bowhunting - a lesson in futility

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by ozzyso44, Sep 30, 2009.

1. ozzyso44

ozzyso44 New Member

State:
    Smithville, Missouri
    Been seeing some smaller bucks and a few doe in the woods, but gleamed when I could hear some turkeys working their way towards me. I have never taken a turkey with a bow so I was looking forward to the next 10-15 minutes. When they came in, I was ready, but they made me as they surrounded me. I picked out a good hen that was about 30 yards, led her as she was walking fast, and shot me a nice Oak tree that she walked behind. Not saying that she would have been in the smoker the next day, but she should have been in the smoker the next day. I feel bad for the tree as the Muzzy broadhead is buried almost to the threads:tounge_out:

God Bless everyone and I love being in the great outdoors!

Bear Instinct
    100 gr Muzzy 3 blade
    68lb pull
    None of that matters when you have tunnel vision and don't see what's to the left!

2. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Well there is always next time. Was she movin fast enough that you needed to lead her. I don't know if I coud have made the shot myself

3. calogan

calogan New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Well thats what you call a lucky turkey. By the way, thats a nice crappie you have in your avatar! :big_smile:

4. Fletchhunter

Fletchhunter New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I killed a nice tree a few years ago in a simular situation:embarassed:

5. backwoodsman68geric

backwoodsman68geric New Member

State:
    illinois
    Ive buried many a Muzzy past the threads! Thats hunting. Ive found its actually easier to get a shot at a turkey with a bow from the ground(?). Only way I can figure it is on the ground you've usually got more coverage etc where as in a tree most guys kinda stick out? I know its rare when I can even get drawn on one or a flock in a tree. Good luck and keep trying, its addictive. You'll whack some one day.

6. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    Its funny that you posted this story my buddy Frank and I was just talking about secrete service tree's.:smile2: He seems to think that the deer and the trees have some kind of pack.:smile2: I tried telling him he needs to pick his shots a little better.:wink:

7. Gotbuck

Gotbuck New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Missouri
    Been there done that:smile2:. All hell breaks loose when they see you and are all around running. I shot at this 20 lber Tom one season less than 10 yards and hit a tree branch I didn't see. I was using aluminum arrows then and it broke completely in half after hitting the big oak to the right of the branch after the deflection. I can still hear the "twhack" and see the turkey running off like his feet were on fire in that famous penguin like shuffle they do when running scared.