Bowhunting Elk in CO

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by Mi11er, Aug 5, 2009.

1. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    I am going on a elk hunt in mid Sep around Silverton, Co. The alt will be 9-10k. Does anyone know what we could expect as far as weather? I just don't know, I figure it could be anywhere between 20 to 90 degree:confused2: Still in the planning stages, this oppritunity came on us pretty fast. So trying to get a hold on it.

2. One Legged Josh

One Legged Josh New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Get in as good of shape as possible, and prepare for any weather possible! That would be my best advise...........olj

3. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Great info Josh!! Also I would like to add, stay hydrated as much as possible. Doesn't matter if the temps are 20 or 90deg.! Drinking plenty of water is the key to a great hunt. Staying alert and being hydrated can help you for the best. Keeps your body in tune, for the long distances you might experience during the hunt. Make sure you have a survival kit with you. Pack as light as possible.

Hey Miller! I would like to sugest a book to read called Backcountry Bowhunting by Cameron Hanes! This book really pumps the bowhunter on his quest for the hunt and gives great info and detailed explanations on what to do for your hunt. Cameron Hanes is an awesome bowhunter and has hunted Elk, Mule Deer, bear and many mountain ranging animals in the western states.

Check out Amazon.com for a copy!! Great reading!!

Hope ya smack a nice one Miller!!:big_smile:

4. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    I have read it 3 times:wink: you are right it pumps me up everytime I read it. Packed with great info

Thanks for the tips

5. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I can't say anything that hasn't been said Jess, except good luck and I wish i was going. Are ya riding horses? I've only killed 1 elk but without a horse it would have been a chore gettin it out. Good luck dude, i hope ya kill a nice one. Don't forget the camera, beautiful country there.

6. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    No pack animals:sad2: Just our backs:eek:oooh: It was on short notice so I am just happy to go

7. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I have a buddy that hunts off foot and he told me that a small tarp was very valuable when it came time to bone out the meat. It will cool faster and weigh a fraction as much, plus you can get it into a pack frame easier. A good knife and stone is essential.

8. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Good luck on the trip,Jess . Hope you get a goodun.

9. okiethumbburner

okiethumbburner New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Have been 6 times to co. in sept. at 10 to 11 thousand ft. mornings are 30 to 40 deg. afternoons 65 to 80. My advice is take a really good pair of boots that are broken in, and dont even start hunting until you get 3 miles of the road and dont forget the rain gear it rains almost every afternoon in the high country that time of year.

10. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    Thanks for the info. Rain gear is something that I need to get