Boy Its Quiet In Here?

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by bigpapa15206, Dec 5, 2005.

1. bigpapa15206

bigpapa15206 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh
    Cmon guys, nobody fishin anymore? I have skipped a beat at lock 2. Instead of big cats i have been hunting big walleye and sauger! With the occasional pilgrimage to erie for PAs incredible steelhead fishing. Dont let all these southern guys have all the fun, get out there and do some fishin!!! And i still go for the state record 3-4 times a week, just a different species!

2. bigpapa15206

bigpapa15206 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh
    And I did come pretty close to the sauger record! missed it by a couple OZs.

3. bigpapa15206

bigpapa15206 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh
    buy some long johns! and a bigger coat

4. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Bigpapa - I made an Erie run about 2 weeks ago! - no luck, water was low and clear, fish were very spooky. I've been mostly spending my available outdoor time deer hunting (shot a big doe, still chasin' a legal buck). I need to catch a fish in the month of Dec., Ive caught a fish the other 11 months so I better get crackin' on the Dec. thing!

5. kaleigh

kaleigh New Member

State:
    Lehigh Valley Pa
    Been fishin the Lehigh and Delaware rivers.Last week something snapped my 12# test line,so I broke out a surfrod with 80#test line,with the smae results.I was using Danny King's punch bait.Now I bought wire leaders to use,any thought or ideas on what snapped my line......cat or musky?

6. kaleigh

kaleigh New Member

State:
    Lehigh Valley Pa
    :cursing:
    nope....expect the unexpected,price was right.So I am looking for big fish,you have to think big to catch big. NO SUCH THING AS OVERKILL.BESIDES WHEN I GET SNAGGED,I DO NOT LOOSE MY LURE OR HOOK. :huh: :huh:

7. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    I use 30# and 40# mono for fishin' for big cats. I don't think it's overkill at all. Giant Flatheads can snap 20# with one shake of the head. I certainly agree that setting the drag properly is very important but since big Flatties like to inhabit snag infested water having the heavier line can really help out. I think many of the big cat anglers on this site use heavier line.

8. bigpapa15206

bigpapa15206 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh
    damn snow storm cancelled my trip to erie on fri. At 330 am fri i was like "it aint that bad, ill jus drive real slow" LOL My lady was like "are u crazy?, u better get your A$$ back in this bed!" To bad she was so warm and soft under those covers or i would of been truckin it to erie! If anyone wants to go up just give me a hollar.

9. jrm11

jrm11 New Member

State:
    Fairmont, W Va.
    When do you all start fishing for those flattie ?
    What month >?
    I figured since we r neighbors figure it would be about the same >?

10. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    jrm11 - I think it mostly depends on the water temp. The flatties don't become active till the water temp gets up into the mid 50*'s. Ideally the water temp. should be in the 60*'s and warming for better action. I didn't catch my first one this year till late May although I caught Channel Cats in early May. I've caught Channel Cat's as early as late March in the past but everything depends on the weather conditions and water temps.

11. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    bigpapa - I wouldn't mind heading to Erie with you but all the recent reports from up there are saying not to waste your gas going up. The creeks are slushy and icing over. Road conditions also have been unsafe. If we get a break in the weather though things could change.

12. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    bigpapa - did you try an Erie run the past week?

13. bigpapa15206

bigpapa15206 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh
    no but im gonna go this thur for sure, if its frozen then we will ice fish for steelhead! where and when did u get that flatty in your pic?

14. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    bigpapa - that's a 28" Channel Cat from 2 or 3 winters ago I caught at Glade Run Lake through the ice. With ice fishin' season now underway I thought I would use the photo for my profile photo. Do you do much ice fishin'? I get out as often as possible. Usually for Trout but I'm open for anything. I just like to fish! My wife think's I'm nuts!

15. bigpapa15206

bigpapa15206 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh
    O it looks like a flatty cuz its looks yellow but maybe im blind. I dont do much ice fishin cuz i dont know where/when/how or got no equipment. but i wud love to try. im goin to erie tomorrow morn.

16. the_nis

the_nis Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    Have any of you guys been out ice fishing yet this season? I was hoping to go soon but I'm on crutches for another 3 weeks or so...If you guys have been out already, let me know how you're doing. Thanks!

17. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    the_ nis - I started an ice fishing thread. Go back to the Pa. home page, it's located below the main threads. Where do you live? When you get healed up perhaps we can hook up. :0a18:

18. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    brobert - I hope them snakeheads stay over in your part of the state. Them things are evil. They will ruin fishing.

19. kaleigh

kaleigh New Member

State:
    Lehigh Valley Pa
    after musky now in the Lehigh and Delaware rivers.Noy to bad now,caught some avg size muskies.Before this rivere were iced up and impossible to fish.Never to cold to fish,the right clothes is all it takes to spend an enjoyable day fishing! :grin-big: :grin-big:

20. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Go kaleigh! Get them Muskies! I would like to try for the mighty esox but the boat is out of the river till the beginning of May. I guess I'll just ice fish although the ice has become unstable due to warmer weather. Keep us posted on your results. Some pics. would be awesome!