bowhunting rabbits

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by massa_jorge, May 6, 2008.

1. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    does anybody bowhunt rabbits? i think i am going to start. there are some fields around where i catch bait that are loaded down with them. i am going to just use field points, i figure they will work. i am also going to carry a couple broadheads in my quiver since i just found hog tracks at this spot at well. i figure it will help me keep my spot and stalk skills sharp for the upcoming deer season. if anyone has any suggestions, let me know! i am thinking about using the judo points, but i don't see how they would kill a rabbit too quickly. i may be wrong though....

2. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    i think the judo points will work, think about how small that rabbit is, now think about how fast that arrow is leaving the rest. just think about getting hit in the head with a baseball bat by a professional baseball player and scale it down and multiply it. you hsould be alright usin them but i dunno thats just my opinion. ive wanted to try it to. ill be following this thread to see if anyo ne else has information i could use. and if you get ahold of any let me kno so i can use it to. thanks.

3. Cuda-Cada

Cuda-Cada Member

State:
    Jacksonville, Fl.
    I haven't hunted rabbits with a bow but I have hunted squirrels. I have used both Judo points and blunt tips. Both work but I like the blunt tips better. I definitely didn't get as many squirrels as I did with my .410 but I sure enjoyed it better. Good luck...

4. catkwik

catkwik New Member

State:
    texas
    I used field points for rabbits one time. Never again. I had 4 arrows in the first rabbit before I ran it down. I use only broadheads now.
    The field points seemed to just slip between the organs.

5. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    thanks for the info. so the judo point is only for a headshot? i don't know if i can make that every time. glad someone posted about not using the field points. it's only a rabbit, but if you're gonna kill something you owe it to the animal to dispatch it quickly. does anyone know how the judo point would perform on a body shot? i have looked at them at the archery shop, but don't really understand how they are supposed to work.

6. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    The judo or blunt will do a good job on a body shot. Still might get a pass through but there is still a lot of shock force being delivered.

Heck, what type of bow are you going to be using?
    You might be able to use a Nutter, if you're using a recurve or longbow.

7. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i would think you would loose many arrows with a tip. thats why they make the blunt tip shock tips.

i keep it simple. arrows for deer. and rabbits. well all i need to do is walk out back. i raise my own lol. to fat to run after em, my dogs are to stupid to hunt them. i do hunt squirrels. with a bow? nope. i eat mine and want to bag em lol. 20 guage with bird shot. i give them a chance. i use a single shot. and often have to run and reload on the fly.:big_smile:

8. THRowSOmeStink

THRowSOmeStink New Member

State:
    sedgwick, kansas
    G5 makes an awesome small game head. I switched to them this year. I used to use the judo points and they worked good but my opinion the g5 head works alot better. I picked mine up at gander mountain. A person should be able to get them at any pro shop. Hope this helps you out

9. Carp Killer

Carp Killer New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Go with the G5's!!!! They work great on small game.If you don't want to spend the money use blunt tips.The big fat rubber ones.They will stop a rabbit in its tracks.Good luch!!

10. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i know if i can hit a swimming carp i can hit a sneaking rabbit. losing arrows isn't that big of a deal, as long as i can keep my skills sharp, and get something out of it. i practice at least 3 times a week now on a target, but you can't stalk a target. well you can, but you'd look like a dumba$$! :smile2: i always shoot rabbits, maybe this is just me trying to put a new spin on it. there's really no challenge anymore with a rifle, shotgun, or handgun, i just pull the trigger and blow them away. shot them for a while with my black powder pistol, and that was hilarious for a while. heck i have even killed them with a blowgun and a slingshot. the slingshot knocks the heck out of them, and the blowgun just slows them down unless you hit the head or spine. now we need to dry up a bit after all this rain and i can get after it!

11. Johny Buck

Johny Buck New Member

State:
    virginia
    I've killed a few rabbits with different heads. I would use a bear head, they hold up well, not expensive and a quicker kill for the rabbit.

12. mikebarbee

mikebarbee New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    I would have to say the Judo is the way to go. The springs catch the grass and weeds in case of a miss, I don't know about you but I spend way to much money on my arrows to lose one. Plus the judo's knock 'em dead anywhere you hit em, almost. Here is a link to a judo so you get an idea of what I'm talking about
    http://www.fsdiscountarchery.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=303