Boy is it ugly.

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by gargoil77, May 11, 2006.

1. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
    Tournament partner and I went yesterday and picked up a free boat. A friend of ours had a boat he bought 10yrs ago, put new tires on it and it sat in the same place for the last 10yrs. He never used it. He wanted $200 for it but after two months he said we can have it for free. All we needed to get it home was one bulb, grinding the rust off one rim so the tire would seal and a little rewiring.
    I'll post some pics of it later today so everyone can see this ugly a$$ boat. Lots of work to be done, but it will be worth it.

2. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    Can't wait to see the pictures!

3. Justin

Justin New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Hey you just gotta put alot blood and sweat into that thing and next thing you know, you've got yourself a real nice catfishing boat!:big_smile: Good luck and post some pics bro!

4. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    It may be ugly,but you have a boat at least!If you run across anymore free boats,I'll take one.Keep us posted with pics.

5. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    I'm Probably Correct In Assuming, That There Are Few, If Any Members Here That Were Born With A Golden Spoon In Their Mouth. Besides You'll Have Alot More Appreciation For The Boat After You Resurrect It.

I Don't Have A Digital Camera To Take A Picture Of My Boat But I Wished I Had Before & After Pictures. I Get Lots Of Compliments On It But I Always Say,"You Don't Want To Know What it Took To Get It This Way".

I've Had To "Piece Meal" Mine Together All The Way. Fortunately I have A Repair Shop And Therefore I'm Able To Barter Most Everything Out. I Could Never Afford It Otherwise:wink: Elliot

6. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    Sounds like you got a fine deal. Looking forward to seeing photographs of the before and after reclamation project.
    Don

7. JohnC

JohnC New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Free boats are the best. A friend of mine gave me a 14 foot jon boat,trailer and a 25 hp evinrude. It's old(1974) but free. I'm stripping it down to repaint everything and then the rebuilding begins. I plan to put new decks,a couple storage compartments,70 quart cooler livewell,trolling motor and a 9.9 if I can find a decent used one. The only thing that worrys me is the painting. I can't seem to find anybody that knows what to do with aluminum. I had one guy tell me to pee in the paint! I think I will pass on that one. I will take some pics when I'm done and post them. It's alot of fun working on it. Good luck on your project.

John

8. YeeHaw

YeeHaw New Member

State:
    Quincy Illinois
    I wish i could get a free boat. Can't wait for the pictures.

9. ar_confederate

ar_confederate New Member

State:
    Minden, Lo
    Sounds like a lot of fun. You'll be able to set it up the way YOU want.

10. oldnndway

oldnndway New Member

State:
    Texas
    "I can't seem to find anybody that knows what to do with aluminum. "

John, I don't know for sure but I've been told that once you get to bare aluminum you should pickle it with vinegar then put the primer on.
    It does something to the metal.

I bet the folks at Lowe's or Home Depot's paint department could advise you exactly what to use on aluminum.

11. Arkie55

Arkie55 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Actually, they make a primer for aluminum. I can't remember the type right this minute but I can tell you it's a pail yellow in color. What this primer does is etch the aluminum and give the pait something to adhear too. Without the proper primer, the paint will chip and peel. Do a search on Google for Aluminum Boat Repair. You will find a spot with lots of information about aluminum boat repair and painting. Hey, I remember the primer. It's Zink Phosphate (sp) primer.

12. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Why did he put new tires on a BOAT? :big_smile_2:

13. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
    Because he's a dumba$$.
    Hopefully I'll get my camera back today. I left it at his house. We moved it from his house to my friends house Wednesday. About 37 miles. The blackberry vine that's been growing on it for years stayed on it the whole way. Last night we moved it about one mile and it fell off on the way. And the water that was in it! Wow it would knock your socks off. Almost puked it reeked so bad.

14. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    If I remember right, the primer for aluminum is zinc chromate, and yes, it's pale yellow in color. We had to repaint some aluminum equipment when I was in the Air Force, and we stripped it down to the bare metal, primered it with zinc chromate, then painted it with regular paint.

15. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
    Now isn't this boat just the prettiest thing you ever saw?

Attached Files:

16. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
    Need help naming it. Any suggestions? We thought about Seacatfish since the guy's last name we got it from is Seacat.

Attached Files:

17. JohnC

JohnC New Member

State:
    Ohio
    She certainly needs some TLC. Looks like you atleast have something to work with. My freebee was stored inside. It sure is hard on them leaving them out. I have a name suggestion, Cattalac. Good luck fixin her up. Keep us posted.

John

18. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Thats not as bad as I thought it would be.It will make a dandy boat when you're done.keep us posted.as far as names,not sure--BOC Bomber,SS Minnow,Hawgchaser ????????????

19. BullDaddy

BullDaddy New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La.
    I always feel like I got a good deal when I get something for free.:big_smile: You'll have a nice boat before you know it. Are you and your buddy splitting all the cost on the rebuild?

20. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    looks like you have your work cut out for you on this one.