want to read the reviews on the reel. It looks like they are all over the board with this one. If you go to BPS web site you can read the reviews on the reel. From what I read I wouldn't buy one, but thats me.

3. rspd507

rspd507 New Member

State:
    Rising Sun,IN
    Gregory,
    I personally have never used those reels but know a couple of guys who do have them. They say they are great, and claim they just as good as the Abu 5000 and 6000 reels. Id read the reviews on the BPS website as stated above. I actually asked an employee at BPS about these reels and was told that they have had a few returned with faulty bait clickers. rspd507

4. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    THEY ARE OK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    they will work for u for 6 months maybe a year max. I used one for buffalo fishing and it had bad gears in 4 months!!!

6. McDreamy

McDreamy New Member

State:
    nc
    i have 4 that i have used for 5yrs for paylaking, catfishing and striper fishing they have held up pretty good just take a lill more attn than other reels like ever 2 monthsitear them downclean them and relube them butother than that they work just as good as my abu's do

7. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    My experience with them was horrible. I used the reel about two times and caught some nice channel cats on it. Well, the third time I used it I engaged the reel with the clicker still on (shouldn't be a problem) well, that ruined the reel. Tore all the gears in the reel out. I took it apart and took the clicker mechanism out and it still wouldn't work. I would just spend a few extra dollars and get a Abu Garcia 6000. That's just my $.02.

8. screamnclickersc

screamnclickersc New Member

State:
    S.C.
    My dad bought 2 w/ the large spools-he has landed fish up to 50lbs. w/ them.The only problems I see is that the screws on the sideplates work loose alot.A little Locktite did the trick.Other than that,if my Abu quits tomarrow i'd buy it(or 2 for the price of 1 Abu!)

9. sherlockian

sherlockian New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Thanks for all the advice. I have plenty of Abus(been collecting for around 15 years). I was just looking for an inexpensive round combo for non-fishing friends. I had a couple of Abu 6500s/Berkley combos go to the deep down last year, because my "buds" were too busy talking instead of fishing. No these guys will not be fishing with me anymore, but I try to encourage anyone to get into the game. I need some gear that I won't cry over if it takes a swim. I looked at a couple of the these Mega Cast combos tonight, and like them as well as my brothers. I am in Nashville for a couple of days, so I am going to sleep on it and decide tommorrow. Thanks again.

10. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I understand where you is coming from, I wont let other people touch my Abu reels, unless it my brother I will let him use one.

11. sherlockian

sherlockian New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Ended up getting a 2 of the Mega Cast round reels and 2 Berkley BG 7' mediums. I liked the reels but thought the 6'6" rods were a little small for cats. Thanks to everyone for the advice, now hopefully I won't worry so much when others are using my gear.