Boyesen Power Reed Question

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by BKS72, Sep 4, 2008.

1. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    1980 Evinrude 75 HP E75ERLCSA

I've got my motor tore down and the block is at the machine shop getting the cylinders bored. Number 2 cylinder is going to be .040 over and the other 2 are going to be .020 over since they have some scratches that are too deep to be honed out. Blocks are $350 (which may or may not need machine work) and it's $42.50 a hole to get mine bored, so by the time I get it bored and the new pistons, the costs should be about the same. I need one new piston no matter what I do and at least one of the others has dings in it from flying wrist pin bearings.

So far all my rod and main bearings look good, but I'll know more once I get them soaked down and cleaned good.

I did notice some slight gaps in my reeds and was wondering if anyone had used aftermarket reeds in their motors. I see the Boyesen reeds on a lot of sites and they're not terribly expensive. Has anyone used them and if so, did they provide any benefit? While I have it tore apart, I might as well see what I can do to improve performance. Thanks!

2. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Another question while I'm asking them - the manual says if the bearings are in good shape there's no need to replace them. Of course the book was written in 1980 and it's now 2008. Would it be worth the money to replace all the bearings (mains, rod, and wristpin) or if they are in serviceable condition should I re-use them? I don't know how much of a difference it would really make since they're all roller bearings, but just wanted an informed opinion. Thanks!

3. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Brandon, I put a set of Boyesen Reeds in a 200 h.p. merc, You would not belive the improvement Amazing !!!

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    The reeds will improve idling and response time on accel. The bearings you speak of if well within the book tolerance then I would reuse them sense they are roller and no pits and are oil bathed. But If that piston has any deformities at all I would replace it.

5. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Thanks Bubba. It's getting all new pistons since all cylinders are getting bored out. I've found complete rebuild kits (bearings, pistons, rings, gaskets, and seals) for around $450 to $550 depending on where I get them.

I appreciate the advice on the bearings. I'm gonna have to think about that one. I hate to buy them if I don't have to, but I'd also feel bad if I shot all the money I'm putting in it if one of them failed. I'd kick my self for a long time over that. Decisions, decisions.....:eek:oooh:

6. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Then for piece of mind I would go with all new bearings. Now keep in mind a 2 stroke is unlike rebuilding anything else. The torque has to be right and not a guess and everything has to be real clean.

7. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Yup. Got everything degreased and cleaned up today. Gonna throw a fresh coat of Evinrude blue on it while I've got it apart and clean. Gasket surfaces are all shiny as well. I've got a footpound wrench and I'll pick up an inchpound wrench when my parts come in. I'm anxiously awaiting a call from the machine shop to find out of they can bore out the deep grooves in the cylinder. If they can do it, I'll get the parts on order and hopefully Tom and I will be putting her back together by next Sunday:wink:

Thanks again for all the advice and help!

8. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Machine shop called today and they can get the scores out of the cylinders at .030 over. I can get the rebuild 'kit' for the powerhead (pistons, rings, bearings, seals, and gaskets) for around $600 with shipping and they should be here by Friday if I get them ordered by 3PM tomorrow.

U.S. Boatworks here in town has a head for my motor and probably the connecting rod I need as well, so hopefully Tom and I are bolting it back together on Saturday and breaking it in on Sunday:big_smile:

I'll post up pix of the rebuild when we start building it.

9. dennis boehm

dennis boehm Member

State:
    olathe kan
    branden, good luck on the rebuild. hope your back out fishing soon:smile2: