Bowfishing?

Discussion in 'Alternative Methods of Catching Catfish' started by motard1, Jul 17, 2008.

1. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    Anybody on here do it? I am wanting to try it,but need some advice. I don't wanna shoot cats,just gar. I wanna try eating one for some reason.

2. adam1886

adam1886 New Member

State:
    higginsville,missouri
    me and my dad bowfish. its a blast. we just shoot carp and gar and we use the carp as catfish bait.it doesnt take a nice fancy high dollar bow.we wear polorized sunglasses,they arent required but they are a major help in seeing fish.and also it can get pretty messy sometimes with blood.hope this helps and good luck

here is a site with the bowfishing reels we use.ams makes real good bowfishing equipment.
    http://www.amsbowfishing.com/default.php?cPath=32

3. adam1886

adam1886 New Member

State:
    higginsville,missouri
    oh and i forgot to mention that it is very addicting:smile2:

4. Cdbush28

Cdbush28 New Member

State:
    Washington
    AMS bottle reel is the only way to go. You can get a kit for 100$ I bought a cheap bow at a pawn shop. It's a blast. Night time with a generator is best.

5. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I use to shoot carp and gar with a guy at nite. He had a generator and lites. I used a recurve that had a finger glove on it and had 808 zebco's on them. Just be sure and puch the button before ya shoot:smile2: It is loads of fun and he knew some folks who took the fish

6. seokfisherman

seokfisherman Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I keep saying every year I'm going to try but I haven't yet. I would be using my recurve.

7. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    Well,I tried it. It's a blast. First night,third shot,I lost my only arrow. Picked up 2 more saturday and tried it again. When I realized it would be easier with a boat,me and a buddy went halves on a canoe last night. Gonna go out this evening and give it a shot. I did find something real useful. DO NOT BUY BOWFISHING EQUIPMENT AT BASS PRO SHOPS. THEIR PRICES ARE HORRIBLE. I wanted to be cheap,until I find out if I really like it,so I bought a bohning spool thing. It was $15 at bps,and its plastic. Went to academy sports saturday,the same style reel,but metal,was $4.99. Arrows with tips are only $3.99. I think I'll buy a reel and mount now. Any suggestions on the reel. I have seen the 808 bowfishing reel. Is it a good deal?

8. Cdbush28

Cdbush28 New Member

State:
    Washington
    I have tried the 808 and didn't like it. The AMS bottle reel is the only way to go it is well worth the money. Make sure you use the saftey slide as well. amsbowfishing.com will answer any questions you have

9. blackriverfisher

blackriverfisher New Member

State:
    Missouri
    its mostly what ever you like the best. i started out with a old bell reel then went to a 808 not bad just have to push the button every time, but not bad for the price. Now i have a ams retrevier does great you can get a retrevier for around $65 to $70 and a retrevier pro for around $78-$85 i would'nt pay any more. those are the prices of the high priced local archery shops but they do good on pricing bow fishing supplys. both retreviers come with 2 saftey slides and hardware