Boy, Do I Hate To Pull Weeds In The Garden

Discussion in 'Garden Tips And Talk' started by sscharlie, May 3, 2009.

1. sscharlie

sscharlie Well-Known Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Stan
    I thought I'd pass this little tid bit along and see if anyone else has tried it. I hate to pull weeds in the garden. I've used the hoe but you still gota pull some around the plants sometime or another. The last 3 years in my garden, I've been laying down that black landscape fabric on top of my garden. Just cut a hole where you want to put your plants in and wa-la, weed free for the most part. It lets the rain water and air pass thru. I love it and since there are no weed to take any nutriants away from the plants, they grow like mad. The black color also warms the soil faster. I do have a small garden 15x30 and cover the entire surface but for large ones, you could cut the fabric in half long ways and just lay it down for the runs. Cosat me about 6 bucks for the entire garden. In the fall when this stuff is on clearanced, I buy for next years garden. To hold it down, I save back a small of dirt and use a shovel to put a little dirt along the seams so the wind doesn't blow it around, First year used the wire hold downs and it was a pain so just put a trail of dirt on the seams now.

2. Waterbug

Waterbug New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Good idea. Anything that will save time and energy is great. We use straw to lay a pretty thick mat to prevent unwanted vegitation. We turn the straw over into the soil at the end of the season.

3. sscharlie

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Stan
    Will, Do ya have any problems with volunteer seed growth from the straw?
    I planted cherry tomatoes one year and took about 2 years to get rid of the dang volunteer plants. Never again

4. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    How do you keep the edges of your plastic down.

5. sscharlie

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Stan
    Poppa, I just spread a little dirt on top of them. Thats why I save back a small pile of dirt from the garden before putting the fabric down. It's not the plastic stuff, it's the black fabric rolls.

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Stan thanks for sharing with this board. I have used it for years and you are right, it takes all the weed work away.

7. sscharlie

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Stan
    Thanks Mickey, Looks like we see eye to eye on this. LOL:wink:

8. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    near that hellhole dallas
    usually in the hardware store right next to the landscape fabric are little boxes of "landscape staples" you use to pin it to the ground. i will also use rocks, trotline weights, just whatever.. gets a tad windy in these parts. the stuff works great for just about any weed except bermuda grass, it will crawl to the opening the plant is poking out of.

9. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I might try it this year,I am planting my rows wide enough so my tiller will pass between them so I wont have too much hand weeding anyway.

10. sscharlie

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Stan
    The biggest thing I noticed was all the plants seemed healthier and better yields, especially the matters. Since I have a small garden, I cram it in more than I should...LOL

11. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I got some, the year before last at Walmart,,, darn Chinese stuff would not let water threw....It just beaded up on top.

I'm back to using composted sawdust and horse manure,,, that I have lot's of.

I did pick up a 5 foot wide by 2000 foot roll of black plastic this year off of Harris Seeds. I have soaker hose and want to try my melons and pumpkins on black plastic with soaker hose underneath.... I can add goodies to the water going threw that hose and maybe really grow big melons and pumpkins.

Hey I'm just trying new things.

12. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    I used black plastic for the past 2 years and it worked for weeds , but I like adding stuff to the garden all year long so I quit using the stuff this year . I have a monster tiller (roto hoe with a 12hp briggs rear tine) so keeping weeds out is easy . I have 2 gardens both pretty big .

13. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    near that hellhole dallas
    if youve got room to navigate around the plants and its not windy use Roundup on the grassy weeds, come back in a week and buzz them with a weedeater. my biggest problem in the garden is bermuda grass, an absolute nightmare. cant ever get it perfect.... youll go insane trying.

14. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I don't garden any more, but back when I did, a favorite trick of mine was to get the garden area all tilled up nice, then cover it with discarded carpet, fuzzy side down. Then anywhere I wanted to plant a seedling, I'd simply cut a 3" diameter hole in the carpet, scoop out some dirt, stick in the seedling, replace the dirt, then water. Don't think it's gonna work for stuff like carrots, though, although you can put the carpet down anywhere you don't want anything to grow.

15. Cattledogz

Cattledogz New Member

State:
    NC
    For years I have used newspaper and straw to keep from having to weed the garden.

I have neighbors save newspapers for me and when I plant the garden I cover everything (but the plants or seeds LOL) with 4 layers of newspaper and then cover with a good layer of clean straw. Works every time! Water it down good once you have the straw in place and then garden as normal without the weeds.

The added benefit of the newspaper is that at the end of the season when you pull up your spent plants you can till the straw and paper in or leave the paper and straw on top to winter over and then till it all in.

Just make sure to only use the actual news print paper and none of the glossy insert (ad) papers.

You can put the paper and straw right up against your young plant stems without risk of burning them as can sometimes happen with the black landscape fabric if not covered over with something in the hot areas of the country.