bp offshore angler

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by slikk03, Jul 8, 2009.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    welder talks alot abouyt these he loves em, i guess they come in a 12 footer, i need disatace, with large weghts like 10 oz, and a bend so it works wit circal hooks good, anybody put them over a bigwater uglystick, just triying to get more opinoins but welder is a guy who knows what hes doing and gets some big fish

2. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    i'm guessing you're talking about the ocean master cape point edition. that rod is a beast it can cast up to 12oz and bait. i have an original 2pc/1pc thats rated for 16oz and bait using rods with this much power and circle hooks you have 2 options first use a reel with free spool or second leave a bit of a belly in your line so the fish can set the hook on the pickup. its an exact science so i can't tell how big a belly to leave but i can tell you a fish finder rig works best.

3. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    no it wasent that,he said it came in a 12 0r 15, never said cape point , im asumming them are graghit

4. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have an ocean master cape point 12' casting rod. As Mark Edwards stated earlier, it is a beast. Mine also has the 6-12oz lure rating, and it will handle it with ease. When I think the chance of catching blues over #50 gets higher, that is when I put one of the Solaris Surf rods and the 6500 away and bring out the Cape Point and the 7000 Pro Rocket, but it wears me out casting it, but it is a pure power rod. I assume Mark has the spinning rod and as far as I know bass pro no longer carries the Cape Point in a casting model, only spinning. They also sell the cork wrap Ocean Master surf rods in casting and spinning models which I hear are very nice.
    Good luck with your search.

5. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Welder is probably talking about Bass Pro's Power Plus rods which are spinning rods only and come 12' two piece or 15' 3 piece. The cost is around $30.00. I have heard they are not bad for the price.

6. Crucial

Crucial New Member

State:
    Virginia Beach VA
    There is an OM 12' (that's not the cape point) that's rated 6-12oz and goes for about $150.

That's a wide range of weight, and I dare say it will either NOT cast 6 for sh*t OR it will be really scary with 12oz. I'd venture a guess that it is more of an 8-10oz rod.

I've heard very good things about the Cape Point rods, however they are only spinners, so I have no use for them :wink:

7. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I fell in love with theses rods Good price handle well and whoop some big fish. A true test is a rod holden up to bank snaggen for spoonbill for me all snaggen season. They got the right mix of stiffness to flex I have seen yet. I can j hook or circle hook fish with em, I can snagg for spoonbill with 3 to 8 ounce weights and catfish with baits up to a pound. I use the 10 ft spinnen model mated with a diawa em cast 5000 spinnen reel with 25 lb mono I can use braid but Its a bugger to break off. I get good casting disance with 5 to 6 ounces of weight and a bait like a 2x2inch chunk of carp up to 100 yards. That 74 blue was caught on one. And all the spoonbill and cats you seen in my albums and many others I never took pics of. Yet I can spool with 15 lb line and catch stripers on jiggen spoons and trollen shad with em they that sensitive. I will tell anyone get one they worth the 20 to 35 bucks and they still sell 12 and 15 fters @ St. Louis Bp last I was up there. I never had one fail yet