Boxing

Discussion in 'UFC, Boxing, Wrestling, etc.' started by RiverKing, Aug 7, 2007.

1. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    Boxing is probably my favorite sport to watch on TV. Im a big fan, and keep up with it pretty good...Just wondering if anyone else on the board likes Boxing, and if so who do you like to watch?? Who is your favorite fighter, what fights would you like to see...Personally I like Ricky Hatton, and I am wanting to see him beat the crap out of Floyd Mayweather...From what I understand, negotiations are under way to match the 2 of them up. It should br a heck of a fight if it happens.

2. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    I used to watch it quite a bit.. Don't really keep up with it anymore :angry:

I'll catch a fight here and there, but not really following any particular boxer..

My fav used to be Roy Jones Jr... not the Cocky guy we seen in his last several fights.. the young, up and comming Roy.. He was incredible, and back then, I think he was pound for pound the best... I used to watch him when he was on the undercard, I'd watch the fight just to see his bout heh.. Seen knock people out with left jab, body shots, you name it and they hardly would get a glove on him.....

I also always Thought Lenox Lewis never got the respect he should have.. Seems he gets more respect, now retired, than he did when he was boxing..

3. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    Yeah Roy Jones used to be pretty sweet,. and seemed unbeatable..I dont know what happened to him. He was the champ, then all the sudden lost 3 fights in a row, and that was that..Now he just commentates on HBO every now and then. He was the best though when he was in his prime, no doubt...Im also a big Oscar De La Hoya fan, he seems like an all around good guy. no a cocky loud mouth like most of the guys are.

4. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    I used to like it but it seems like all the talent is gone. No big fighters anymore.

UFC and other fighting is so much better in my eyes. Those guys fight for alot less money and give it all they got. Kinda like the blue color guys of the sports world.

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Matt I agree with you on this one. I believe Ricky can shut that big mouth of Floyd.:smile2:

6. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    I hope so, there will be nothing I like more...I thought De La Hoya beat Floyd, all he did the whole fight was run...I want him to get into the ring with someone that is going to make him fight..I think Hatton is the man for the job.

7. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    I agree with Tea, UFC is so much better. My dad loves boxing and I just can't get into it. There has not been the hype sence Mike Tyson was fighting, I don't think I could name 5 boxers. I think boxing needs a boost and put some "big" fights on t.v( Instead of pay per veiw)

8. rosscatman

rosscatman Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    What does everyone believe were the 3 best fights theyve ever seen.Three come to mind right now but ill probably already think of others right after this post number one of course would be Douglas -Tyson,second would be Aaron Pryor-Alex Arguellos first fight and last would be Greg Haugen and Vinnie Pazienzas first fight.I didnt mention the Sugar Ray -Marvin Hagler fight because I think Hagler was totally robbed.

9. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    I'd have to throw in Arturo Gatti VS Mickey Ward... especially the first one..
    They could of Boxed in a Phone Booth.. All out slugfest.. Not only a great a fight, but afterward, they congratulated each other. No after match jaw jacking, etc. Both fighters said either one of em won it and neither felt they truly won the battle.. This wasn't for a Belt or even a huge purse... Just two Warriors putting it ALL out there... Was one of the best I'd seen in a loooong looooong time....

10. rosscatman

rosscatman Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Tim your right that was a Great fight.

11. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    i have a good friend that used to be a boxing fanatic. he came to my house to watch the ernie shavers vs ali match years ago. we sat there with a cold brew and watched shavers beat ali for 15 rounds. when they awarded ali the match, that pretty much soured both of us on boxing:cool2:

12. rosscatman

rosscatman Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Does any BOC on here remember the 1980 fight between John tate and Mike weaver.Tate was a upcoming star and Weaver even though built like superman was on the downside so they thought they fought for the WBA belt when they still fought 15 rds Tate peperded weaver for 14 And a half rounds and should have just cruised through the last few rounds when weaver in the last minute do to his great conditioning knocked tate out.

13. rosscatman

rosscatman Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Phil I couldnt agree more how some of these so called boxing judges can score the way they do .

14. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    That and a crappy Ref can ruin a good fight.. I used to hate to see Steele ref a fight... seemed every fight he reff'd (which also coincidently most times would be a Don King fight) would end in some kind of controversy (Chavez VS Taylor especially)

15. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    UFC > Boxing

enough said...:big_smile:

16. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    The best fights i have seen are as follows:

All 3 of the Ali vs. Frazier
    All 3 of the Ward vs. Gatti
    And the first fight between Deigo Coralles and Jose Luis Castillo.

17. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    I used to follow boxing but not so much anymore. When compared to UFC or Pride it just seems boring to me. That and the judges scoring on a few fights, cough cough "Don King fights". Ill still watch it from time to time I like Klitscho somewhat and I also thought Lennox was under appreciated when in his prime. Best fight I seen would probably be Ward vs. Gatti, great sportmanship and great fight. Ill watch a little of the classic boxing they show on hbo and espn also.

18. joadb

joadb Member

State:
    Clinton, Ohio,
    boxing is my all time favorite sport.i grew up watching leonard,hearns,hagler and duran.i lived through a time where tyson was king and 40 year old fighters(forman)could be champ.ali's era was before my time but ive watched all the fights over and over again on espn classic.ali vs forman has to be one of the greatest fights ever,and ali the man is one of the most incredible athletes god ever put on this earth.styles make fights and ward-gatti 1 is by far the greatest fight i have ever seen.that fight could have taken place in a back alley in south brooklyn just as easily as in a ring.all time fav fighter-duran.mma vs boxing?i love mma but boxing(when done right-and the judges do there job)is an art form.

19. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Here is a Taste of the Ward vs Gatti 1 in case you missed it :wink:

[youtubevid]BWNmxKs398E[/youtubevid]

20. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    I used to love boxing growing up. I even boxed a little in college. I'm not too thrilled with the current fighters, although I will say that anyone who whips Baby Floyd is a favorite of mine!