BOWFISHNG ...whats the closest lake with the most CARP near KCK area on the ks side

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by johnyjo, Sep 2, 2008.

1. johnyjo

johnyjo New Member

State:
    kansas
    looking for lakes to bowfish at around kck area.
    possibly something closer than perry and clinton.
    lots of carp in hillsdale?
    was at Leavonworth state lake and never saw 1 carp tonight.

2. delbert bumbleshoot

delbert bumbleshoot New Member

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    Haven't been this year but I used to shoot a lot of carp at Hillsdale in the little cove on the state park side of the dam.That was when they were spawning of course.

3. daddio

daddio New Member

State:
    kansas
    how about wyandotte it has plenty of carp

4. johnyjo

johnyjo New Member

State:
    kansas
    i know the spawn has long passed
    but should the fish still be shallow and up in the weeds and such along the shoreline this time of year?

5. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    John what about Gar??

There was Gar everwhere sat at Perry in the shallows.

If you go through devils gap and head to the west bank and work north along the banks.

I think they are eating shad.

Seen them 3-5' long, nose to tail.

6. Carp Killer

Carp Killer New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Perry,Hillsdale,Melvern,Milford are your best bets for being close. If you don't mind a liitle drive go to Truman,Lake of the Ozarks,Pomme,Clinton.Or even a little father south theres Big Hill,Elk City,Fall River,Toronto,John Redmond that are GREAT.We shot 48 Sat. night at Big Hill in 3 hours.Lots of buffs and common carp and tons of short nose gar everywhere.Even a few BIG grassies.Good luck!!

7. johnyjo

johnyjo New Member

State:
    kansas
    so pretty much any larger body of water it sounds like.
    do the carp stay shallow in the weeds and along the sore pretty much all year?

8. LBM

LBM New Member

State:
    Prairie Village, Kansas
    Louisburg Middle Creek has carp. Last time I was there I caught one with a piece of cut bait while catfishing. :confused2: When I first started fishing the feeder down their I had to quit using worms to keep from catching the carp. Using the cut bait kept the carp off the hook until last time there.

Couple of years ago I saw a fellow shooting carp down there from a raised platform on his boat. He was working the water willows around the shore in the cove with the ramp.

Its not that close to KCK, anyhow good luck.

9. delbert bumbleshoot

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    Hey you are right about that Lee. We threw a bunch of pellets around the feeder by the boat ramp. Caught several carp on worms then we started catching short walleye. Caught a 13", 15" and a 17" walleye under the feeder wanted to clean one to see if they were eating pellets but we turned 'em loose there was an 18" limit at the time.We ended up catching 5 channel cats, 5 carp and 3 walleye.Didn't have my bow with me. Get some pellets and go to Middle Creek or LaCygne and throw them around the feeders.You should have plenty to shoot.

10. johnyjo

johnyjo New Member

State:
    kansas
    what kind of pellets are we talking about here?
    can things like cat/dog food be used?
    what is my cheapest best bet here

11. delbert bumbleshoot

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    dog food will work but there are different types of fish food make sure you get the floating kind and buy an off brand so it's cheaper.Any feed store will have it. Dog food isn't treated so it waterlogs and sinks real fast.The price of all feed/grain is through the roof right now. A 50 lb bag will run you around 20 bucks.

12. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    Waterlogged dry cat and dry dog food both seem to float pretty well for several hours. I know this by experiment. Ol' Roy brand is pretty cheap
    at Wal-Mart I'm told.