Boy scouts

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by fishingbuddie, Aug 31, 2007.

1. fishingbuddie

fishingbuddie New Member

State:
    georgia
    ok all i need some help here i am a den leader for my sons cub scouts den he is a wolf and this is a new thing for me i was with him along the way for his tiger but teaching them now is different, anyone got any advice for me ? also we are camping on the 28th and 29th of sept i have sleeping bags good ones i am going this afternoon and get a tent for 99 at kmart that sleeps 8 has a cover liveingroom area as they say and a tent light doens anyone know if this is a good deal or not and what else do i need i have never been camping except in the army and well we all know what that consets of a sleeping bag helf shelter and a shovel. any advice and information would be greatful

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Sandy, you are in for an experience. Even though it is scouting, don't plan on starting fires by rubbing sticks together. Get one or two propane camp stoves, some frying pans, sauce pans, large plastic containers to wash your pot and pans in, gosh, the list goes on and on. But, it is something you will remember.

3. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Dont forget a gunny sack for the snipe hunt....

4. rzrbk24

rzrbk24 New Member

State:
    Pope Air Force Base, NC
    Don't forget the dutch oven for makin campfire cobbler. There's a couple of recipes in the BOC diner cookbook

5. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    i got one, TOILET PAPER!!!! do not forget the toilet paper. make sure you keep it in a plastic bag so it doesnt get wet. waterproof matches, some good strong string or twine, a good multi tool and plenty of bug repellant.

6. rzrbk24

rzrbk24 New Member

State:
    Pope Air Force Base, NC
    Toilet paper?? God created leaves for a reason:smile2: Just don't forget the shovel to bury your mess so you don't step in it later on. Unfortunately I know that from personal experience:sad2: Reminds me of a huntin "accident" story I heard from one of my buddies at work. It involves a set of coveralls with a hood...use your imagination:tounge_out:

7. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    make sure to divvy out chores to everyone, cleaning the camp spot collecting wood etc. also think about foods that are easy to deal with-beef jerky etc. you can get the boyscout's handbook at most any book store. it is full of all kinds of... stuff. not really sure what happens in the scouts as i grew up too far in the stix to have a scout troop, but i would think cricket cages for catching and identify whatever they can get there hands on. maybe a lil' map of the constellations, and of course if you are near water... fishing poles. how old are they?

8. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    For your first Cub Scout camp you should keep everything as simple as possible. Don't worry about specifically teaching camping skills, that comes later in the Boy Scouts. Most important, it should be fun!:wink:

9. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    just make sure they have fun and get along well. theres nothing that can make a kid quit scouting like other kids. also, teach them to use a compass so they dont get lost in the woods. trust me, ive been through it. teach them about poison ivy, swimming safety, ticks and all those things that kids need to know about.
    one bit of advice i can give you is to get a really big candle. when you have a scout meeting, light the candle. if the kids act up, blow it out. tell the kids that if the candle gets burned to the base, you will take them on a trip to somewhere cool like six flags or something. that will keep their ears open and their butts in the seats.

10. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    I am an Eagle Scout (1995) and went all through the program... I might be of some help.

Seeing they are in cubscouts... I do not believe (at least we couldn't) take the kids camping on any events because of their age. Might have been liability purposes and such. Webelos were allowed of course. That is why they had Day Camps for cub scouts. Webelos had a different camp preparing them for Boy Scouts.

In regards to teaching them.... it is a lot of work. Your little den will need some time and energy put into it. I would pick a topic out of their book and work together on the items one at a time. Have everything prepared first and ready to go prior to the kids showing up. You can never be over prepared!

As for tents... Dome tents are the best for boy scouting in my opinion. They are hikable and able to be carried and roomie enough.

11. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Scouting is such a great thing. But gosh don't go alone. Get as much help as ya can, cause the lil guys are quick as cats, LOL. Got to have Smores, and pancakes for sure....Lots of food! Also lots of food. Did I mention lots of food?

:roll_eyes:

12. Ictalurus Punctatus

Ictalurus Punctatus New Member

State:
    Greensboro, NC
    The single biggest piece of advice I have to offer is delegate, delegate, delegate. It's too much work for one person. If you try to go it alone you'll be miserable. Just about every scout parent I've ever met is willing to pitch in as they are able. They just need someone to ask them to do something.

Oh. and also; have a scavenger hunt list on hand. A great way to make the boys pay attention to nature, and a great way to buy the adults some time when the dinner is running a little late.

Jon

13. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Sister you need some help!! Dont take this indever on alone!! I really think you should have one adult for two kids.Have a plan,and keep them busy.and for Gods sake dont tell them about the last scouts that were out at the camp site and all the trouble with "the hook man"!! Kids really like to hear ghost stories but some 8 year olds may not want to get up to use the rest room when its dark and the hook man is still out there.wet sleeping bags are a drag.Best of luck to you and the Pack. smokey

14. Jerry60k

Jerry60k Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    My son is starting Webelos this year so his advanture is finally starting to get fun.

The main thing thru Wolf and Bear is teach discipline, self-worthiness basic stuff like that.
    Find fun activities such as going on an afternoon hikes collecting leaves and nuts to help them learn more about nature.The Camping and stuff comes in around Webelos.

If your boys and parents realy want to camp go for it just Keep it Simple and Keep it Fun.

15. fishingbuddie

fishingbuddie New Member

State:
    georgia
    that was the first and only thing i got lol!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. fishingbuddie

fishingbuddie New Member

State:
    georgia
    this is a cool idea thanks i might use that one

17. fishingbuddie

fishingbuddie New Member

State:
    georgia
    thsi si true about the camping being a big part of weblos but down here they ar ea big part of the whole pack tigers wolf bears etc. but i have every parent or atleast an adult must be with them thur this . my son is really excited about it. so am i i got some good advice from all will keep it in mind when i start the list on what i need.

18. Westtexasdustdevil

Westtexasdustdevil New Member

State:
    Texas
    :sad2: Wish you were down here. I am going to be moving very soon and I am going to unload a bunch of camping stuff. Been in Scouts for a long time. My sons are eagle scouts and I am a woodbadge member. I have 3 tents, 3 cook boxes, odd and end cooking stuff, 2 dinning flies, and ?????? else. All is older but in good condition. Cant find any troop that wants the stuff.

19. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    our friend jim marshall ( fish ) posted a very easy and tasty food item that would be useful for you to try on this and it is ziplock omlettes SP
    take a couple of eggs and whatever you want to add to them like diced tomatoes ham sausage potatoes cheese etc. and what you do isa add enough of the ingriediants to the 2 eggs to make an omelette zip[ the bag almost up but bleed the excess air out complete the zip and knead the contents you make up a batch of these enough for everyone and freeze them
    when you get ready to make them just boil water add them and cook em for about 10-15 minutes they are great and easy with virtually no mess.
    wash the bags and use them for fishing bait tackle etc. later.
    i second the dome tents easier to deal with.
    also second the dont go alone take a couple helpers with you at minimum.
    another easy and great camp food item is a pair of sandwich ovens they
    open up and you put a slice of bread on the one side fill it with whatever you like ive seen people put PBJ ham and cheese pie filling you name it then add the second slice close the halfs together and put in fire . it make mini
    hot pockets with ordinary bread and your choice of filling.
    i will look up the proper name and a link to where you can get them.
    i think i would do a couple practice runs with tent set up so you will be a little better prepared for your adventure.
    smores and chips and a couple large water coolers with gatorade or koolaid
    is a must. have fun and good luck